NEW (or very old) short story, "The Traveler"

zebobes

I just finished transcribing Brandon's short story, "The Traveler". It's basically a conversation between Hoid and Frost upon his return home (Yolen, probably?) after the events of the first Mistborn Trilogy. There's not really anything really revelatory, Cosmere-wise, but it's still a fun read. It's also a first draft, so Hoid is constantly pointing his finger, but it's nice having something completely new to read. Have a read!

One section that stood out to me was Hoid's passing thought.

“You will not find a way to restore what you have lost, old friend,” the aged man said softly. ”It is impossible.” 

“You don’t know that. The old rules no longer hold.” The Traveller turned the pomegranate over in his fingers. ”Besides, I’ve heard of a place… It doesn’t matter. I don’t care. This isn’t about the dead… or it’s not JUST about the dead, at least.” He dropped the fruit to the ground, wiping his fingers on his riding coat.

Which do you think Hoid lost? Is it a person, place, or thing? Where is this place that he's thinking of going to, and why does he want to go? It has something to do with dead people, perhaps? Nalthis, where people can Return? Threnody, with shades? 

Edited by zebobes

I wonder what “the old rules” are. Since they no longer hold in the Cosmere we know, I have no idea what they could be, though it seems related to death, and maybe death worked when Adonalsium was alive? As for the place, well, I have no idea. Somewhere in the Cognitive Realm, maybe? Maybe even some way to access the Beyond?

I love those snippets -and need more.

My first thought - this dead person he wants to bring back/restore is the one he told Shallan in OB - the one he has promised to be at places he is needed.

For me this doesn't sound like Adonalsium - someone who died when they killed Adonalsium?

Someone Adonalsium killed?

Perhaps with all powers together it would be possible to bring back the dead?

And in the last sentence with the vengeance - I believe he is talking about Odium - Adonalsium's own wrath.

I don't have the feeling Adonalsium wanted to be killed - why would in this case Frost have the opinion, they had made the situation worse and wants to do now nothing because he fears another mistake?

My friend, it’s the dangerous desire, the lust for power best untouched, that created the situation in the first place.”

This makes it sound like Adonalsium was shattered simply to steal his power, unlike what some theories have suggested that the Shattering was an necessary evil.

Also, @zebobes, might want to change the topic title to "Traveler" with one L. (Your topic didn't come up in the forum search).

42 minutes ago, Zellyia said:

Also, @zebobes, might want to change the topic title to "Traveler" with one L. (Your topic didn't come up in the forum search).

Whoops, I had a brain fart with the spelling. Even though I'm from the U.S., sometimes I accidentally use British spelling. 

• 2 weeks later...

The "Besides, I've heard of a place...." bit has been driving me nuts. A lot of implication there and not near enough info to extrapolate anything significant. Only shot-in-the-dark answer I've come up with is the place being the theory of there being a realm between the Beyond and the 3 realms we know of. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 8:03 AM, zebobes said:

It's basically a conversation between Hoid and Frost upon his return home (Yolen, probably?) after the events of the first Mistborn Trilogy. There's not really anything really revelatory, Cosmere-wise, but it's still a fun read.

I think we just saw the trees the branch in Mraize's trophy collection comes from.

So glad this got necro'd, I knew this existed but not how to find it. 

Re "what you lost," I wonder if this is related to the saving the city plot referenced in the first chapter of Liar of Partinel? I want to be sentimental and think "what you lost" is about a person (Brandon's confirmed that Hoid has had love interests), but I think it would have been phrased differently if it were a person. (Unless it's meant to be very, very ambiguous... Which I'm sure it is... Gah!) 

I imagine this loss is a side-effect of the shattering, or something that happened around that time. Hoid did not seem to actively try to prevent the shattering, since he seems friendly with some of the vessels and he was offered a chance at vessel-hood.