Favorite Villains?

I have to say, I am really impressed with the game Dragon Age' and their villains. I can't wait for #4!

Spoiler

Especially Solas AkA Fenharel. Not my best drawing.
dread_wolf_take_you_by_karendrae-daiepg2

Especially since right from the get go Varric says: "..I like the story where the villain was the man beside you the whole time. The best villains don't see themselves as evil. They're fighting for a good cause and willing to get their hands dirty."
Gotta agree, it's my favorite kind of story. I also love Severus Snape, Loki, Scar, Magneto, Vader, and Captain Hook.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:02 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

@Prelude @Captains Domon Technically, Darth Vader should be the best Disney villain. 

NO. I refuse to put Lucasfilm in the same sentence. As Disney.

On 5/23/2018 at 0:47 PM, The Sovereign said:

Edgar is a strong choice, but if you're not going with Tick-Tock, you clearly haven't been paying attention...

I have been paying attention. Tick-Tock is an animal and does not function as a main antagonist.

Edgar has class.

• 2 months later...

Novels

• Luke and Kronos(they're one package) from Percy Jackson (the sequel villains has been disappointing .. also not counting Luke/Kronos from the movies those things were the most terrible novel adaptations i've seen)
  • Ruin from Mistborn ( I am the END )
  • Lessie from Mistborn ( she was just great )
  • Valinhall Incarnation from Travelers Gate (i mean the dude is consumed by his ideal so much that he wants to test everybody in the world to protect so that only the strong lived and nobody would be weak anymore)

Cinema

• Thanos (single best villain of all comic book adaptation by far. He fulfilled the hype of 15 or more movies buildup about his appearance)
  • Joker from Dark Knight (ok the actor contributed bigtime on this one that he kinda blew every joker adaptation in the waters)
  • Darth Sidious (His prequel appearance was pretty great and one of the cleverest villains i've ever seen he was literally playing the game of chess from both sides of the board. He truly fulfilled the hype of what it means to be a Sith)

Video Games

• Darth Traya from Kotor 2(possibly the most complex starwars characters so far)
  • Glados from Portal Franchise (quite self-explanatory)
  • Loghain from Dragon Age Origins (well-intentioned who went down the path of tyranny trying to save his homeland)
  • Fen'Harel from Dragon Age Inquisition 
  • Queen of Blades from Starcraft: Broodwar (lets not count sc2 because that became a disney story but basically she's the queen slontze of the universe and she delivered)

Manga/Anime (surprisingly despite lower quality stories overall from this medium of storytelling they have a couple of really good villains .. they usually only last for sometime before the author managed to ruin what's great about them through deus ex machina or just some absurb story development or pulling a greater scope villain )

• Aizen Sosuke from Bleach ( The only one good arc from bleach has the literal best villain of the series. Nothing came close to how brilliant, clever and powerful he was in the series after his defeat.)
  • Orochimaru from Naruto (He was such an chull and he was so good about it.)
  • Itachi from Naruto
  • Pain from Naruto
  • Tobi from Naruto Shippuden (At least before middle of the wararc where the author managed to make him look like a clown . He went from the most hyped, badass, mysterious chessmaster of the series into whatever he was at the end. He is the prime example of the good job breaking it author)
  • Jelal from FairyTail (before his uhm deus ex machina .. he was essentially great )
Edited by goody153

1 hour ago, goody153 said:
  • Loghain from Dragon Age Origins (well-intentioned who went down the path of tyranny trying to save his homeland)
  • Fen'Harel from Dragon Age Inquisition 

Definitly Fen'Harel for me and Corypheus. I liked him when he first entered the stage in the DLC and in Inquisition I outright loved this character.

I'm really, really looking forward to the next part. And mostly because I want the chance to continue the story and see what happends. If they don't mess up the game play and keep it a triple A game it would be great, but if they do, I could somehow live with that as long as the story is great. But if the mess up the story...

27 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Definitly Fen'Harel for me and Corypheus. I liked him when he first entered the stage in the DLC and in Inquisition I outright loved this character.

I'm really, really looking forward to the next part. And mostly because I want the chance to continue the story and see what happends. If they don't mess up the game play and keep it a triple A game it would be great, but if they do, I could somehow live with that as long as the story is great. But if the mess up the story...

Corypheus was pretty good on the early sequence( i have been to city and the seat was empty line) then he just basically became a whatever villain because of lack of exposure or fleshing out his character.

Fen'Harel just came out completely out of nowhere and it made sense. I was kinda shocked on his reveal that he was big bad all along.

13 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Corypheus was pretty good on the early sequence( i have been to city and the seat was empty line) then he just basically became a whatever villain because of lack of exposure or fleshing out bis character.

I get what you're aiming at. It's simply that (especially during the last conversation) I got the impression that he had wished to find something on this throne. And when it was empty that destroyed something in him. When he realized there wasn't a net, someone to catch him or condemn him after the sacrilege he'd commited, that there would be no direct consequences. Then he changed to the Corypheus we were presented. Because he had to fill the role of god, as there was nobody else.

I don't know if that's all written in his dialogues, or if that's a lot of interpretion on my part, but it made him a great villian. ;)

Edited by Sorana

I'm honestly shocked that no one has mentioned Zuko from A:tLA yet, but he's the first villain from my favorite series(that's plural there) that came to mind as really compelling. As I think about it, I also really like Makishima from Psycho-pass. He's a very interesting character, partly because of how terrifying he is as a sadistic genius and partly because you find yourself sometimes agreeing with him when he talks about the way the Sibyl system holds people back from being their true selves. The only book villain I can add to this list is the final villain of the Heroes' Guide books, because he manages to be hiarious and genuinely threatening at the same time. 

Edited by Quickbronze

1 hour ago, Quickbronze said:

I'm honestly shocked that no one has mentioned Zuko from A:tLA yet, but he's the first villain from my favorite series(that's plural there) that came to mind as really compelling.  

Zuko was great but tbh i never felt like he was truly the enemy even at the beginning when he acted mostly as the villain. I always had a hunch he was gonna have a redemption arc(and it was great !)

I'd count Darth Vader more as a villain than Zuko will ever be.

Edited by goody153

On 8/12/2018 at 10:35 PM, Quickbronze said:

I'm honestly shocked that no one has mentioned Zuko from A:tLA yet,

He is an amazing character, and has one of my favorite redemption arcs of all time. But if we go with AtLA villains, I’d have to go with Sparky Sparky Boom Man. Not only was his power interesting and unique, his name (curtesy of Sokka) is simply beautiful.