Who is the god in the Elantris books?

Elmo

I"m wondering, is Jaddeth the god in the Elantris books? In the end when Hrathen got murdered by Fjon he, obliviosy, died. But later he came back as something gave him life to save Sarene and Raoden. Before that Hrathen had decided to betray Fjordell in order to what is right. Can it be that Jaddeth decided to use the body of Hrathen to do one last good? Or maybe it was Domi or an entierly other god and humans just guessed the name of their gods? If that was the case who would you think was their real god?

There are no "gods" in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere. There are only the shards of Adonalsium if you want to know more about that go look into the Cosmere or Adonalsium. The shards that existed on Sel which is the planet that Elantris is one were named Domination and Devotion. The two shards were both splintered by Odium another shard. This means that currently there is no existing Shard on Sel, so there are no gods left, just their splinters.

To expand in what it was already told.

The "gods" of Sel was killed a long time ago by another of their kind (who doesn't live in this system). Now, only their power remains in a Splintered and mixed form called "Dor" and some individual Splinters of each one: The Seon (Splinter of Devotion) and the Skaze (Spllinter of Dominion).

Hrathen probably survived of his own, he was a proto/incomplete Drahok's monk so it's possible it would be able to survive stuffs able to kill a normal dude.

Edited by Yata

11 hours ago, Elmo said:

In the end when Hrathen got murdered by Fjon he, obviously, died.

It was one stab wound, and if memory serves, a gut wound. Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't die instantly from a gut wound. Were it chest level where he could've hit the heart/lungs, it'd be another story.

Add to that the fact that he's in good enough shape to be wearing full heavy armor in every scene for the last 3 months without trouble, and probably months/years prior since the red armor is a "uniform of sorts," as well as the bonus strength the partial Dakhor transformation grants him... I don't see a reason for Fjon's stab to be what killed him. I'd argue the blood loss, combined with the stab Dilaf delivers is what really did him in.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I didn’t think he died at that point. I’m pretty sure that Brandon is keeping the God Beyond business vague. The Shards exist but there is a place Beyond the Cognitive Realm where dead people go and do not come back. A particular shard has no knowledge of what comes next. 

Spoiler

This is from the Secret History Kell and Fuzz/ preservation/ Leras convo.

does this need to be spoilered? Who knows. 

Jaddeth / Domi / Austre (Warbreaker) seem to be that God Beyond ie. figure of worship in monotheistic religions not about shards. Whether any of them are true, I’m fairly sure that won’t be discussed, especially considering Brandon’s own religion. 

Brandon has singled out the Beyond (and the God Beyond) as things that he intends to leave up to the readers to decide for themselves so we're not going to get definite answers on anything that touches directly on them. That said, there's reason to suspect that most of the specific names you've mentioned are not directly associated with those concepts.  Domi for instance is largely related to Devotion and Jaddeth more to Dominion, while Austre is up in the air. The first two and the associated vagueness probably has more to do with the power of those Shards being combined and nobody (that we know of) on Sel being aware of the exact nature of the Shards than anything sneaky Brandon is trying to do. Though we'll probably have a better understanding of how those beliefs arose once we get the planned Elantris sequels.

What Brandon has said about the Beyond and the God Beyond is sufficiently vague that he hasn't committed any particular interpretation to canonical status and that's likely to never change.

• 2 weeks later...

We've jokingly called Brandon that from time to time but I seriously doubt he wrote the concept as a private joke. We know that he hasn't done any fourth wall-breaking with Hoid even though the latter has a comment that looks exactly like that so it's extremely unlikely that the God Beyond is breaking the fourth wall so blatantly.

Besides, 'doesn't seem to do much'? If Brandon really is the God Beyond then He created the entire Cosmere from nothingness, if that's not doing stuff I don't know what is. :D.

• Chaos locked this topic