The peoples of roshar being decended fron spren

The various races of humans in roshar have several odd traits. For example: Herdazian rock like fingernails, thaylen eyebrows, horn eater bones, aimian's abilities to change, the blue tinted skin of the people hoid told the story about, alethi hair, shin eyes, etc. Some nations dont have light eyes.

I have two theories as to why this might be. The first is that soulcaster savants children might have modified genetic heritage.

The second theory is that the decendants of different orders of radiant gained different traits. While on the honor spren ship, one of the honor spren said that until the fifth ideal, if kaladin died, syl would survive. Is it possible that the spren at the fifth ideal become interlinked more fully to the radiant to the point it changes genetic heritage?

Is the body focus the thing changed by the spren bond? (I am aware that khriss believes the body focus to be a philosophical interpretation)

Which spren could be associated with each race?

I will make a spread sheet to help illustrate this,

BlackYeti

You've said before that the Horneaters are hybrids, half-human--

Brandon Sanderson

Not really half any more, but yeah.

BlackYeti

Are there any other hybrid creatures, would you consider the koloss to be this? Koloss-blooded.

Brandon Sanderson

Not really, I don't consider them, but the Herdazians also have a bit of Parshendi in them.

source

I like the theory! Just for the record, Herdazian fingernails come from their Parshendi ancestry. I’m not sure about the source of some of the other variations you mentioned, though.

Aimians aren't human at all.  Siah Aimians with the blueish skin can obviously change their anatomy to a degree.  They've bred with the Natanan people, and that's why the Natanan have blueish skin.

Dysian Aimians aren't really even humanoid.  All the Radiant spren we've seen are humanoid in their full form.

Horneaters and Herdazians both have Parshendi blood, which is where the crystal fingernails and extrahard toothparts are from.

Also, Brandon has implied that Aimians were created, similarly to humans and Parshendi, and that's why they can interbreed.

Light eyes are definitely a remnant of Radiant or Shardbearer heritage.  There's a part of the sDNA that gets changed when someone wields a Shardblade or is a Radiant, that causes their eyes to turn the same color as their Order's gemstone (or the Order that the Blade used to belong to).

For the other weird genetic quirks, my personal theory is that Rosharans have a tiny bit of Returned blood in them, which has caused certain physical characteristics to become locked in their genes.

• Chaos locked this topic