Do Shards get more unstable the more there are in one area?

Invocation

Question

Moridin997 (paraphrased)

Did Bavadin in any way help Odium splinter Dominion and Devotion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Uhh...

Moridin997 (paraphrased)

(sensing an incoming RAFO): In any way...

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Uhh... Yes... Yes, you could say that...

source

Odium appears to have help from at least Autonomy in splintering some (and maybe all) Shards he has successfully taken out of the picture. We know from Preservation and Ruin that those two could not sustain contact with each other, at first glance because of them being direct opposites. What if it goes deeper? What if the reason Odium recruited Autonomy is because the closer (and more multiple) the Shards are to each other somehow destabilizes their power, as if trying to return to being Adonalsium, and just a few together would not have been enough to break Dominion and Devotion and Honor and Cultivation and whoever else he's capped? Brandon has confirmed that Cultivation was there at Honor's splintering, close enough to see what happened. What if Odium/Autonomy/Unknown Conspirator Shard/maybe even Hoid lured her there to facilitate an easier splintering? I don't see much of another reason they couldn't have quietly killed Honor. Why draw unneeded attention?

Is it possible that Shards cannot stand to be near each other in great numbers unless used with a singular purpose such as Harmony?

Edited by Invocation

1 answer to this question

I don't think we can say that Autonomy did anything substantial to help Odium with D&D from that WoB.  "In any way" could range from splintering Devotion herself to saying, "Hey, Odium, did you know there's a planet with two Shards on it?"  Given how hesitant that WoB sounds, there's at least some amount of reaching involved.

Also, Honor and Cultivation were together for thousands of years.  They were romantically involved.  I don't think they would have been distant from each other...inasmuch as distance means anything to Shards, for all of that time.

Edited by RShara