Well of Ascension Map Question

Resurgence

I am done with the first 20 chapters of TWOA (So, don't give me spoilers past this point haha) and I came across something in chapter 19 related to the geography that I am questioning. Sazed appears to be traveling north after being at the Covenventical of Seren, going through the Eastern Dominance, stopping briefly in the town of Urbene, and continuing his journey north. Then, in chapter 19, page 220 of the paperback edition it states:

"He was definitely in the Central Dominance now. He'd passed Faleast and Tyrian, two of the northern Ashmounts. Tyrian was still just barely visible to the south - a tall, solitary peak with a cut-off, blackened top. The landscape had grown flat, the trees changing from patchy brown pines to the willowy white aspens common around Luthadel....He stood near the central canal, one of the main routes to Luthadel."  - Chapter 19, p. 220

So, the question is that when you look at the map itself and track his journey he starts at the Covenventical of Seren in the south, and moves toward the north. He has passed Faleast (Which is fine), as well as Tyrian. My question is, if he has passed Tyrian that means he is actually north of the ashmount itself, especially since it states that "Tyrian was still just barely visible to the south". Which again seems to suggest that Sazed is north of both ashmounts, closer to the Pits of Hathsin if anything. But, then it says, "He stood near the central canal, one of the main routes to Luthadel." 

I guess what I am questioning is where exactly Sazed is at this point, because from the description it seems like he is actually well north of Luthadel, but then in other parts of the description it seems he is rather close to the city...but if he is, then I don't understand how he is faintly seeing Tyrian to his south. Part of the problem is the map doesn't seem to show these canals that are mentioned in the book since it is rather minimalist in style and lacking much detail. 

So, help me grasp what I am not understanding, or is the map itself wrong in some way. I know I've heard Brandon on several occasions mention his intrigue with the idea of a map being wrong and now I'm questioning if he is messing with my head haha. I feel like I keep trying to look at the map to determine my orientation with some of these things (Where the currently two, soon to be three armies are around Luthadel), but can't seem to figure some of those details out. 

Edited by Resurgence

• Chaos locked this topic