Xtafa

Speculation: What would happen if Dalinar broke his oath.

7 posts in this topic

As above,

What would the consequences be for Roshar if this occurred? Be it Physically, Realmatically or even just on events. 

Would stormdaddy leave a sword behind?

What are your thoughts?

7 hours ago, Xtafa said:

As above,

What would the consequences be for Roshar if this occurred? Be it Physically, Realmatically or even just on events. 

Would stormdaddy leave a sword behind?

What are your thoughts?

From what the Stormfather said at the end of book 2, it sounds like he isn't as vulnerable to breaking completely. That said, I'm sure it would hurt him pretty severely, whatever that means for him.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

14 hours ago, Xtafa said:

The Stormfather is the conduit from the Spiritual Realm to the Physical Realm for infusing Highstorms. If the Stormfather properly died, and that conduit doesn't get replaced, Roshar ends, plain and simple.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Highstorms are the source of Crem and Stormlight. Without those two things, Roshar grinds to a halt. I could make a flow-chart of just how ruined Roshar would be.

No Stormlight, no Gemstones. No gemstones, no Fabrials. No Fabrials, no Soulcast grain. Malnutrition, Mass Depopulation, Societal Collapse.
No Infused Gemstones, their use as currency goes out the window b/c counterfeits. Economic Collapse.
No Stormlight, no ambient Investiture. No ambient Investiture, no high healthiness. Medical Pandemics out the wazoo, Societal Collapse x2.
No Infused Gems, no Soulcasters, old-fashioned way only. You think the Desolations sent them back to the Stone Age? Just you wait.
No Stormlight, no Gemhearts. Greatshells as a whole could go extinct because they can't pupate anymore. No Lanceryns, no Chasmfiends, the Reshi Isles sink to the bottom of the sea(depending on how long the Tai-Na's bodies are)
If the Apex predators go, their food source grows in population, and then overconsumes it's own food source, they go extinct from lack of food, and the cycle continues with a lower predator. It's a ripple effect, leading to multiple extinctions, since there's hardly any grass to support a herbivorous population boom if they lose their predators.
No Stormlight, no Listener Forms(they need a Storm to change their Spren bond). Entire way of life gone in a flash.
We have a WoB that Stormlight helps plants grow. I can't imagine what slower plant growth would do to the animal ecology, much less the human one.

So that's humanity collapsing economically, medically, technologically, and societally. The Parshendi way of life falls apart, as they'd be locked in birthform. If they aren't born in Mateform/Slaveform, they'd go extinct. Greatshells go extinct, potentially causing trickle-down extinction of the animal kingdom itself. Forget the conflict with Odium. Odium's entire existence becomes irrelevant if Stormlight disappears.

For the above reasons, I am fairly confidant that Brandon will not allow this to happen. Which means that in your speculative "bond breaking," the Stormfather has to have some way of surviving.

4 minutes ago, Xtafa said:

@The One Who Connects

Good feedback on that. Do you believe Shinovar would survive, as they are fairly cut off.

I know I'm not the comprehensive guy, but probably not. Sheer blowback from the rest of the collapses. If word got out they were whole in any way, they'd be flooded with refugees, enough to send them spiraling beyond repair as well, not to mention the plagues what might develop or cross the borders.

49 minutes ago, Xtafa said:

Do you believe Shinovar would survive, as they are fairly cut off.

They could probably last longer, but I don't think it'd be the way they are now. The Highstorms might be weaker, but the ambient stormlight still affects them.

That would make them more susceptible to disease as time went on, and plantlife would grow slower, both of which could limit population growth. They'd be tribal while everyone else went feral/extinct, so I agree with Invocation. The Shin would be knocked low enough that if one of the other collapses hit them, recovery might not be possible.

Didn't the Stormfather said when he bonded Dalinar that he won't let himself be killed and that why he will not grant him shards? (That saying I haven't finished Oathbringer yet. If that happens later in the book I apologize)