Uses of being a Pinnacle?

Kidpen

So, I have a roleplay character who is a pinnacle ferring. I have realized since then that this kind of sucks. What are some potential uses of a character who can store determination? The only one I've thought of is that she can remain focused while drunk.

Well determination is very general and wide. So maybe have the character focus on one thing, then apply the determination to that. Like it could be something as boring as office work, or maybe they're a bodyguard of sorts protecting someone to extremes. Maybe think about what they could also do while in a depressed state while storing? Maybe lull people into a false sense of security and such.

Singleminded dedication to a goal could be pretty useful depending on the circumstances. For example, ignoring fear or pain could be useful in dangerous situations, or help you resist torture (assuming you're not deprived of a metalmind). It could also be handy for things like scholarship, if you need to remain focused while searching for some bit of information amid a lot of boring text and you don't want your mind to wander. I imagine it could help fight off certain forms of emotional allomancy as well.

Ok, I think that a Pinnacle would be able to resist Soulcasting, based on Jasnah's explanation to Shallan about convincing the molecules that they want to change, i.e. when you want to get a solid you tell it how much it wants to be free. I think that a Pinnacle ferring would be able to tap determination and resist the allure of changing. I suppose this same principle might extend to soul forging as well. 

It could also be a useful backstory device to explain how your character developed another skill. They kept using determination whenever they felt they couldn't finish a marathon or become a surgeon etc etc. They also have a lot of rubics cubes they ignore when they are storing Determination. 

Edited by teknopathetic

From the ars arcanum, it states that while a pinnacle ferring is storing determination in their electrumind they enter a depressed state, and when tapping determination they enter a manic state. This implies different cognitive states with different associated energy levels. My guess is that this is functionally similar to a mix of a steel mind and a zinc mind, granting increased physical and mental speeds when tapped, but probably not to the same heightened degrees that a pure steelmind or pure zinc mind would grant. Also, as @The Forgetful Archivist pointed out, determination is a strong expression and projection of will, which I am sure could have some interesting uses if your character finds themselves in the Scadrian sub-astral. Maybe there might be a cognitive realm route to "Willing" something to happen, especially if you have a twin born electrum compounder.

As has been stated above, being a Pinnacle has useful applications when it comes to learning new skills. Careful application of this ability can make you almost as good at studying and memorizing as an Archivist, with other physical applications, like being able to exercise and practice longer. 

... Electum Feruchemy = Steroids

• Chaos locked this topic