Favourite Mistborn scene

kevinivek2

Spoiler

Kelsier's death. I love the description and just how I could relate to Vin's feelings of feeling like Kelsier was invulnerable. Just seeing the Lord Ruler killing him with just a slap was pretty heartbreaking, not to mention shocking, since Kelsier was the main character.

Or

Spoiler

In The Hero of Ages, I think its in Seran, when Vin and Elend are dancing and he starts reading a book.

OR

Spoiler

When Elend and the Atium Mistings fight the koloss.

"In the end they will kill us. But first, THEY SHALL FEAR US"

Still gives me chills.

OR

Spoiler

When Sazed becomes Harmony and all the dots with the prophecy of the Hero of Ages connect and you're like: Oh my god it was right there the whole time!

Man, I love Mistborn

Edited by Sallin Zeras

Spoiler

From a combat standpoint? Easily has to be when marsh rips vin’s earring out and she goes to town on the inquisitors. It’s perfect

From a humor standpoint? (Aside from the obvious answer, which is “Wayne”) probably the scene in Era 2 when everyone is in the hotel room, wax is casing it, Wayne is trading for shoes and Steris is giving the receptionist the list.

From a character standpoint? When Kelsier and Vin say goodbye in Secret History

Too many to mention, but when Vin

Several different mistborn trilogy spoilers incoming below:

Spoiler

Destroys kredick Shaw, Kills Shan Illariel (spelling?) and kills the lord ruler while only in her underwear-or whatever the approximation of it in Mistborn is) just to name a few.

Basically every scene with Kelsier, I seriously love that guy. Including Eleventh Metal:

Spoiler

"Fake it ’till you make it" moment just got me.

Spoiler

Destroying Pits

And also Vin and epic fights and moments

Spoiler

Lord Ruler, destroying Kredik, fighting Inquisitors.

Spoiler

Every Vin and Zane scene.

Spoiler

Vin using duralumin.

Spoiler

Vin realizing she love Elend forever and ever and not Zane.

Spoiler

Vin and Kelsier sparring and generally their mist advetures.

Spoiler

Vin fight in that keep when she killed hunders of hazekillers.

Spoiler

Kelsier raiding Keep Venture for the first time at the beginning, this is what hooked me into becoming a Sanderfan.

Funny story, right after that scene, I decided TFE was my new favorite book, it’s WoR now, but whatever.

I think my favorite is just about anything in Wayne's POV. My favorite line is when Marasi (I think) asks him what a certain food tastes like and his answer is so distorted that it has become a meme with my friends. 

Also, when Wax uses the unkeyed Coppermind and you see the arm and the words "Survive." That gave me chills.

I've been waiting my entire life for this question!! (I literally have my favorite scenes in the novels marked by post-it notes. No joke)  
Nonetheless, it's a hard choice... I'm going to have to go with these two scenes as my favorites.

Mistborn: The Final Empire, pg 489 

Spoiler

(Breeze): "Most of you Mistborn are probably too proud to crawl.  I'm surprised you were willing to do so yourself."

"Too proud to crawl?" Kelsier said. "Nonsense!  Why, I'd say we Mistborn are too proud not to be humble enough to go crawling about -- in a dignified manner, of course."

Dockson frowned, approaching the desk. "Kell, that didn't make any sense."

"We Mistborn need not make sense," Kelsier said haughtily.

And the follow-up from Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, pg 258

Spoiler

"Seriously, Vin," Elend said. "The army's tailors are good, but there's no way that dress came from materials we had in camp.  Where did you get it?"

"It's a mystery," Vin said, narrowing her eyes and smiling.  "We Mistborn are incredibly mysterious."

Elend paused.  "Um... I'm a Mistborn too, Vin.  That doesn't make any sense."

"We Mistborn need not make sense," Vin said.  "It's beneath us."

I was laughing my head off while reading these scenes.  I dunno why, but imagining Kelsier and Vin saying that phrase just makes my day.

My favourite scene is Kelsiers death, specifically the writing around how unaffected by anything the Lord Ruler is, getting impaled by spears twice, and then ripping one out and stabbing Kelsier through the chest. But the cherry on top that makes it my favourite scene is TLR's single line after killing Kell that punctuates the scene in a way that gives me chills every time

"Let the executions begin."

Dead and dying men collapsed to the cobblestones. Skaa crowded the roads. Prisoners cried out, calling his name. Heat from a smoky sun burned the streets.

And ash fell from the sky.

The setting for Kelsier's epic duel with the Inquisitor started out standard enough, then comes that terse reminder that this is a world of ash: ash which is bleak, dirty, depressing, and completely symbolic of the ugliness of The Final Empire. The handiwork of a murderous and tyrannical megalomaniac, who literally causes the streets to run with blood without a moment's misgiving.

...and yet which we discover later in the trilogy was also Rashek's desperate, and successful, gambit to save mankind and the world from Ruin.

The depth of the Lord Ruler's strategies amazed her. He had held on for a thousand years, maintaining such an amazing secret, keeping atium safe. ...

You don't know what I do for mankind, the Lord Ruler had said.

And I didn't, Vin thought. Thank you.

The original Mistborn trilogy not only contains uniquely effective plot twists in each of the three books, but also the overarching twist about the Hero of Ages that spans all three of them... But the most surprising twist of all is that I finished the trilogy, like Vin, genuinely respecting and appreciating the altruism and goodness of The Lord Ruler. Of all the things I didn't see coming, that's the one I can keep being amazed at with every re-read of Era 1.

Edited by robardin

47 minutes ago, robardin said:

The setting for Kelsier's epic duel with the Inquisitor started out standard enough, then comes that terse reminder that this is a world of ash: ash which is bleak, dirty, depressing, and completely symbolic of the ugliness of The Final Empire. The handiwork of a murderous and tyrannical megalomaniac, who literally causes the streets to run with blood without a moment's misgiving.

...and yet which we discover later in the trilogy was also Rashek's desperate, and successful, gambit to save mankind and the world from Ruin.

The original Mistborn trilogy not only contains uniquely effective plot twists in each of the three books, but also the overarching twist about the Hero of Ages that spans all three of them... But the most surprising twist of all is that I finished the trilogy, like Vin, genuinely respecting and appreciating the altruism and goodness of The Lord Ruler. Of all the things I didn't see coming, that's the one I can keep being amazed at with every re-read of Era 1.

When  you put it like that, it really does sound good.  I just can't forgive him though for what he was letting happen to the Ska people.

Cringy post coming your way ...

Spoiler

I remember, very vividly, where I was when I was reading the scene when Elend pulls out a book while dancing with Vin for the first time. I appreciate all the above mentioned scenes. They are all so great and if I'm to contribute to this post, it will have to be with this scene as the rest are already taken. As I said, I remember when I was reading it, sitting in the back of a cab and smiling like a creep. Such a simple moment in my life, the memory of which still brings me joy still.

Spoiler

My favourite non-fighting scene was in Mistborn Final Empire when Kelsier meets up with the informant to talk about house Renoux, then goes off to pretend to be an informant to talk to lord Venture. I like it for a number of reasons. It's got Hoid in it, which is awesome. It's also clever. The techniques and subtle details Kelsier picks up on (like the shortsighted trick) and uses (like the costume) came together nicely to make an excellent chapter. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:
  Hide contents

My favourite non-fighting scene was in Mistborn Final Empire when Kelsier meets up with the informant to talk about house Renoux, then goes off to pretend to be an informant to talk to lord Venture. I like it for a number of reasons. It's got Hoid in it, which is awesome. It's also clever. The techniques and subtle details Kelsier picks up on (like the shortsighted trick) and uses (like the costume) came together nicely to make an excellent chapter. 

You know what, I'm going to read that book again after reading this. I felt nostalgic enough to break out with goosebumps lol