[OB] Surgebinding Aspects?

Philomath

Question

Not sure how I need to spoiler in here so just in case... OB spoilers 

Spoiler

I have seen on here that Dalinar could speak other languages using Adhesion in a cognitive way, not physical way. So could Kaladin do this too? Do all the surges have applications that could be physical, cognitive, or spiritual? Can something like this happen in other magic systems in the Cosmere?

Edited by Philomath
Added Oathbringer spoiler in title.

3 answers to this question

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So I have a question about surges. So in this book they use this very Spiritual Adhesion. Do all of the surges have applications in each of the different realms?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

To an extent yes, but some of them are more focused on it than others, on different levels.

source

Zmann966 [PENDING REVIEW]

So, in Oathbringer, we see the Surge of Adhesion used in an interesting way, Spiritual Adhesion. Do all the Surges have non-Physical manifestations like that?

All the Surges do, slightly, in fact, but none of them, I would say, are as Spiritual as that. 

Zmann966 [PENDING REVIEW]

What about like, Shallan in Words of Radiance with her mercenaries? So, like, a Spiritual Transformation? 

I wouldn't say Transformation, she is seeing a little bit, glimpsing a little bit, does that make sense? 

source

Based on what the Stormfather says, it's apparent that while each Order shares their Surges, they don't always use them in the same way. When looking at the Aharietiam vision and what the Stoneward does, the Stormfather tells Dalinar that while he too can use Cohesion it won't do the same things for him that it did for the Radiant he saw. Out of the books, Brandon has said that each Surge works slightly differently depending on the Order. This of course doesn't factor in the synergy you can get from combining two specific powers (not a technical term, just what you can do with one power plus another) or the Resonance which is unique to each Order.

Various magic systems have elements that interact more with one realm or another. For example, some metals in feruchemy are more Cognitive (F-Zinc for example) or more Spiritual (F-Chromium or Duralumin) and Forgery is a system that touches on all three realms at once. There probably isn't such a thing as a 'Spiritual Coinshot' for example but there may well be other applications of magic that we haven't figured out yet. As for the Rosharan systems, I can't even imagine what 'Spiritual Gravitation' would look like, though I have to imagine that 'Spiritual Division' would be pretty storming terrifying if it's a real thing. But right now the only Surge that we know has different applications like this is Adhesion and only when a Bondsmith is using it.

Edited by Weltall