I posted this on General Brandon discussion, but then I realized it probably belongs here.

So I recently restarted Elantris, and-I'm sure I'm not the first to see this- I noticed that "Domi" (as in merciful domi) sounded an awful lot like Dominion (DOMInion). I also noticed Hrathen say something along the lines of "ambition is one of the only emotions Jaddeth encourages, besides devotion. I think it may be possible that Shu-Dereth and Shu-Korath are worshiping devotion and dominion, respectively? It does say in the coppermind that Domi comes from Aon Omi, meaning love, but I thought the coincidence was a little too strong. Also, the Derethi beliefs that Jaddeth lives in the ground hits a little too close to home for it to not be one of the shards. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the Shard!

Becasue of what's happened on Sel, anything at all involving the Dor (and anything touching on it, like the local religions) involves both Shards. Here's something Peter had to say on the subject:

BrandonColevander

Are [Jaddeth] & [Domi] the Shards Dominion & Devotion?

Peter Ahlstrom

Domi is more Devotion and Jaddeth is more Dominion. But there is some mixing. The shard holders were Aona and Skai.

source

So yeah, the Domi/Dominion thing is just a coincidence. It's got a little to do with that Shard because the Dor involves both but it's mostly Devotion. And Jaddeth is more associated with Dominion but it's not an exclusive thing there either. Brandon has also associated Wyrn with Dominion. Wyrn may not actually know what's really powering his future-sight and any other abilities he has, but he's definitely more connected to Dominion. We also know that the Skaze are affiliated with Wyrn in some way and they're splinters of Dominion, in the same way that the Seons are splinters of Devotion.

Edited by Weltall

Domi is based on Aon Omi, which I think means Love.  It does seem like an odd coincidence, doesn't it?  Ah well.  Also, remember that "Dominion" wouldn't be spelled or called exactly that in Aonic.  That's our word for the concept of Dominion.  Their word is probably something else.  Whereas Domi is a name so is probably "translated" verbatim.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 10:55 PM, cheezyguy6 said:

I also noticed Hrathen say something along the lines of "ambition is one of the only emotions Jaddeth encourages, besides devotion.

Some of us wonder if Ambition may have a role in Sel.

Secret History Spoilers

Spoiler

Ambition was killed at some point after Dominion and Devotion. My guess is that Ambition made a run for the corpse-power of Dominion and Devotion, but Ambition was killed. Some of Ambition's influence shot into Sel (like the SoulStone that fell from the sky, and the large amounts of aluminu that exist on Sel despite the fact aluminum is hard to find in nature). We assume the Dor is natural, but I have my suspicions that Ambition was tinkering with resurrection (see Threnody), and Ambition is trying to regrow in Sel itself. It is just a Theory, but Ambition is poised to be the real bigbad I am thinking. 

Edited by teknopathetic

22 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

Some of us wonder if Ambition may have a role in Sel.

Secret History Spoilers

Hide contents

Ambition was killed at some point after Dominion and Devotion. My guess is that Ambition made a run for the corpse-power of Dominion and Devotion, but Ambition was killed. Some of Ambition's influence shot into Sel (like the SoulStone that fell from the sky, and the large amounts of aluminu that exist on Sel despite the fact aluminum is hard to find in nature). We assume the Dor is natural, but I have my suspicions that Ambition was tinkering with resurrection (see Threnody), and Ambition is trying to regrow in Sel itself. It is just a Theory, but Ambition is poised to be the real bigbad I am thinking. 

I think a simpler explanation would be that in order to dominate others, you have to have the ambition to think yourself above them. That said, my personal plans for ruling the cosmere would include fixing and ascending to Ambition, and then consuming Domination and Devotion to become the triple shard Authority. So maybe Ambition followed my way of thinking.

1 hour ago, Wandering Investor said:

I think a simpler explanation would be that in order to dominate others, you have to have the ambition to think yourself above them. That said, my personal plans for ruling the cosmere would include fixing and ascending to Ambition, and then consuming Domination and Devotion to become the triple shard Authority. So maybe Ambition followed my way of thinking.

I just think Ambition would totally of had a plan. Ambition isn't going down without a plan, and we know other shards thought the holder was "better off (dead)". We have some clues/ 

Edited by teknopathetic

• Chaos locked this topic