Welcome to the Arena of Valor! Here you can participate in 1v1 duels, guildvguild duels, Inter-guild duels, group duels, tournaments and so on. Fights will be overseen by the Alley-wars Moderators guild.

To begin I would, as a Ghostblood, challenge the TUBA, Canton of Combat, and the Liebrarians to a tournament to see which guild has the best fighters.

Rules the Guild Wars Tournament and match ups below. The Tournament will be renewed every month to ensure that guilds don't earn the reputation of being the worst. The Guild War Tournament is a duel of Honor and Valor, no deaths will be occurring. There is another tournament going on at the same time. This is the Challenge of Champions Tournament. This tournament is to see who is the best at fighting, this will renew every month as well. To participate Challenge of Champions one will need to sign up here via quote. We high advise Rp when participating in any duel or tournament.

Important Note: Separate RP Threads will be made and tagged with the name of GuildWars: GuildvGuild.

Ex. GuildWars: DAvGB

Rules:

Spoiler
On 4/9/2018 at 6:57 PM, Nohadon said:

So, it seems assassinations are happening left and right, duels which may or may not result in death, and eventually (I'm assuming) a giant battle. I propose we make rules for these.

IMPORTANT:

the good of the 17th shard comes first, do not derail threads or host fights anywhere outside of: RPG, Social groups, PM’s and (rarely) in the odd introduce yourself thread

all new members are listed as non-combatants, these people should not get tied up in the alley wars unless they say so otherwise, new members have a 1-month grace period in which they cannot die unless it is in self defence.

FIGHTS: Fights will occur on separate threads in the role playing area.

Whatever thread you last posted on in character, that is where your character is.

Assassinations will occur in private chats, unless they are disguised attempts (IE: Exploding monkeys) if you are the victim of one and have ample ability to get assistance, add allies to the PM

Duels are a special case, death CAN happen there, with the same penalties, but if over 50% of the audience enjoyed the fight, they can be made a "returned"

COMBAT SYSTEMS:

Spoiler

Combat is cyclical [turns are taken in a regular series of rounds, each player going one after another].

On their turn, the combatant may do any action that would realistically take less than 10 seconds to complete from the viewpoint of an observer [Note: speed bubbles would allow you to do more]. For almost all purposes, there is no relevance to the end of a round or the beginning of a round.

On their first turn, each member is unaware of their adversary unless they have reason to be [eg. prearranged duel] (and thus has not prepared any actions or items beyond what they normally would have in the course of their day-to-day activities/what their base character has). On their first action, the members become aware of each other.

The initiator of the violence goes first, followed by their opponent. If there is more than two members engaged, then the order alternates between the initiator’s team and their opponent’s team until every member has taken a turn, at which point the round ends.

A character who successfully surprises another gains a surprise advantage. This advantage halves the damage of any attack the surprised member attempts until the surprise advantage ends (after the first round, but it may be extended at the leisure of the mediator). An attacker with a surprise advantage also gains an extra turn immediately following their first turn, if the mediator thinks it logical and needed given the circumstances.

During a member’s turn they may choose one or more of the following options (or another if the mediator allows it). The mediator keeps a running tally of the effects of all actions on player’s health. Health is determined using a hit-point system. Each player starts with 100 HP, and has HP subtracted from their total until they reach zero or less, at which point they die. A player can not lose more than 90 HP in a single round. Any actions effect on HP is determined by the mediator.

a.       Attack. A player that attacks another may use any reasonable means at their disposal to harm another player. They describe their attack and their intended outcome. If the mediator disagrees with the suggested outcome, they may change it. No godmodding is allowed. If an attack also damages the attacker, then their HP may be modified accordingly. For example, a bomb blast where both members are within range.

b.       Defensive action. A player may use reasonable means to prevent themselves being harmed. Examples include modifying their HP through healing, or preparing defenses like shields.

c.       Sense. A player may attempt to use their senses to discover new information. The success of the sense action is determined by the mediator, who will use a random die roll to decide how well the player does. The mediator will then tell the player their results.

d.       Other action. A player may choose to complete an action that has no effect on their opponent or them. For example, moving.

You can do more than one type of action if it’s still within the time restraints of the round. For example, run 20 meters and shoot your bow.

A player may not act on knowledge that they have no logical reason to know. For example, they can not diffuse a bomb hidden in a monkey if they do not know about the bomb to begin with. They can however attempt a sense action, which if successful would give them access to the knowledge that they seek.

Spoiler

A fight breaks out, each person starts with a certain amount of HP (lets say, 100 for now)

it's turn-based combat, with the moderator deciding who gets to go first.

the person who goes first gets to attack/move first, they can do up to three actions (other effects can increase this limit, like feruchemical speeds).

Possible actions include:
Making an attack
Moving more than 20 meters in any direction
Saying things over 50 words long

Bonus actions include:
Saying things less than 50 words
moving less than 20 metres
Burning/tapping metals
Breathing in stormlight

the person who goes second gets a reaction and three actions

the reaction must happen before any other actions can be made.

Once the first action has been called, the moderator describes it, and the second player must react, then counter, which the moderator then describes, the moderator chooses how he decides the outcome, suggested decision-making processes include:

1. Dice rolls (similar to D&D)

2. Most likely outcome

the moderator then subtracts the HP from the players and makes "debuffs" (like bleeding, concussed, unconscious, etc)

then the cycle repeats until one of the players either yields, (in case of a duel) dies or is knocked out.

the moderator will then pronounce the outcome of the fight, and then the fight ends.

of course, there are many variations, it's not just a single recipe, so the moderator may change up the rules a bit, especially in mass or team combat.

so moderators, use your descretion!

DEATH: If someone is dead for whatever reason, they have one free revival after a period of 24 hours. Following that they have their character in its entirety returned to them.

Upon a second death, their character is lost, and they need to create a new one. Unless the Unbiased ones as a group decide to revive them for whatever reason.

Anything that they may have had is removed upon their last death and given to the person who killed them. If that person is revived, or to be revived, then their stuff stays with them. You will be told asap following the death whether or not it is their last death.

If a guild leader dies (like me, @Mraize or @Voidus) we are unable to manage our guild until we are revived, the last thing we can say in management is to appoint an interim leader.

MODERATION: 

So far we have 1 Mediator, but we need more, try find my moderator guild post in the Social groups subforum.

List of Mediators:

Non-Bias: @MacThorstenson

Bias:

these rules will only take affect if @Kidpen and @Archer and @Mraize are in agreement with me

I hope you don't mind much @Nohadon

Guild Matchup:

Spoiler

image.jpg.206f01b732e3336c28c9f8e62bada678.jpg

Note: Whoever loses the Bronze match will face off against the guild that lost #1

Just now, Mraize said:

Would you like me to pair you against the LA?

No. This is fine, I would have trouble no matter who I was against. It was just me complaining about the fact that no one has seen the truth of the Liebrary since Archivist. 

Just now, Mraize said:

I didn't want to exclude the Liebrarians.

This is fine. I have no problem with doing this. Hopefully I can get more members before this whole thing actually begins, but even if I don't, I suppose I can just do it myself.

11 minutes ago, ShardBreaker said:

What format will be used for this first Tournament? Will it be a 1v1 duel, each guild having a representative? Also, will magical items, such as premade soulstamps or soulcasters be allowed? 

1v1 duel, with a guild representative, use of a magical system and items will be agreed on by the opponents. 

16 minutes ago, I am Witless said:

Will the combatants actually be KILLED? As in, no longer allowed to RP or comment on most threads until revived? Or is it just who lost?

For now, they are bouts of Valor. For the two Tournaments, there is no death penalty for to deaths will occur. Those are safe, for it is testing to see who is the best and most skilled. Other duels will involve death. 

4 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Yes. Although I am not totally sure Gancho would want to. I would do it myself if he didn't want to.

I know he wants to compete in the Challenge of champions. Is that some going you would like to? The more players the better!

2 minutes ago, Mraize said:

I know he wants to compete in the Challenge of champions. Is that some going you would like to? The more players the better!

What's the difference between the challenge and the guild war?