How long are cycles in quick fix games? I am able to get on and be active for multiple days in a row, then I can't for a few days usually. If I can find a way to make it work, I can probably participate, but I'm worried about going inactive halfway through, then coming back only to find out ive been lynched or something.

16 minutes ago, Tineye Navigator said:

How long are cycles in quick fix games? I am able to get on and be active for multiple days in a row, then I can't for a few days usually. If I can find a way to make it work, I can probably participate, but I'm worried about going inactive halfway through, then coming back only to find out ive been lynched or something.

Cycles are 24 hours long. The game will probably take about a week.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:34 PM, Walin said:

I will sign up as Whatterthose`); DRO- TABLE Elims;--

I left out the P in DROP because I’m not sure whether the Shard’s “database inputs are sanitized,” whatever the comic meant by that.

I salute you for choosing that as a name :P I’ve been keeping track of this game’s signups, because everybody’s name choices are clever, and this one made me smile.

(Although I can think of at least five reasons you don’t need to worry about posing a threat to the shard with the inclusion of the “P”)

31 minutes ago, Bort said:

I like the rollover time for this game. 8am means there is a chance I'll see the end of at least some cycles during the week. 

I agree. Rollover is at midnight for me, and since I work night shift, midnight is the middle of my day. It'll be a good chance for me to be involved, since this is my first time taking part in an SE.

I have decided that I would like to sign up, please~

I will get back to you with a name as soon as I finish reading the first chapter~

//EDIT// I have decided that I will play with the name of O7npC.

Edited by Crimsn-Wolf
adding character name~

Turn 1: 401 Unauthorized

Kai sighed as he flipped through the letters. Today, on the 340th anniversary of his birth, he did not want to be doing paperwork. He had done enough to automate the government that they should be able to handle most anything. In practise, they did run everything. The large majority of these letters were marked as updated reports, just to keep him informed.  Really, it was just the one at the top he didn’t want to open. It was marked with the sign of the Spymaster, a Machine Born that Kai had managed to hack, with his limited skills, to serve as both scholar and eavesdropper. He didn’t have a body in Alornia anymore. Instead, he lived in Maltese, a nearby Communal State. His only job was to monitor Melhi, and this letter meant that there had been a significant change.
     Kai entered Lance sight. The lights dimmed, only lit by the Grand Aurora, far above. He gathered in enough energy to form a small barrier, razor thin, and used it to cut the wax seal open. He blinked, restoring normal vision. It was slightly wasteful, but at the moment, he wanted the comforting warmth of the Aurora.
     The letter detailed an overheard, but unseen conversation between one of Melhi’s bot’s and a Machineborn. Melhi had managed to sneak a replicant into the palace in Alnoria, and the Bot was starting to hack the concepts of other Machineborn. The letter mentioned a Machine Born that Kai had dubbed ‘Clippy’, by name.
     Kai scowled. Melhi’s childish hacks were getting more and more annoying by the day. He dropped the letter back onto his desk and stood. He knew where Clippy was, he served as a scribe to his Steward. Kai strode through the halls, the guards outside his door falling in around him without a word. They could tell just from his pose that he was now on the hunt.

Kynedath has been killed by the GM! He was a Converted Machineborn!

The Game is now afoot! You may Vote, PM, and take actions as you please. Note that due to the low number of players, certain rules have been changed. Only the player with the second most votes will be immune to Conversion. Other than that, all rules are as stated previously.
I will be counting the final vote made as your vote. No need to retract previous votes.

The Turn will end in
bla_1523861999.png

Player List:

1. DroughtBringer (Player List)
  2. Eternum (x/0)
  3. Elenion (TK421)
  4. Devotary (Player4.exe)
  5. Randuir (Cane)
  6. Walin (Whatterthose`); DROP- TABLE Elims;--)
  7. Young Bard (Halting Algorithm)
  8. Bort (Black IC)
  9. Orlok Tsubodai (McAfee)
  10. Elandera (Rayda)
  11. CrimsnWolf (O7npC)
  12. Coop (Salthis)

Rayda went about her work with a smile. It was going to be a good day. But something gnawed at her optimism, so strongly programmed into her personality. She couldn't ignore what happened to Clippy. Maybe it wouldn't be a good day, but it would likely be interesting.

This game has some interesting dynamics with the roles, with each role getting stronger whenever the previous holder of the role dies. Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the new, stronger role will be given to a villager. 

However, at the start of the game the three players with roles are confirmed good, which might be a very useful property if they manage to stay alive during most of the game, as it would allow for the game to be actually solved earlier than usual.

Unfortunately Sophie's conversion ability does function as a pseudo-role-scan (since people holding roles can not be converted), so the chances of the original holders of the roles staying alive till the end of the game aren't that good.

My recommendation to those of us who started the game with roles is to be very careful with role-claims in PM's, but if you're under serious threat of the lynch, claiming might save us all a lot of trouble later. Just don't false-claim if you're not an elim, as that'll just result in the real person with the role claiming and you getting lynched, which only helps the elims.

On the subject of the lynch, turnover is at 9 Am for me, so I will probably be able to respond to a last minute lynch against me. I'd still prefer it if you guys didn't lynch me while I'm asleep though :P

@A Joe in the Bush, does Sophie start alone?

On a completely unrelated note, looking at the player list reminds me of playing World of Warcraft back in the day, with the mix of 'in-character' names and jokes, references and general 'out of character' names.

[16:34:24 - Loading personality traits...]
[16:34:40 - Personality traits loaded.]
[16:34:40 - Retrieving memories...]
[16:34:47 - Memories retrieved.]
[16:34:47 - Initialising body...]
[16:34:51 - Body initialised.]
[16:34:51 - Porting algorithm to location: Alornia...]
[16:34:56 - Sucessfully ported.]

The Halting Algorithm (It liked Hal for short) slowly stood up, groaning. That feeling of being put together, piece by piece, was always one of the things it hated most about his existence. It was a way of making Hal very conscious of its own lack of humanity - a fact it generally tried to ignore most of the time.

And deep inside, in a place where Hal didn't like to look, there was always the fear that one day, there would be an error in the loading process. To suddenly have one part of the pile of code that made it up fail. It could happen any day, and the worst part was, Hal would have no clue it was coming until it was too late.

But that hadn't happened today, and there was work to do. Hal turned it's attention outwards.

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

Also confirming, a days and nights are each 24 hours? Or is it both within 24 hours? (I apologise if that's already been answered.)

First off, welcome to SE! QF's have a combined 24 hour day-night cycle.

3 hours ago, randuir said:

This game has some interesting dynamics with the roles, with each role getting stronger whenever the previous holder of the role dies. Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the new, stronger role will be given to a villager. 

However, at the start of the game the three players with roles are confirmed good, which might be a very useful property if they manage to stay alive during most of the game, as it would allow for the game to be actually solved earlier than usual.

Unfortunately Sophie's conversion ability does function as a pseudo-role-scan (since people holding roles can not be converted), so the chances of the original holders of the roles staying alive till the end of the game aren't that good.

My recommendation to those of us who started the game with roles is to be very careful with role-claims in PM's, but if you're under serious threat of the lynch, claiming might save us all a lot of trouble later. Just don't false-claim if you're not an elim, as that'll just result in the real person with the role claiming and you getting lynched, which only helps the elims.

On the subject of the lynch, turnover is at 9 Am for me, so I will probably be able to respond to a last minute lynch against me. I'd still prefer it if you guys didn't lynch me while I'm asleep though :P

@A Joe in the Bush, does Sophie start alone?

On a completely unrelated note, looking at the player list reminds me of playing World of Warcraft back in the day, with the mix of 'in-character' names and jokes, references and general 'out of character' names.

Hmmm... There's a slight chance that Joe didn't include all three roles in this game. I don't think it's likely, for balance reasons, but it's possible. Hmmm... Joe, can you confirm whether all three villager roles are in this game?

It says Sophie starts alone, but has multiple lives. So if someone survives the lynch today, we know they must be Sophie.

Speaking of the lynch, Walin. Hi! Have a poke vote. :P

P.S. Disclaimer: Hal has no affiliation with, nor was it inspired by, any other real or fictional characters named 'Hal' or 'HAL'. Any relationship between them is purely co-incidental.

I’d expect no more than two lives for Sophie, and for them to be used relatively early. I think it likely that conversions are on higher profile, active players. Whilst these players get more attention, they’re commensurately more difficult to lynch. As such, I think it important to ensure we do have a well placed second candidate for the lynch. 

For now, I’ll throw a vote on Elenion, until he convinces me not to vote for him.

"TK421, why aren't you at your post? TK421 do you copy?"

TK421 heard McAfee's words through his earpiece and rolled his eyes.

"TK421 reporting, at my post."

Silence.

"This is TK421, at my post."

Nothing. McAfee would have to stand by, it must be a bad transmitter.

@Orlok Tsubodai

I think Orlok is right about Sophie having 2 lives: 3 would make for way too many elims and 1 would just be a sacrifice for Sophie. However, I'm not sure about Sophie converting only active players. They could convert less-active players, and then let the active players tear themselves apart. I don't think they would convert full inactives, though.

Right now we have 12 players. With 1 lynch and 1 elim kill per cycle, and a surprise Sophie death partway through...

C1: 12

C2: 10

C3: 7 (if Sophie uses 2 conversions first opportunity and dies)

C4: 5

C5: 3, and that could be LyLo if we haven't caught the converts since then

7 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Right now we have 12 players. With 1 lynch and 1 elim kill per cycle, and a surprise Sophie death partway through...

Sophie can't kill anyone herself, so we would end up with 2 converts out of a total of 8 players, with the village likely having the majority of the roles. Three lives for Sophie would definitely be excessive, though.

18 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Sophie can't kill anyone herself, so we would end up with 2 converts out of a total of 8 players, with the village likely having the majority of the roles. Three lives for Sophie would definitely be excessive, though.

I just reread the rules. She can't kill anyone when it's just her, so no elim kill until C2. Updating...

C1: 12

C2: 11 (no elim kill)

C3: 8 (elim kills start, Sophie dies)

C4: 6

C5: 4, and the elims have parity if all Converts are alive. However, in the previous projections, the elims had the potential to win 2-1 this cycle if they were all alive.

So it looks like in the first 4 cycles, we either need to lynch 1 of the Converts, or lynch Sophie and deprive them of a Convert, or else we lose.

I haven't mathed it out, but I'm not as certain as Elenion and Orlok that Sophie only has two lives. Three seems on the high end of things, but two seems to be a bit low. After all, she dies after the last conversion, so Sophie with only two lives translates to a 2-man elim team. Since the roles all start village and can't be converted, a small elim team can't be balanced by roles either. On the other hand, as the game progresses the chance of the elims getting an advanced role increases as well, so that might be a balancing factor.

@Orlok Tsubodai, Is there a particular reason for your vote on Elenion, or was it just a poke vote? Asking someone to convince you that they're not evil on day one seems a bit of a tall order.

Edited by randuir
syntax (had two 'day one's in the last sentence)