Korean hanbok inspired the "safehand"?

Iarwainiel I

[This is the first New Topic I've ever created! :D]

I just found this recent BBC video on the resurgence of hanbok, a traditional Korean fashion: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180321-korean-hanbok-the-comeback-of-a-600-year-old-garment

At 1:54 the lady says that the sleeves of a "princess" robe are long so that the hands shouldn't show. Immediately reminded me of Vorin fashion!! ... but I bet Sanderson HAD to have it be only one sleeve in order for Shallan to be an artist.

Hanbok is really beautiful! I saw a lady wearing "modern hanbok" at church a couple months ago - so elegant. I'm tempted to add a modern hanbok outfit to my own wardrobe, but I understand that the colors have meanings - I'd hate to choose something and find out later that it was offensive to someone actually from that culture. Tips from Korean members of our 17th Shard community are welcome!

Huh, that's an interesting idea. Brandon has said that he got the idea of the safehand from Korean tradition, though more from the general concept that showing the soles of ones feet is considered offensive and building from there. And the in-universe explanation for making women cover up one hand was an attempt to halve the number of people able to claim Shardblades. But it's possible he had the hanbok in the back of his mind as well, when coming up with that particular bit of the worldbuilding.

I need to wear my hanbok again. I don't remember it covering my hands, but that might be because I pinned it or something. Maybe also because I don't have the super fancy royalty kind. Mine only has two simple, non-embroidered-fanciness layers, and it's red and yellow (I think that's something about being a young pure girl). I'm not aware of any colors that were offensive, but generally from my experience the colors are usually either bright/pastel or earthy. Advice if you ever get one: the material can be kind of scratchy, so wear a slip or underclothes beneath (unless you're not as wimpy as I am).

Yeah, a lot of Rosharian stuff is Korean (Rock's stew, some Shin words, women's clothing), which gives me happy tinglies every time I come across them. ^-^

Thank so much @Jungah!!

One more question: The ribbon closure on the jacket (jeogori?) - is there a meaning to the color of the ribbon or the way it's tied?

I think "modern hanbok" not only looks beautiful, but is probably comfortable and practical too. I used to sew all my own clothes when I was young; if I ever get time to go back to that, for sure I'm going to look into this style. :D

21 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

One more question: The ribbon closure on the jacket (jeogori?) - is there a meaning to the color of the ribbon or the way it's tied?

Not that I'm aware of, no. There's just a specific way of tying it that's traditional. You can tie it with a bow, but the proper way is something like this:

Image result for otkorum

Don't remember exactly what it's called, but it's like a one-sided bow thing.

• Chaos locked this topic