Please recommend me fantasy novels with Female protagonist as main character

Just now, Draginon said:

I wasn't sure to count it either but if bookstores like to count sci-fi and fantasy as the same genre then I should on recommendations as well.

Volume 2 is already out. The Volumes are longer than White Sand's Volumes so worth the money at least.

I'm waiting until I finish reading LC before doing any of her other work

They're two seperate genres, bookstores :angry:

Where are you in the series?

2 minutes ago, AonEne said:

They're two seperate genres, bookstores :angry:

Where are you in the series?

I hate that as well, but it makes it easy to find them :P But yes, it's weird seeing the Doctor Who and Star Trek books right next to Middle Earth and Westeros.

My next one is Cress. Still need to pick up Winter, Fairest and Stars Above. I started reading Cinder and Scarlet before reading Sanderson's books so I haven't gotten around to finishing yet since I want to catch up before Brandon brings out 20 more books. Luckily I've passed the halfway mark!

Just now, Draginon said:

I hate that as well, but it makes it easy to find them :P But yes, it's weird seeing the Doctor Who and Star Trek books right next to Middle Earth and Westeros.

My next one is Cress. Still need to pick up Winter, Fairest and Stars Above. I started reading Cinder and Scarlet before reading Sanderson's books so I haven't gotten around to finishing yet since I want to catch up before Brandon brings out 20 more books. Luckily I've passed the halfway mark!

All Sanderson books are amazing. LC is great, though.

Anne McCaffrey and the Pern series, if you like dragons and telepathy.  I think the first in the series is Dragonflight, which has a female lead. After that it's book by book.

And I was going to say the Eli Monpress trilogy as well, but two people beat me to it! 

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

All Sanderson books are amazing. LC is great, though.

Yes his books are amazing... unless you're a late arriver like me since it means in order to catch up with everyone you have to forgo reading anything else. That's the only negative I can give to Brandon. I can't wait to get out of the Sanderson and into another author's mind after reading Oathbringer, which should be the final Sanderson unless I can't finish catching up by the time Legion and Skyward arrive.

I loved LC by the time I finished Cinder. I'm not the biggest romance lover, it tends to feel cringey and forced, but I loved the romance between Cinder and Kai and Scarlet and Wolf. It was easy to predict the Cinderella tropes for Cinder, but I did love the changes like Peony loving her as a sister instead of as a 'machine', but I was more curious on how the Red Riding Hood stuff would work for Scarlet and liked the direction Mrs Meyer went, like having the wolf pretty much be two characters and granny being a badass. I also think it's cool that she made the Snow White character Black instead of the predictable pale red lipped girl showing that anyone can be Snow White, and by association beautiful. I really hope Hollywood decides to make movies since this would be a great series of films, though I wonder what race they'd look for for Cinder since I imagined her looking a little Chinese since no one mentioned her looking like a foreigner but knowing Hollywood they'd probably whitewash her.

5 hours ago, Wordsmith said:

There is also Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. Its a six book series, and it has four main characters, with two of them being female, and one of them is a magic user.

YASSSSSSS Falling Kingdoms is fantastic! Just recently got my hands on a Kindle copy of Immortal Reign and am very excited to start reading it. :D

1 hour ago, Zellyia said:

And I was going to say the Eli Monpress trilogy as well, but two people beat me to it! 

Yay, another fan! Although FYI, Eli Monpress is a 5-book series, not a trilogy. (A quintology? :P)

1 minute ago, Ammanas said:

I think you are looking for more of young adult books, but if you don't mind a more grown up novel Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie is really good.

Both are fine, adult or young, female main character, magic system, can have tragic sad ending. 

Just now, Ammanas said:

Ah Ok then! Another more toned down series is the Empire Trilogy By Feist and Wurts. The first one is Daughter of the Empire and it is a trilogy.

Thanks much!  I should also note that violence and sex are fine as well, but within reason.  I like the lore and world of Game of thrones, but sometimes it just feels like its too much in that series at times.

15 hours ago, Sunbird said:

YASSSSSSS Falling Kingdoms is fantastic! Just recently got my hands on a Kindle copy of Immortal Reign and am very excited to start reading it. :D

Its good. I finished Immortal Reign in about a day when I got hold of a copy. I really hope that she continues to write more in that world.

I also noticed that you read the Seven Realms books. Have you read her other series the Shattered Realms? It's a continuation of the seven realms but it focuses in on the main characters children as some of the new main characters. In my mind it's just as good as the original series.

I also have another recommendation. Any book by Tamora Pierce, she tends to write medieval fantasy. Most of her books take place in a world called Tortall, and she almost always writes female main characters. She has multiple series in the world, but they tend to max out around four books. I would starting with the first series in the world, which is the Song of the Lioness.

1 hour ago, Wordsmith said:

I also have another recommendation. Any book by Tamora Pierce, she tends to write medieval fantasy. Most of her books take place in a world called Tortall, and she almost always writes female main characters. She has multiple series in the world, but they tend to max out around four books. I would starting with the first series in the world, which is the Song of the Lioness.

Seconded, Tamora Pierce is a really good writer. Another series of hers set in a different world is called Circle of Magic. The first book is called Sandry's Book, which is a boring title but not a boring book.

I love the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo. There are six main characters, and two of them are female. One of the female characters, Inej, is one of my favorite non-Sanderson characters of all time. She has a lot of chapters in her perspective, if I remember correctly.

Terry Pratchett has a TON of books. The ones with females as the main character (or at least, has a main PoV) are

Monstrous Regiment (A country has been at war for so long that their most recently recruited regiment is composed solely of women dressed up as men)

Nation (An islander boy and a shipwrecked girl must survive and rebuild on an island after a tsunami)

Any of the books about Death (not Mort), so Hogfather, Soul Music 

The Tiffany Aching series (Magic + Witches + a young girl + cussing scottish fairies)

The Witch series (A Mother, a Maid, and a Crone go about saving their town/small kingdom from various enemies)

I do not know if anyone is still watching this, but in case you are, I am also looking for high fantasy or urban fantasy stories that involve same sex pairings as main characters, specifically the f/f sort because that's what speaks most to me on a personal level.  That and I do not know of many that can be romantic and sexy, but still have the lore and world building of a Sanderson novel.

I have a few on my amazon to get list, but I need more if possible.

What I have so far is:

the pyramind waltz (4 book series by Barbara Ann Wright)

Wolfsbane Winter by jane Fletcher

The one who eats monsters (wind and shadow series, only one book so far by Casey matthews)

So yeah, anything with gods, monsters, evil spirits, undead, magic, swords and f/f relationships would be really nice.

I don't think anyone else had suggested this yet, but one series I've been running through lately is the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I think there are five books (maybe six?) currently. It's not over yet, though, so it might not fit your space/budget requirements.

It doesn't have f/f main character romance, but there are some similar pairings in supporting characters.

Edited by Elandera

17 minutes ago, Elandera said:

I don't think anyone else had suggested this yet, but one series I've been running through lately is the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I think there are five books (maybe six?) currently. It's not over yet, though, so it might not fit your space/budget requirements.

It doesn't have f/f main character romance, but there are some similar pairings in supporting characters.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you have mentioned this one!  It's actually on my wishlist at amazon, and has been for while now, actually.  It's my next collection goal if at all possible!

2 minutes ago, Ilythyrra said:

I can't tell you how happy I am that you have mentioned this one!  It's actually on my wishlist at amazon, and has been for while now, actually.  It's my next collection goal if at all possible!

It's a great series. I just finished the last one out currently. It gets a bit more sexually graphic as the series goes on, but it's pretty mild (especially compared to Game of Thrones).

37 minutes ago, Elandera said:

It's a great series. I just finished the last one out currently. It gets a bit more sexually graphic as the series goes on, but it's pretty mild (especially compared to Game of Thrones).

I'm very much looking forward to it.

I recently started the Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. I haven't finished (currently about 1/3 through the second book) but it seems like it is a good series. The first two books won the Novel Hugo Award in 2016 and 2017 respectively and the third book is up for the Novel Hugo 2018. The beginning of the first book is a bit strange (at first, probably makes a lot more sense after knowing more about the world) but once you get through that it opens to 3 storylines with female protagonists and picks up. There's no real sword-fighting (so far at least) but there is a sort of magic that is tied closely with the central story.

I actually enjoyed Chase The Dark by Annette Marie. Stone and Steel series, 5 books. Its urban but no guns and stuff. Female PoV, paranormal/romance/fantasy book. Actually one of my favorite series. 

The Old Kingdom series (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel, Goldenhand) is also one of my top 5 favorite series, I HIGHLY recommend them. I would read them in a slightly different order tho, i would read 1, 4, 2, 3, 5. (Clariel is 600 years before Sabriel and has some neat stuff dealing with Lirael)

Air Awakens is also a choice, its on my to-read list.

Red Sister is also on my to-read list, i believe its Female PoV

Edited by Niteshado

• 2 weeks later...