Ahan (Very minor Stormlight Archives spoilers)

Bort

So, reading Elantris again, and I was struck at how similar Ahan and Sebarial (Stormlight Archives) are, which makes me wonder if they are, in fact, the same person. If they are, could Palona be the worldhopping Kandra?

I would think might be unlikely despite their similar interest in trading and appearance. Isn't Ahan one of the older group members in Elantris? If he moved to Roshar I think it would be hard for him to become a high prince with no familial ties and already being older without questions arising. The other consideration would be the time gap since I believe the storyline in Elantris happens waaaaaaaay before Stormlight Archive (but other characters have somehow lasted that long so I suppose it's possible). Also, didn't Ahan change somewhat dramatically after he betrayed the group, in attitude and appearance?

10 minutes ago, Bort said:

You may be right, but I thought it could be fun speculation.

It is an interesting thought. Just another one of those things that probably can't be definitively proved or disproved at the moment.

If Ahan was a worldhopper like you speculate, why do you think Paloma would be a Kandra? Just because it's unlikely Ahan would be worldhopping solo or is there something else that leads you in this direction? I don't think I paid any more attention to Sebarial or Paloma's speaking patterns to notice, but is there anything they say that sticks out as odd?

Not really. It was the similarities between Sebarial and Ahan that struck me. And if Ahan is married in Elantris, and is with Palona in Stormlight, then why not have her as the Kandra?

Aren't all the Alethi highprinces descendents of the Sunmaker? And that they're all interrelated, with lineages and family lines and stuff? I don't think that Ahan from Elantris (which would be something near 1000 years before WoK) would manage to insinuate himself into society to such a degree that he would be able to be an Alethi highprince.

Yeah

“Ephemeral! He reforged Alethkar, Brightlord! You shouldn’t speak so of one like him. You’re his descendant, correct?”

“We all are,” Gavilar said. “House Kholin, House Sadeas … all ten princedoms. Their founders were his sons, you know. So yes, signs of his touch are here—yet his empire didn’t last even a single generation past his death. Leaves me wondering what was wrong with his vision, his planning, that his great empire broke apart so quickly.”

3 hours ago, RShara said:

Aren't all the Alethi highprinces descendents of the Sunmaker? And that they're all interrelated, with lineages and family lines and stuff? I don't think that Ahan from Elantris (which would be something near 1000 years before WoK) would manage to insinuate himself into society to such a degree that he would be able to be an Alethi highprince.

I see your point here, but we have precedent that not all Highprinces have to be descended from Sunmaker - Amaram. Sadeas' wife basically makes him Highprince, and so far as we know, he's not of Sadeas' line.

28 minutes ago, RShara said:

She made him the equivalent of a highprince, yeah, but not actually highprince.  He was a regent for Sadeas and Ialai's nephew, who was the actual heir.

They kind of made it sound like he was a Sadeas though, since they called him Sadeas a couple of times. Maybe Ialai adopted him. 

23 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

They kind of made it sound like he was a Sadeas though, since they called him Sadeas a couple of times. Maybe Ialai adopted him. 

Right, he was, in essence, Highlord Sadeas because he was in that position.  But it was as a regent for the actual heir.

6 minutes ago, cheezyguy6 said:

Is the other direction possible? Could it be that Sabarial went to Sel, set up shop, and used his highprince riches to get into a position of power after the Reod?

Nope.  Stormlight takes place centuries after Elantris, possibly even over 1000 years.

• 2 months later...

In OB Sebarial is referred to several times in Dalinar's flashbacks, demonstrating that he has been aging on Roshar as a normal Rosharan (he's called Dalinar's "young friend" or something like that in one of them, though Dalinar denies the friendship)...so he almost certainly isn't Ahan.

• Chaos locked this topic