How long to you think it will take Brando to finish his adult novel cosmere books?

We know that there are more mistborn books planned, I'm guessing at the very least 4 books there.  another sequel to both warbreaker and elantris, and 7 more books in the stormlight archive series, not to mention any other adult fantasy novels in the cosmere between all that?

How many years do you think it will be before we have the final cosmere series for lack of a better term?

he pumps out books pretty fast, but it's a lot of stories and a lot of sequels to those stories.

Thirty+ years would be my guess. Stormlight takes time, and his side-projects are slowing him down.

There will be at least seven more Mistborn books (final Wax&Wayne book, along with two more trilogies). Then we will have two Elantris sequels, at least one book focused on Hoid and the Shattering, and then maybe one on Threnody. And, of course, the Stormlight books.

In addition to all these, we might get other stories which Brandon hasn't announced yet.

I believe we'll never see the end of it. Brandon has to make 7 more stormlight books (with a hiatus in the middle for the mistborn contemporary era), and the mistborn future era will be written after the end of stormlight, and after that there should be a saga about the origin taking 7 more big books. So assuming brandon takes 3 years between large books and 1 year between medium books, it's 7*3 + 3 + 3 + 7*3 = 48 years. That's if brandon sticks to his schedule. Of course there will be a lot of side projects between those main ones.

Brandon may manage to trim it down to his natural lifespan if he wrote as side projects books that are due at a later date. So in the year he passes between working on two stomrlight books, he may write a mistborn future age book, which won't be published until later. Well, he certainly has the money to afford writing a book and keeping it in the closet for a decade, but I don't think it will happen; it's against any kind of editorial policy. And he seems to be taking more side projects as time goes on.

Edited by king of nowhere

22 minutes ago, Belzedar said:

Sadly, Brando has passed away. He will not be finishing any novels.

We can honor his memory by enjoying his performances in The Godfather and Streetcar Named Desire.

Well played.  Sorry about that, lol!

Well considering what he has to finish here's a rough estimate:

Elantris sequels -~4 months each

Nightblood- ~4 months

~7 Mistborn books (depends on if he sticks to the current known ones)- ~4-5 months each

Threnody book?- I'll give him about 4 months if it's roughly the size of a Mistborn

7 Stormlight books- ~2-3 years each

Dragonsteel 4-7 books- This is the tricky one since we don't know if these will be Stormlight big or Mistborn big so it could be anywhere from ~4 months to ~3 years each

If my calculations are correct then we're looking at a rough estimate of 3 years 8 months for everything before Stormlight, 14-21 years for Stormlight and anywhere between 16 months to 21 years for Dragonsteel. At the absolute shortest we have 19 years and at the longest we have 44 years 8 months.

All this though is assuming Brandon wrote only these books, no short stories and forgoes his non-Cosmere stories. I mean with these estimates I'll be 48 on the low end and 61 on the high end so either it's going to be a long while before any of us finish. I'm just going to feel sorry for those who are 40+ right now for obvious reasons.

Should we worry that he has taken too much on for himself?  We are here because we love his work, and will continue to support him, but it would really be sad if something happened to him and someone else had to finish his work, like he did for Robert Jordan

He's in his 40's currently, is he not?

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

Well considering what he has to finish here's a rough estimate:

Elantris sequels -~4 months each

Nightblood- ~4 months

~7 Mistborn books (depends on if he sticks to the current known ones)- ~4-5 months each

Threnody book?- I'll give him about 4 months if it's roughly the size of a Mistborn

7 Stormlight books- ~2-3 years each

Dragonsteel 4-7 books- This is the tricky one since we don't know if these will be Stormlight big or Mistborn big so it could be anywhere from ~4 months to ~3 years each

If my calculations are correct then we're looking at a rough estimate of 3 years 8 months for everything before Stormlight, 14-21 years for Stormlight and anywhere between 16 months to 21 years for Dragonsteel. At the absolute shortest we have 19 years and at the longest we have 44 years 8 months.

All this though is assuming Brandon wrote only these books, no short stories and forgoes his non-Cosmere stories. I mean with these estimates I'll be 48 on the low end and 61 on the high end so either it's going to be a long while before any of us finish. I'm just going to feel sorry for those who are 40+ right now for obvious reasons.

there is an error in your calculation: a stormlight book takes one year from brandon. he releases one every three years because he alternates with other projects. So you have to cut some 10 years from the estimate. It would be perfectly feasible if brandon didn't seek too many side projects, but we know he will.

35 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

there is an error in your calculation: a stormlight book takes one year from brandon. he releases one every three years because he alternates with other projects. So you have to cut some 10 years from the estimate. It would be perfectly feasible if brandon didn't seek too many side projects, but we know he will.

I was taking into account how it takes 1 year of outlining, 1 year of getting the first draft written and 1 year of getting the second draft to release done. I know the outlining and the third year I'm counting probably shouldn't count, because of overlapping with working on other stuff, but since it's a much bigger toll than any of his other books it's probably justified to count it as more than 1 year.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

I think I remember Brandon saying that Dragonsteel had been reduced down to something like 4-5 books due to the removal of Bridge 4/the Shattered Plains, but I can't seem to find the source.  

The current estimate for Dragonsteel is three to five books including Hoid's prequel story. The actual content is up in the air owing to how much stuff he's removed but he's also added things that weren't in his initial outline. As of a year ago, he'd ballparked that it would take about fourteen years until he got to it. Probably going to be longer in practice since his 'two years per SA book' has gotten a just bit out of alignment, but he'd already acknowledged that before that WoB so maybe he thinks it'll go faster towards the end? I imagine that with most of the plot 'locked in' there will be somewhat fewer decisions he has to make with each additional book, so maybe the last two will come out closer together or something like that.

On the Shattered Plains thing, while removing it took out a chunk of Dragonsteel Prime's story, that in itself probably isn't a huge issue for rewriting the book. Brandon has stated that it was always a diversion, a way to get his protagonist where he needed to be but which wasn't essential to the big picture. Brandon said that it was the best part of the current draft, but the entire thing is going to be rewritten anyways so relative quality's sort of moot.

And this has been your regularly scheduled rambling on Dragonsteel, so I can externalize my burning desire for the books to be out so I can devour them. :D

On 4/7/2018 at 1:31 PM, Ilythyrra said:

He's in his 40's currently, is he not?

He is currently the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything years old. So, plenty of time for him to write everything he wants to as long as he remains healthy. And if not, remember the magic words to say at signings: My life to yours, my Breath become yours.

• Chaos locked this topic