Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

56 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

SE has already done terrible things to my sleep. I'm barely clocking in 7 hours a night as it is, and I like functioning :(

You get 7 hours of sleep a night? Lucky...

Well no worries, I won't pester you anymore. I definitely do not want a repeat of Orlok's situation in AG3. You've been added to the spectator list.

23 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Welcome! Always great to see new players :) 

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Sweet, welcome aboard!

Thanks again!

Oh, and just out of curiosity, in this game, are @Fifth Scholar, @Herowannabe and @Orlok Tsubodai characters that are just immune to the effects of the game? If so what are their characters? Or are they more like Shards (or splinters, since we are on Sel) or in real-world terms, General game masters that watch from above(or sidelines), and help control game features? I've seen both types of game, so I'm just curious.

Edited by Cadmium Compounder

Fifth Scholar, Elbereth and Herowannabe are running the game, here. They don't interact with the players other than in rule clarifications or in PMs. So, yes, they're the game masters pretty much, making sure the game runs smoothly.

Orlok is.. a judge, in a way. If any disputes happen during the game, it's his job to deal with them, basically. It's more than that, but I don't know much about how IMs work.

@Cadmium Compounder

This looks like a really cool game! Sadly I wont be able to play in it, could I have a link to a spec doc? I wish the GM's the best of luck. I would like to give you all a kitt named Fiz to provide moral support and cuddling so during your mod days. Here is also a bendalloy medallion, full of energy for each of you to keep you guys going.

Do you accept my gift? @Herowannabe@Fifth Scholar @Elberethand @Orlok Tsubodai

Spoiler

download.jpeg

Edited by Tineye Navigator

Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius wasn't new to courts, but he had visited others much more than he had visited this particular court in the past. It was odd, considering that he lived in Arelon. Not that he had any notion of belonging in Arelon, he had been moving around for far too long to truly belong anywhere. No, this court was simply the starting point for his next business venture. His business was trading secrets; it didn't matter if they were big secrets, small secrets, personal secrets, international secrets, secrets about the universe itself - ANGUS could find them all, and there were all sorts of secrets in the room before him.

ANGUS straightened his overcoat and tugged on his cuffs. He worried that he may have overdressed, especially with the heat he felt coming from the mingling bodies in the room. He took a purposeful stride forward, motioning for a serving boy to fetch him a cold drink. His actions were curt and swift, every movement ripe with intent to find every secret hidden in the palace. His eyes scanned the crowd in search of a story to hear. The serving boy returned carrying a red drink with ice chips chilling the glass so water condensed on the side.

Eventually, ANGUS' gaze fell on his associate Iredon standing by a wall. The slender man was the middle man that ANGUS used to keep suspicion off of himself; well Iredon was the latest middle man he used. They never seemed to last long, the poor things. Something about revealing the secrets of powerful individuals tended to bring a certain . . . excitement to an individuals life. Finding good men seemed more and more difficult these days, there was hardly anyone he could trust anymore. Regardless, Iredon had done well for himself and had lasted longer than nearly any of his other operatives. ANGUS made his way over to the man and clasped his hand as if meeting an old friend.

"Iredon! My good fellow, how fare you?"

"Food's good, music stinks, too brightly lit for me. Overall, I'd say not great." The man did have a frightening look about him, all tall and gloomy.

"Bah, I'm sure you can make it through the night, at least until I find my next investment. I need to garner money for the orphanages somehow." ANGUS turned to stand on Iredon's left side, facing the rest of the crowd head on.

"Yeah, whatever you say Gus. I'm gonna find some place to lay low. People have gotten to starin' at me."

ANGUS turned his head ans spoke in a muted voice "I know you must refrain from revealing the nature of our relationship as employer and employee, but please stop calling me Gus. It's demeaning!"

At that comment, Iredon grunted and started into the crowd. Nights, the man could be a nuisance! ANGUS took a frustrated sip from his drink and began his search of the crowd anew. It was at this point that ANGUS realized that many of the people inhabiting the chamber didn't belong there at all. In fact, there were barely any upperclassmen whatsoever! ANGUS verified that he was in the right location, becoming more confused all the while. As he inquired the vocation of a few individuals, his bewilderment grew to the point he wondered if he even had any business here whatsoever. How could these people have any secrets to begin with? Was that a shoe-shiner? What could he possibly make a profit off of when he was surrounded by the peasantry?

ANGUS was on the brink of deciding to go back to the Rose Empire when he stopped to consider a rumor he had heard entering the city. Cultists attempting to garner influence were the reason he came in the first place. Cultists weren't confined to courtly figures, they sprang up in the populace like weeds. Any of the people in this room could be individuals of note.

That decided it. ANGUS had found the secret he would sell. The happenings of the Arelon court until the resolution of interesting happenings.

(I want to do more RP this game than I have been, but I may decide later on that I don't want to do that anymore. So for now, I'll try to keep up this story and hopefully see it out to it's completion. If it starts to hinder my analytical abilities in any way, I'll probably drop it so I can focus on other aspects of the game.)

4 hours ago, Tineye Navigator said:

This looks like a really cool game! Sadly I wont be able to play in it, could I have a link to a spec doc? I wish the GM's the best of luck. I would like to give you all a kitt named Fiz to provide moral support and cuddling so during your mod days. Here is also a bendalloy medallion, full of energy for each of you to keep you guys going.

Do you accept my gift? @Herowannabe@Fifth Scholar @Elberethand @Orlok Tsubodai

Reveal hidden contents

download.jpeg

Gladly! Thank you! Although in our hands it's sure to quickly turn from this:

Spoiler

download.jpeg

into this:

Spoiler

15749490_756094181220591_422757923_n.gif

;)

@Tineye Navigator and @RippleGylf I've added you both to the list of spectators, but if you think you might be available in a few weeks then I would invite you to consider being a pinch hitter instead. ;)

Edited by Herowannabe

I am sorry to inform you that Fiz was this:

Spoiler

image.jpg.4a2ee435170a3c5129306c87614cf248.jpg

To begin with. 

Edit:

Spoiler

A man with long scar running down the length if the left side of his face walked into the room. Yes. This was the place. Mraize looked for a man. One who was a man of learning. There was only one that survived. The fifth scholar. Mraize reached out his emotional allomancy and took control of Fiz. Suddenly he was looking through its eyes up at Fifth scholar. There was something deep inside the cat. Many something's. Feruchemical brass spikes were placed into the cat with years of heat stored into each of the many spikes. Mraize released that heat all of it is a single fiery blast. Once the blast was over Mraize walked out, unharmed, of the palace. Many bodies lay burned an charred no longer able hold the cognitive and spiritual entities Inside. 

Edited by Mraize

4 hours ago, Elenion said:

Mraize = Sahin the Just?

That looks like the case, yes.

@Mraizefor the sake of ease of gameplay and consistency for other players, we’d ask that you don’t change your username again until the conclusion of the game (or indeed whilst you’re in the middle of any SE game.

2 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

That looks like the case, yes.

@Mraizefor the sake of ease of gameplay and consistency for other players, we’d ask that you don’t change your username again until the conclusion of the game (or indeed whilst you’re in the middle of any SE game.

@Mraize or if you feel you really must change your user name, please at least make an in-game announcement about it. 

Just now, Orlok Tsubodai said:

Having just closed seven games, I didn’t want this thread to be buried. With posts now having been made since those games were closed, this can now be unpinned without issue.

okay cool

A substantial crowd had formed in the Court to hear the Patriarch's announcement. Supposedly, Seinalan was the chosen vessel of Merciful Domi, his representative on Earth. Sheodan had never followed the Shu-Korath faith. In his youth, there had been no need for any gods save the Elantrians. Love and devotion were all right as far as they went, but they were no match for a city full of divinities. A few lines etched into the air and they could heal the most grievous wounds, create essential goods from nothing, or teleport great distances.

Shortly before the Reod, Sheodan had learned that power did not equal wisdom, nor did abundance lead to generosity. Now, Elantris had fallen and Sheodan had found a new faith. Not Shu-Korath, no amount of love and forgiveness would be sufficient to atone for what he'd done. Not Shu-Derethi, as ambition and obedience were too dangerous for one who could not even control himself. The proper method of atonement, he'd decided, was service in devotion to a single cause. Ten years ago, Sheodan had seen firsthand the results of a violent uprising. In Eondel's service, he fought to ensure that no more families would be ripped apart by violence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can the Gyorn tell the difference between a normal convert and a player with a Derethi pendant? If a player with a Derethi pendant is made an Odiv and then passes on the pendant, will the Odiv still scan as a convert? Do Korathi and Jeskeri pendants block the priest's ability to determine whether a player is a convert?

Do the Seons of poisoned players become corrupted? Will corrupted Seons be rejuvenated if Elantris is restored? Can the Gyorn and Odiv still PM each other if one of them is in Elantris?

9 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

A substantial crowd had formed in the Court to hear the Patriarch's announcement. Supposedly, Seinalan was the chosen vessel of Merciful Domi, his representative on Earth. Sheodan had never followed the Shu-Korath faith. In his youth, there had been no need for any gods save the Elantrians. Love and devotion were all right as far as they went, but they were no match for a city full of divinities. A few lines etched into the air and they could heal the most grievous wounds, create essential goods from nothing, or teleport great distances.

Shortly before the Reod, Sheodan had learned that power did not equal wisdom, nor did abundance lead to generosity. Now, Elantris had fallen and Sheodan had found a new faith. Not Shu-Korath, no amount of love and forgiveness would be sufficient to atone for what he'd done. Not Shu-Derethi, as ambition and obedience were too dangerous for one who could not even control himself. The proper method of atonement, he'd decided, was service in devotion to a single cause. Ten years ago, Sheodan had seen firsthand the results of a violent uprising. In Eondel's service, he fought to ensure that no more families would be ripped apart by violence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can the Gyorn tell the difference between a normal convert and a player with a Derethi pendant? If a player with a Derethi pendant is made an Odiv and then passes on the pendant, will the Odiv still scan as a convert? Do Korathi and Jeskeri pendants block the priest's ability to determine whether a player is a convert?

Do the Seons of poisoned players become corrupted? Will corrupted Seons be rejuvenated if Elantris is restored? Can the Gyorn and Odiv still PM each other if one of them is in Elantris?

In the order you asked the questions, here are my answers stemming from my understanding of the rules, which Hero is free to correct. 

Presumably, the Gyorn knows which players he converted, so I’d say yes.

The Odiv, even after passing the pendant, remains a convert and an Odiv. 

The priest scans alignment, and whether or not that player is a convert, so I would say the pendants you mentioned would not obscure his scan. 

No, I think. Might want to get @Herowannabe‘s confirmation on this.

I think this is a PAFO. 

Yes, I think, again pending confirmation from @Herowannabe

@Devotary of Spontaneity:

@Fifth Scholar is right on all accounts, with a couple clarifications. I'm going to go ahead and list all the questions and answers so I can easily copy and paste them into the FAQ. 

Can the Gyorn tell the difference between a normal convert and a player with a Derethi pendant?

• At the start of the game a handful of players will start out as converts- some of them may be actual converts and some of them may have Shu-Dereth pendants. The Gyorn (and Odiv) will not be able to automatically distinguish which is which, but they will receive and updated list each cycle with all the current converts, so if they pay attention and they see converts disappearing and new converts added unexpectedly then they might be able to figure out where the pendants are. 

If a player with a Derethi pendant is made an Odiv and then passes on the pendant, will the Odiv still scan as a convert?

• They will not scan as as a convert but they will scan as belonging to the Shu-Dereth faction. 

Do Korathi and Jeskeri pendants block the priest's ability to determine whether a player is a convert?

• No, as a player's convert status is independent from their faction. 

Do the Seons of poisoned players become corrupted?

• No

Will corrupted Seons be rejuvenated if Elantris is restored?

• Normally this would be a PAFO, but seeing as the events of LG12 are open information I don't mind answering this. Yes, if Elantris is restored then corrupted Seons of living Elantrians will be restored as well. 

Can the Gyorn and Odiv still PM each other if one of them is in Elantris?

• Yes. Being in Elantris does not block Gyorn/Odiv PMs, Lover PMs, or access to the Cultist doc. Becoming Hoed doesn't prevent them either, though any player who becomes Hoed must adhere to the Hoed posting rules even in PMs and docs.  

EDIT: Also, in the course of answering your questions, I decided to make the following tweak to the action order:

MINOR RULE ADJUSTMENT: In the list of actions, I originally had the "Gyorn: Swear an Odiv" action happening before items were gifted. I have swapped these. I realized I didn't want a player who was trying to give away a Shu-Dereth pendant to be made an Odiv against their will. 

Edited by Herowannabe

6 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

@Devotary of Spontaneity:

@Fifth Scholar (Sorry, mobile has a bug-- I mean, feature, that won't let me delete mentions.)

Becoming Hoed doesn't prevent them either, though any player who becomes Hoed must adhere to the Hoed posting rules even in PMs and docs.  

..Even in the docs? What exactly does that entail?

And, what happens to a Hoed player when/if Elantris is restored?

1 minute ago, Eternum said:

..Even in the docs? What exactly does that entail?

Meaning that even in the eliminator doc (as that is the only doc that it would apply to) a Hoed-cultist would still be required to post using only the 5 words/smilies that she selected upon becoming Hoed. This very thing happened in LG12. ;)

3 minutes ago, Eternum said:

And, what happens to a Hoed player when/if Elantris is restored?

That one is a PAFO. :)