Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Elantris was beautiful, once. 

Three years ago, I ran my second Sanderson Elimination game, LG12: Shadows of Elantris. The game had some fairly major flaws, but despite that it was very popular and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. So I promised I would fix the rules and run it again sometime. Real life happened, and then now, three years later, I am excited to announce that I am finally able to make good on my promise. Elantris will finally rise again. :D

Shadows of Elantris Redux

Summary (for those of you who want an idea of what this game is like without wading through all the rules): In a nutshell, this game has three factions: Arelon (your typical village faction), the Jeskeri Mysteries Cult (your typical eliminator faction), and Shu-Dereth (composed of just the Gyorn and their Odiv, their goal is to "convert" all the remaining players). There are some fun roles and items and stuff- most of them the same as LG12, some of them new- but the most unique part of this game is Elantris. Players have a small chance of being taken by the Shaod and cast into Elantris. When this happens, they are removed from the main thread and inducted into the Elantris thread (PM Group), where they have the opportunity to explore the ruined city. While exploring they might encounter things that can harm them, things that can help them, or they might just discover the secrets needed to restore Elantris!

Link to the Rules (I decided to just keep the rules in a google doc because it's easier to reference and navigate than wading through a bunch of Spoiler boxes trying to find the one rule you're looking for)

Setting: For Roleplaying purposes (and I strongly encourage RP!) the entirety of the game will be held inside the King's Palace, centered on the King's court, with the exception of those players who are taken by the Shaod and cast into Elantris. At the beginning of the game, all the players are gathered in the Court to hear a grand announcement to be made by Patriarch Seinalan.

@Fifth Scholar and @Elbereth will be helping me co-GM this game, and @Orlok Tsubodai is our impartial mod. 

Sign ups are officially open, and will close on Monday, 4/9 at 7:00pm MDT (rollovers will happen at approximately the same time of day). 

ora_1523322000.png

Spoiler

Tagging as many players as I can who played in LG12. It was a long time ago, and I realize that many players have moved on or are unavailable, but hey, who knows? Maybe some of them will remember and want to give the redux a whirl. :)

@Haelbarde @Lightsworn Panda @Orlok Tsubodai @winter devotion @Mckeedee123 @Bort @Kipper @spencer12347 @Mailliw73 @Clanky @Alvron @dowanx @Araris Valerian @The Honey Badger @Lord Pifferdoo @Claincy @Kasimir @ostrichofevil @little wilson @phattemer @Feligon @Metacognition @Surgebound Rainspren @Aonar Faileas @Seonid @twelfthrootoftwo @Wonko the Sane @luckat @Zas678 @neodymium @Renegade @Wyrmhero @A Joe in the Bush @Emerald101 @Burnt Spaghetti

Quicklinks

Player List:

1. Little Wilson: Kainae the Artist
  2. A Joe in the Bush: Fenot the Alchemist
  3. Arinian: Eilen the traveler with the mute talking sword
  4. Eternum: Enerin the travelling storyteller
  5. Steeldancer: Bob the shoe-shiner
  6. Straw: Straw the errand-boy
  7. Araris Valerian: Elysian the orphaned worldhopper
  8. Elenion: Enelan, the Palace's head chef
  9. King Cole: Bill the butcher
  10. Devotary of Spontaneity: Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army
  11. Droughtbringer: In, head of the Patriarch Seinalan fan club
  12. Mraize: Sahin Arehe, heir to the Are Plantation / ex-heir to- / it's complicated / Noble Merchant
  13. The Honey Badger: Eoni the grandiose peasant
  14. Drake Marshall: Ateshao, an itinerant tinker.
  15. Bort: Daoate, a member of the Elantris City Guard
  16. Randuir: Saoir, the Royal Archivist
  17. Kidpen: Amati the farmer
  18. Cadmium Compounder: Rhomil, an indiscriminate merchant
  19. Seonid: Sheon Idris, a rockstar trying to get the band back together
  20. Kynedath: Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius (ANGUS), the WikiLeaks of Kae
  21. TheYoungPyromancer: Aladdin, a guy looking for a lamp
  22. Dalinar Kholin: Soren Porfiry, procrastinator extraordinaire
  23. STINK: Imperial Mint, an honest to Domi Mint
  24. Hemalurgic Headshot: Reth Liari, a sterotypical dashing vagabond with enigmatic origins
  25. Amanuensis: Dio Brando, a vampi- really hot guy.
  26. TheMightyLopen: Nigel, a doctor of some renown

Edit: if you don’t create a name or background for your character I’ll come up with one for you. ;) Yes that is a threat. 

Spectators

1. Arranae 
  2. Kasimir
  3. Tineye Navigator
  4. Ripplegylf
  5. Renegade
  6. Elandera

Pinch Hitters

1. Walin
  2. Jondesu
Edited by Herowannabe

FAQ and Rule Clarifications:

Sending Seons into Elantris: I originally posted in the rules that Seons cannot be used to create PMs with Elantrians, but in skimming through some of the original LG12 stuff I noticed that I allowed it in that game, so I decided to go ahead and allow it here. Seons may be used to create a PM with any player, including those in Elantris. 

Secrets of LG12: Speaking of skimming through stuff from LG12, I made the decision to delete the LG12 master spreadsheet, spec doc, eliminator doc, and Elantris doc (after making copies of all of them, of course). One of the most fun parts of this game is the mysteries to be discovered by exploring Elantris, so I didn't want anyone reading through any of the behind-the-scenes stuff and stumbling across potential "spoilers." I realize that some players may remember some of the secrets of Elantris from LG12, and if you read through the entire LG12 thread you might be able to glean some things, but oh well. The game is structured so that knowing these things won't give you any sort of advantage, the decision to delete the docs/sheets was made purely for preserving the fun and atmosphere of the game as much as possible. After this game is complete, I will restore the LG12 docs/sheets for anyone who might care enough to go look at them. 

Can the Gyorn tell the difference between a normal convert and a player with a Derethi pendant?

• At the start of the game a handful of players will start out as converts- some of them may be actual converts and some of them may have Shu-Dereth pendants. The Gyorn (and Odiv) will not be able to automatically distinguish which is which, but they will receive and updated list each cycle with all the current converts, so if they pay attention and they see converts disappearing and new converts added unexpectedly then they might be able to figure out where the pendants are. 

If a player with a Derethi pendant is made an Odiv and then passes on the pendant, will the Odiv still scan as a convert?

• They will not scan as as a convert but they will scan as belonging to the Shu-Dereth faction. 

Do Korathi and Jeskeri pendants block the priest's ability to determine whether a player is a convert?

• No, as a player's convert status is independent from their faction. 

Do the Seons of poisoned players become corrupted?

• No

Will corrupted Seons be rejuvenated if Elantris is restored?

• Normally this would be a PAFO, but seeing as the events of LG12 are open information I don't mind answering this. Yes, if Elantris is restored then corrupted Seons of living Elantrians will be restored as well. 

Can the Gyorn and Odiv still PM each other if one of them is in Elantris?

• Yes. Being in Elantris does not block Gyorn/Odiv PMs, Lover PMs, or access to the Cultist doc. Becoming Hoed doesn't prevent them either, though any player who becomes Hoed must adhere to the Hoed posting rules even in PMs and docs.  

MINOR RULE ADJUSTMENT: In the list of actions, I originally had the "Gyorn: Swear an Odiv" action happening before items were gifted. I have swapped these. I realized I didn't want a player who was trying to give away a Shu-Dereth pendant to be made an Odiv against their will. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Kainae’s hand flew across the canvas, painting broad strokes. She wasn’t entirely sure what she was painting, but that wasn’t anything new. Palette in her right hand, brush in the left, she let her mind take over and fell into a trance she was becoming all too familiar with. Only this time, the end-result didn’t take nearly as long as some had. In less than five minutes, she stepped back from the canvas to view her work.

sketch-1522726344260.png

“Huh.” She tilted her head, staring at the abstract piece of work. She wasn’t sure what it meant, but that didn’t really matter at the moment. She could feel something coming, though she wasn’t sure what.

She looked around the room, at her other paintings. Most of them were abstract, like this newest piece, though some were clearer. A figure in the distance. Flames all around. The deep blue of the sea swallowing specks spread out in its depths. And others. Each had provided guidance at critical junctures in her life. Warnings of disaster or difficult choices she would have to make.

She studied the piece in front of her. White, bursting from somewhere, spreading its influence. Or perhaps it was the other way around: the white being smothered and reaching its tendrils out in a last dying breath. She shrugged. It would become clear to her, in time. Of that she was certain. It always did. For now, she would remain calm, eyes open, ready to face whatever came.

EDIT: In case it wasn't obvious, this is me signing up. :P

Fenot's horse pranced in a circle on the dirt road, itching to keep moving. Fenot turned his head to keep facing the network of cities far off. The city of Kondeon was at his back, so he would be at the city in an hour or so, unless his horse died from the exertion sooner than expected. He licked his lips as he studied the cities. Elantris the magnificent was easy to pick out, but he didn't know immediately which of the four surrounding cites was still occupied. From the activity in the western city, he assumed that was Kae.

He spurred his horse, and the animal bolted, excited to again be moving. It was practically frothing already, the Hrovellian potion to give it speed had been meant for a beast of stronger stature, but that horse had tripped, and broken a leg along the Duladel border. He had been forced to sell the beast and buy a new one. Normally he wouldn't waste such a horse as that one, but according to his Lord, time was of the essence. Fenot and his unique skills were once again needed in Arelon.

He grinned as he rode like mad, on a beast that was running itself to death. His poisons and potions were once again needed to change the course of history. If, along the way, he had the chance to test out some of his new potions are the wide variety of folks here, well, that was just a bonus.

---

Fenot the Alchemist is signing up, and fully intends to make sure every one in the game has drunk one of his potions by the end.

33 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Fenot the Alchemist is signing up, and fully intends to make sure every one in the game has drunk one of his potions by the end.

Welcome! Your character makes me want to start you out with 2 dozen poison vials and watch the hilarity ensue. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Welcome! Your character makes me want to start you out with 2 dozen poison vials and watch the hilarity ensue. :lol:

Not all of his potions will kill you. Some of them actually make you better. And some of them he isn't quite sure what they do yet. Good thing he now has a town full of unwilling test subjects.

Enerin reined his dun gelding in, stopping to finally admire his home city of Kae from a distance. The once-shining walls of Elantris were visible, and a sight to behold at that, but they were not what he was here to see. Not today. As he studied the bustling city, nostalgia hit him so hard he almost didn't notice how oddly quiet the other three were.

He had set off 10 or 15 years ago, inspired by the Enefel of old, searching for stories. He had traveled all of Opelon and more, from Arelon to the many nations of the Fjordell Empire, and then north, to the kingdom of Teod and the magnificent Rose Empire. He had heard and told many stories in his travels, but the only story that had eluded him all these years was his own.

As he looked upon his long-abandoned home, something told him he had finally found it. Enerin heeled his horse forward into a walk, then gradually into a trot and a run. The countryside flew past the corners of his eyes, but he did not notice, for they were burning with a desire, and with a final question.

Was this his beginning, or his end?

There was only one way to find out.

(Enerin is joining the game!)

Edited by Eternum

Enerin, Enelan.. why did both of us decide to use Aon Ene as the name root? :P

..Wait a second..

No wealth of gold and silver can purchase a keen mind, but the man of wit will often find treasures beyond what mere lucre can provide.

Enelan, a scholar from a hundred years before the Reod.

Busted!

Edited by Eternum

22 minutes ago, Magestar said:

Ooo.  Conversions.  

Fine, I'll sign up.  Put me in as Kiilian.

Note that they’re not true conversions in the normal SE sense- the converts don’t actually change factions (well, except for the Odiv). Instead it’s more like the Gyorn and Odiv have to tag all the other players before the game ends. 

47 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Note that they’re not true conversions in the normal SE sense- the converts don’t actually change factions (well, except for the Odiv). Instead it’s more like the Gyorn and Odiv have to tag all the other players before the game ends. 

Mhm.  I got that.  It's really quite interesting.

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

Hey king cole, its been a while since you’ve played! Good to see you. Bill and Bob, adding themselves to the aonic alphabet. 

Since I usually only sign up when I see it on the recent posts, so I dont get into many

Signing up as Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army.

Sheodan had lived in Arelon for all of his twenty two years of life. His existence had never been pleasant, but the last few years had been steadily getting worse. Count Eondel's private army may have been the best fighting force in Arelon, but such status did not lead to prosperity. Rather, it meant patrolling empty roads through the night, waiting for bandits that never came.

He did not leave though, could not leave as there was nowhere else for him to go. The skills he had learned from his brother had no place in a civilized society. Sheodan was a man of the sword now, bound to his liege lord.  Eondel was an honorable man, and a kind one. He hadn't turned Sheodan away ten years ago when Elantris fell. Sheodan would follow him anywhere, even back to Kae, his birthplace, a city he'd hoped to never revisit. The place he had fled as far from as possible while still remaining in Arelon. Apparently, there were some Mysteries cultists that needed killing. If that was what Eondel wanted, that was what Sheodan would do. Life was so much simpler without the responsibility of choice.