A Brandon Sanderson convert *possible spoilers*

Wishell

Hi everyone! I only discovered Brandon Sanderson’s books when it was announced that he was finishing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. Since then I’ve read the first three Mistborn novels, Elantris and all of The Stormlight Archive (so far anyway!). I’m currently listening to Warbreaker as whilst I was enjoying Oathbringer I came across a thread on reddit which said that some of the characters in Oathbringer where actually from Warbreaker. I hadn’t even realised that all of the books shared the same universe so I’m new to the idea of the ‘Cosmere’. Wondering if I was alone in not having realised this sooner?

Edited by Wishell

Welcome to the Shard. Have an upvote! Be aware that people are going to ask you to give away your Breath or have Hemalurgic cookies. I found out about Sanderson from a close friend telling me about Mistborn and how

Spoiler

he kills off all the main characters, leaving only the supporting characters. 

Edited by Sahin the Just

Thanks for the welcome. No way I am giving away my Breath and becoming a drab! Vivvena would not approve. If I wanted to ask a question about theories on how all of the shardworlds will be brought together, would I need to start a new topic or is there already a thread for that?

14 hours ago, Sahin the Just said:

I found out about Sanderson from a close friend telling me about Mistborn and how he.... 

Spoiler tags might be in order, in case some other newbies wander in here?

Edited by Snorkel

Welcome @Wishell! Have an upvote.

And also welcome to cosmere-awareness! Did you figure out why we are called the 17th Shard yet? In any case, there are more of those connections between books to be found, if you look for them. Try not to spoil it for yourself in the coppermind ahead of time though ;)

Speaking of spoilers, if you talk about anything sensitive from Oathbringer, make sure to do it in the spoiler thread marked with OB.

Spoiler

Or at least with spoiler tags.

What other books have you read?

Thanks @Moonrise! If I am recalling my (albeit very slim) knowledge of the cosmere then there are 16 known shards of Adonalsium (sp?) so i’m Guessing that we are now in an unknown 17th :D

As for other connections, I’ve got the Elantrian and Warbreaker connections in SA (I think) but other than that I’m hoping a massive re-read of all my Sanderson collection will provide any i’ve missed. 

I’ve still got to read the other Mistborn novels as I only read the original trilogy. I purchased The Alloy of Law some time ago but was out of reading it when I realised it takes place in a much later, industrialised era however, I now have new motivation to dive in and catch up!

Other, non-Sanderson book series i’ve read (I’m assuming that’s what you meant although you know what they say about assuming ^_^) that could take a while but her are a few; The Belgariad, The Mallorean, Elenium, The Tamuli, most of the Shannara books, all of Game of Thrones, The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth (although I gave up on that one eventually) and Discworld. Brandon’s books are my current fantasy books of choice though and am eagerly awaiting sequels for Elantris and Warbreaker as well as more Stormlight Archive!

19 hours ago, Wishell said:

If I am recalling my (albeit very slim) knowledge of the cosmere then there are 16 known shards of Adonalsium (sp?) so i’m Guessing that we are now in an unknown 17th :D

Good guess! But not quite what I referred to. Keep a close eye on the Letters--those little blurbs from the beginning of each chapter in SA? I believe they mention it explicitly at least once. Once you finish a SA book (and it seems you have read all 3?), you can read the compilation of the blurbs on the Coppermind because it is easier to see the bigger picture that way. 

Have you read Mistborn: Secret History? (goes after the first Mistborn trilogy) That could be very interesting to you in terms of cosmere knowledge. In one word, mindblowing

Because remember, there is always another secret.

2 hours ago, Moonrise said:

Good guess! But not quite what I referred to. Keep a close eye on the Letters--those little blurbs from the beginning of each chapter in SA? I believe they mention it explicitly at least once. Once you finish a SA book (and it seems you have read all 3?), you can read the compilation of the blurbs on the Coppermind because it is easier to see the bigger picture that way. 

Have you read Mistborn: Secret History? (goes after the first Mistborn trilogy) That could be very interesting to you in terms of cosmere knowledge. In one word, mindblowing

Because remember, there is always another secret.

Okay, I seriously need to look into this!