I am just finishing listening to The Hero of Ages and a particular line hit me - "If (Preservation) has not returned, then has, perhaps, someone else taken up his power to use in (this fight)?  Is that not what your teachings say will happen?  That which has been sundered must again begin to find its whole."

Sazed is talking to the First Generation as they try to decide if it is time for the Resolution.  But his words seem to encompass more than just the battle for the survival of the kandra, or even Scadrial, itself.  It sounds like a clue as to a role Sazed may very well play in the larger scheme of the Cosmere.

I know Hoid has often been referenced as having a much larger role in the greater events of the Cosmere, but we still do not know what his specific plans are.  We do not know of a certainty tha Hoid will be "the hero" and fix everything, himself  He has plans, but those plans remain in shadow for the most part.

Then there is the fact that, next to the Stormlight Archive, the Mistborn series is the largest we know of in the works of the Cosmere.  Brandon has shown how he likes to present his endgame in plain sight, even while it remains hidden without a bit of effort on the part of the reader to truly understand it.  It is rather easy to see the foreshadowing that has since come to pass when we reread his books, and this has the same sort of feel to me as those other clues.

So, in a nutshell, my theory is this - Sazed stands as a foil to Odium and will be the one to take up the power of Adonalsium, restoring all the Shards to One Purpose, become the new god of the Cosmere, beneath the One Beyond.

Okay - let's rip this apart now! :)

EDIT:  I so forgot to mention the fact Sazed and the prophecies are both of the Worldbringers, and it has been made clear there is something very significant about that.

Edited by Noel

So, something I remember seeing somewhere is that Mistborn Gen 4 will be the end of the Cosmere. This supports your theory, but I think it is more likely that someone else will end up reuniting Adonalsium, if anyone. I can’t tell from your original post whether or not you have actually finished Hero of the Ages. If you have not, you really should finish it before discussing this topic.

I've read the series a few times and am now going through listening to it on audio.  I realize my idea doesn't have a lot of support, but it just grabbed me this time around and so I'm throwing it out there to see if it's stronger than I thought or if it falls down with a few taps...

Ok. So, this could be foreshadowing for Sazed becoming Harmony. I think the real forsgadowing for adonalsium is when Sazed says something along the lines of the shards feeling like they belonged together. I still find it unlikely that Sazed is going to becoming Adonalsium. I just don’t think that he knows enough, and I kinda doubt that he wants to. Sazed will almost definitely play a major role though.

Yes, I agree its part of the foreshadowing of his becoming Harmony (who is such a totally cool god).  I would point out that Sazed never wanted to become Harmony, or even the Hero if Ages, as can be evidenced by that wonderful opening of "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages".

So you have the hint there identified, I think you have it misdirected.

"If (Preservation) has not returned, then has, perhaps, someone else taken up his power to use in (this fight)?  Is that not what your teachings say will happen?  That which has been sundered must again begin to find its whole."

The secret mistborn history tells us of someone who took up the power of preservation before it made its way to Vin, and then to Sazed. I'm confident this line is a nod to whats happening behind the scenes in the cognitive realm.

I personally think that at some point, Sazed is going to voluntarily hand the power off to someone else. 

There is a signed book that I'm not able to find at the moment, where someone asked Brandon for a future quote from Sazed, and what was written in the book was along the line of "it is yours" 

Total speculation... But yeah. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

There is a signed book that I'm not able to find at the moment

That's because the search function on this site is... bothersome.

But ranting aside, here. Courtesy of Chaos's Event Summary, Circa 2015:

Someone asked for a "future quote from Harmony." Brandon said that no one had ever asked that before. He wasn't sure if the quote would be exact, so we'll need to check back around Mistborn 9, but he wrote in the book: "It is yours." That's awesome.

9 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

That quote is kind of interesting, since it implies that Sazed will live on until the end of the Mistborn series. 

Not necessarily. Vin and Kelsier both took up Preservation and were still called Preservation. It's entirely possible for it to be a new bearer who can keep the powers in check like Sazed does. (Not that likely, unless Era 3 has a massive upheaval in it, but still possible by technicality.)

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Not necessarily. Vin and Kelsier both took up Preservation and were still called Preservation. It's entirely possible for it to be a new bearer who can keep the powers in check like Sazed does. (Not that likely, unless Era 3 has a massive upheaval in it, but still possible by technicality.)

True. I had missed that the quote is from Harmony, and not from Sazed, which is a small but important distinction to make.

I suspect, none of the shard holders will do a lot for reuniting more than a shard or two at a time. The problem is that large amounts of Investiture resists more Investiture. 

I think this is why Hoid refused a shard, and has only been gaining access to the power for each shard. The investiture is a much smaller quantity, gaining access to all 16 should be possible, unlike if he had started at shard-like levels of power. His goal is only attainable if he is not too powerful. 

Just a theory. 

• Chaos locked this topic