WoB concern

Zelly

WoB are considered cannon unless Brandon mentions an answer might not be, correct?  They're a big source of everyone's theories.

But.....should we take them a little more fluidly?

Brandon's only human.  I respect him for answering questions (and not RAFOing everything) and having fun with fans.  But with people asking complicated and/or clever questions, particularly about things he'll write years from now, he is bound to slip up and say something incorrect or something that will be changed later.  To clarify, I don't mean a slip of the tongue like saying "mistwraith" instead of "mistborn", people generally do a great job in the footnotes explaining likely errors.

Speaking of, this WoB from  Oathbringer Chicago signing (Nov. 21, 2017) (while Brandon had a cold)

Matrim [PENDING REVIEW]

Hoid gets his tooth knocked out while in Kholinar. He prompts somebody else to help him with that. Is that because he has issues hurting not only other people but himself?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yep.

contradicts a scene from an interlude in Words of Radiance where Hoid hits himself over the head with a rock several times. 

I'm probably just reading way too much into things and the answer's something like, "He wasn't hitting himself very hard."

But it does make me wonder about the WoBs.  I just hope they don't come back to bite him later.

• 7 months later...
On 3/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, Zellyia said:

I'm probably just reading way too much into things and the answer's something like, "He wasn't hitting himself very hard."

The answer is probably that in Kholinar, he had his healing suppressed, so it actually hurt, but otherwise he may have healed so fast it didn't technically hurt at all.