Magic System I'm currently brewing

Sauceborn

Something I've been working on, thought I'd post it here for perhaps some feedback, as well as some assistance if any feel generous.

So basically, people who have the genetic trait have a special type of blood cell inside them that, when 'burned', so to speak, can unleash power, yet as it is of a person's own blood, and thus it is continuously dying and being reproduced (meaning it is a self sufficient magic, no need to eat metal, though one can extract their own blood and then use it for later). So, the more one burns, the weaker they will become, just as any person would be from blood loss. It also makes their veins glow different colors, depending on which type of blood cell they can burn, the brightness as to how much they are burning.

Now, there are separate things one who can burn their blood can do. One, infuse an object with whatever trait their blood allows, two, burn to infuse their body with some corresponding trait. For all except pinkbloods, one cannot infuse another living soul, only themselves and/or that around them.

So, the first are blue blooded, who, put simply, can infuse a sort of magnetism between two objects, one of which can be themselves. Make things stick together, infuse oneself to the rafters of a building, etc.

Next are orange blooded, people who can infuse either themselves with strength, or an object with durability, e.g. a length of wood could be in- or defused so it was more brittle or strong.

Red blooded can alter the weight of an object or themselves, though I am wracking my brain for an alternate trait for personal infusion.

Green bloods, similarly, can alter the malleability of an object or themselves, able to infuse an iron rod so that it had the consistency of wet clay.

Pink bloods, this is unique from the rest, as for these guys, they can infuse emotion into people, tinker with their minds. They can also infuse an object with emotion so that those who touch it and/or get near will feel that emotion.

Finally, yellowbloods, who can infuse themselves with sensual and overall awareness, makes them more alert, more keen. I am still unsure as to what the inanimate aspect of infusion for this could be.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Currently tinkering with yellow, green, and red bloods, the first for the lack of an object-wise infusion and the other two for a lack of a unique personal infusion. All criticism is welcome!

@Sauceborn little mistborny to me, i would just watch on how you use the powers. Tho i would rename the burning to something else? like siphoning or iunno, ill keep thinking

Reds - what if the body doesnt counteract. meaning, you increase your weight too much, your legs cant hold that much and break. could use on an enemy for that, or throw them in a river and drown..or acid...whatever. 

Yellow - objects infused maybe you feel attracted to the object. distraction thing. infuse a baseball and roll it in a room, and the person closest feels an overwhelming need to pick it up or focus on it.

Green - sounds pretty awesome to me. I think its perfect.

Edited by Niteshado

@Niteshado  Yeah, burning is just kind of a place holder for whatever term I am gonna use. It was just the first thing that came to mind.

The yellow, that's actually really interesting, though I fear if that dabbles into pink blood territory. Not really, but just a smidge. Still, the idea is really cool, being able to make an object more eye-catching. I don't know what you'd call the property of the object, though...

I have been thinking of replacing the yellowbloods with temperature, as that still is a property of an object, so someone could defuse the surface of a pool for a quick walkway or something similar, but it's a bit too elemental-y for my taste.

Yellow bloods could burn blood to enhance a physical property pertaining to a sense of an object? Like, a yellow-blood could make the colors of an object seem brighter, or to infuse, like, an instrument to make it sound "better". Or defuse it and make it sound like a clarinet/banjo hybrid "worse".

6 hours ago, Sauceborn said:

till, the idea is really cool, being able to make an object more eye-catching. I don't know what you'd call the property of the object, though...

Increase and objects awareness. Like how a very nice gem might catch a Kleptomaniacs eye, you infuse the object and its awareness to the closest person is higher. 

You could do a few things with this. People who are meeting (like you let a possible enemy in your base to talk and maybe reside an issue) and when he enters, a yellow blood burns and infuses the person. The "enemy" can no longer sneak around as he will catch everyones eye.

You can also reverse this and use it on a teammate as a diversion. Infuse him and put him in a room to juggle, or trip and cause an accident. His awareness TO other people skyrockets and they focus heavily on them, unknown to them why. Meanwhile your teammate sneaks in and does what they need, with less suspision. 

I dont believe this interferes with pink. Pink will cause EMOTIONS to change, but not awareness TO and object. 

I also like the thought of the object size making the reaction little or huge.

Think of it as a cap on size of the effect area, that runs over into duration.

You infuse a quarter (or whatever money system you make) and slide it in someones pocket. The Quarter, due to its size, can only affect a small area. So the person holding the quarter is the only one effected. NOW, the amount of blood you use on the quarter now determines 2 things, Area of Effect, and Duration of Effect, both being a 50/50 fill up till maxed out AoE.  Since the quarter is small, it takes less blood to max out the area, so the more blood you use, increases the duration, from say 5 minutes to 20 or 30 minutes. because you filled the AoE up, the DoE now gets most the magic. 

The items here probably need a cap though. So say your quarter, since its so small, take whatever small percentage you want to use to fill it up. extra up to [blank] percent, adds to duration. but it caps at like, 15 minutes of effect, total. 

Bigger the object, the bigger AoE and DoE but also needs more blood to max out.

Can do this with weight, and how malleable you make an object as well. and for how long. 

Could throw a quarter and catch one person, or infuse a statue, consuming a higher percentage of your daily? blood limit, but it catches the entire rusting room. 

Edited by Niteshado

1 hour ago, SilverTiger said:

Yellow bloods could burn blood to enhance a physical property pertaining to a sense of an object? Like, a yellow-blood could make the colors of an object seem brighter, or to infuse, like, an instrument to make it sound "better". Or defuse it and make it sound like a clarinet/banjo hybrid "worse".

I also like this idea too. You could throw that in with Yellow. you are more aware of the sound, or the pitch, or the color. 

That is deffinately doable.

Nice job silver :)

5 hours ago, SilverTiger said:

I had just thought of this earlier, a revision where yellow bloods could infuse the strength of an object or themselves' senses, I just can't tell whether it's better than the concept of awareness. This, though, a person could infuse themselves with auditory strength, be able to hear better so that perhaps they could catch what someone else was saying. On another front, maybe someone was trying to poison someone else, they could defuse that poison's odor so that none could catch its scent.

@Niteshado Not to say this isn't really cool lol, it's stormin' amazing, and the examples are really interesting. The DoE and AoE of the affects, most of it is central as to how much blood is being burned and put into the object, though area of affect is more to pinkbloods, as they can infuse an object, say, a tin can, with anger, and lots of it. Roll it into an already frustrated mob of people and you got yourself a riot, as long as you stoked enough blood. Something bigger would have the capacity to cover a larger area with emotion, but would require more blood to be stoked for an equal intensity of emotion.

Yellowbloods though, while they are mostly the same, I think focusing on altering an object's senses rather than its all around captivity would be a bit better. Say, if you wanted to distract someone, infuse a brick on the far wall with a boost of sight, that way it would be more eye catching. Need to work through some pain, simply defuse your sense of feel. Your date isn't digging your home dinner, she says the spices are subdued, infuse that baby with taste. Wanted to hide an odor, defuse that sucker's scent. You get the gist of it, not so much awareness as the sensual strength of an object.

Edited by Sauceborn
fixarooni

@Sauceborn I get your jist of yellow. I like it, im just curious as to how confusing it could get. If you explain it in the book well enough i think it would work amazingly. I also get the feeling if you do it wrong, you could make yellow (how you just described) confusing as all get out.