Elemental Magic System Help

StrikerEZ

So, I have a magic system I'm developing that I've talked about before on here, but I'm changing things up a little and need some new ideas for elements. There needs to be a total of 17 elements for wider universe reasons. Here's what I have so far:

Fire, Water, Ice, Vapor, Air, Lightning, Sound, Stone, Sand, Crystal, Metal, Light, Darkness, Flora, and Fauna

So, I need two more. These elements need to be things that would be easily understandable to people who don't understand how the world really works, so no gravity or magnetism. 

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

So, I need two more. These elements need to be things that would be easily understandable to people who don't understand how the world really works, so no gravity or magnetism. 

Hrmm... most of my go-to suggestions are either already up there, too similar, too complex, or Earth :). Not sure where to go from here.
Although, since this is a system that you've "talked about before," that'd be the one from The Chosen Ones, no? If it is, how stand Order and Chaos as magics? You also had "Mind" there, but not here. Too complex, I assume?

Silvertiger raises a good point with Silt, albeit unintentionally. Where are some of the lines drawn? Stone, Sand, Silt.    Fire, Lava, Heat.    Etc...

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'm not gonna be messing with time magic because that gets really funky. 

Not only that, but the higher powers(Time, Life, Creation, to name a few) are usually powerful enough that they have to be contained in items(the Infinity Stones being the primary example nowadays), and that makes them even more dangerous. You can't tie the power to something and not have someone threatening to unravel the fabric of time itself. My favorite example of such was actually the good guy threatening the villain, which makes it even better.

Spoiler

"Really? Imagine your body trapped between seconds, or half of you aging while the other half regresses. Does it still sound appealing to you? All your plans and schemes would come to an end, because no matter what you attempted, I could walk into the past and undo it. Kill me today, and I will be waiting for you in some tomorrow to avenge my death. Think of it — can you rule a future that is in the past? Or a present that is still a century away? Could you ever be sure what you have done and what you haven't, when months and years have merged together? To save those I love from an eternity of your tyranny, I will end everything right now."
   —Bionicle Adventures #10: Time Trap

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Hrmm... most of my go-to suggestions are either already up there, too similar, too complex, or Earth :). Not sure where to go from here.
Although, since this is a system that you've "talked about before," that'd be the one from The Chosen Ones, no? If it is, how stand Order and Chaos as magics? You also had "Mind" there, but not here. Too complex, I assume?

Silvertiger raises a good point with Silt, albeit unintentionally. Where are some of the lines drawn? Stone, Sand, Silt.    Fire, Lava, Heat.    Etc...

Not only that, but the higher powers(Time, Life, Creation, to name a few) are usually powerful enough that they have to be contained in items(the Infinity Stones being the primary example nowadays), and that makes them even more dangerous. You can't tie the power to something and not have someone threatening to unravel the fabric of time itself. My favorite example of such was actually the good guy threatening the villain, which makes it even better.

Reveal hidden contents

"Really? Imagine your body trapped between seconds, or half of you aging while the other half regresses. Does it still sound appealing to you? All your plans and schemes would come to an end, because no matter what you attempted, I could walk into the past and undo it. Kill me today, and I will be waiting for you in some tomorrow to avenge my death. Think of it — can you rule a future that is in the past? Or a present that is still a century away? Could you ever be sure what you have done and what you haven't, when months and years have merged together? To save those I love from an eternity of your tyranny, I will end everything right now."
   —Bionicle Adventures #10: Time Trap

Order and Chaos will be represented, but they are no longer part of the elemental system. Plus, they felt too different from the others. That's also why I got rid of Mind. It didn't fit, and it messed with certain rules I have in place for my universe. I came up with all of these roundabout explanations, but none of them really made sense. 

Silt could probably just be controlled by Sand. I don't really wanna do Lava because that'd be so uncommon and would require so much energy to summon it. As for Heat...I dunno. A lot of the lines between the elements are drawn based on perception. For example, all Elemancers (that name will definitely change eventually) have a certain range where they can sense their element. Elements like Metal or Water have larger ranges than elements like Flora or Light. If a Metal Elemancer didn't know carbon was a metal, they wouldn't sense it until they knew it was. It's a bit more complicated, especially between Air and Sound, and Light and Dark.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:21 PM, MountainKing said:

What's the difference between vapor and air

Air is air(O2 , CO2, Nitrogen, the works), Vapor is specifically gaseous liquids(the closer to H2O, the better). To quote the man himself:

Vapor: Vapor Elemancers can control water in its gaseous state. They can change water into vapor, but they can't turn vapor into water or ice into vapor. Vapor is usually considered one of the weaker elements, though vapor Elemancers can control clouds and weather formations (tornadoes could be formed, but not controlled).

[...]

Air: Air Elemancers can control the air/wind. They can create tornadoes, cause winds to soar to insanely high speeds, use the air to fly, or even suck the air away from an area, effectively creating a vacuum. Of course, when they fly, friction and lower temperatures at higher elevations still affect them.

Edited by The One Who Connects
Subscripting 2's

9 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Is water inherently more magical to make up the difference?

Water got split into 3: Water(liquids), Ice(frozen solids), and Vapor(gases). It makes sense for them to seem a little less... broad on their own.

10 hours ago, MountainKing said:

so vapor can only control gaseous water

They have influence over liquids in their respective states, but it's like Awakening where it's easier to do the closer something is to human, except in this case, it's closeness to water. (Clarifying that was actually the second question I asked him, funnily enough :))

Questioner(Me):
The H2O trio is pretty fleshed out, but can they only affect water or can they affect other liquids?

StrikerEZ:
The closer a liquid is to water, the easier it is to control.

Source.

@The One Who Connects @MountainKing

The One Who Connects is right in that Vapor controls gaseous water, and the control of the water trio is based on how close to water the liquid (or solid or gas) is. However, a new mechanic I've been working on is how perception of the elements effects all of this. If no one knew that blood is actually 92% water, they wouldn't be able to control it. There is the potential for it to be controlled, but not without the knowledge that it is mostly water. Even then, it will take slightly more energy to control blood than it normally would for water. 

Also, I've finally decided on the 17th element: Spirit. This one is really interesting because it messes with the greater universe's magic. I'll be making a post about this later, but basically everyone has an Aura which is representative of all of their Connections and who they are as a person. Someone who can control Spirit could literally alter their Aura to give themselves all sorts of abilities, such as flight, super strength, super speed, etc. Of course, it's not permanent and only lasts as long as the Elementalist (that name will probably change) because the change requires a constant input of energy. This power gets even more interesting once you start interacting with other beings and objects. A good example of what a Spirit Elementalist could do would be to heal someone by replenishing their Aura. The Aura will not remain charged forever, but the person will automatically heal as long as it is. Once the person is fully healed, their Aura will naturally replenish itself without magical help. 

EDIT: I've realized that I forgot to mention that I made Heat one of the elements as well. 

Edited by StrikerEZ