Worldhopping and Sharworld focuses

InvertShard

I've been thinking about worldhopping and how Investiture(magic) would work on different Shardworlds. I've seen that each world has it's own Focus and each Shard it's own Manifestation. I was wondering: How would say... Allomancy work on Roshar?

My theory: Each person is born connected to one or more of the Shards of their home Shardworld, and that Shard(s) determines the Manifestation of Investiture for that person. (ex. A man born on Scadrial is connected to Preservation so he Manifests Allomancy.) Each Shardworld has a Focus that allows the manipulation of the Investiture of a person. (ex. On Roshar all Investiture manipulation is done via Stormlight infusion.) Exactly how the Investiture is manipulated is determined by a persons Manifestation and the Shardworlds Focus. So an allomancer on Roshar would feul their allomancy by breathing in stormlight.

If anyone has any objections to this theory I would like to hear them.

An Allomancer on Roshar could probably hack the system to power it with Stormlight, if they had the knowledge.  But Allomancy works with any kind of metal, any where, so it wouldn't be strictly necessary to use stormlight.

MountainKing is correct, most Shardic power resides in the Spiritual Realm, where location isn't a factor, so assuming the person had a source of their investiture (Breath, metal, etc) they would be able to use their form of investiture.

Here's one of several points where Brandon has stated that the Metallic Arts work with metal from anywhere in the Cosmere, all that's important is metal purity and for alloys, the ratios.

Questioner

Will iron mined-- created and mined on Roshar work to power Allomancy on Scadrial? This is a clarification from earlier session.

Brandon Sanderson

Um, hehe… Okay, so what do you want to have happen, talk to me. Explain to me--

Questioner

…Iron is iron, does it have the same effect if it will be iron that was created on Roshar--

Brandon Sanderosn

Oh, I see what you're saying.

Questioner

--power Allomancy on Scadrial--

Brandon Sanderson

The metals are themselves-- and I've said this before, I think, but-- the metals themselves-- where you get it is not relevant.

So if say Wit is drinking flakes on Roshar, then those flakes could be Roshar-derived.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

source

We know that hacking magic systems is possible so you can use the Investiture of one system to power another, but this is not required to use one planet's magic system on another. The only world where location is actually a limitation is Sel, becuse of what happened to Devotion and Dominion's power.

Oh, and on the 'Focus' thing, you're getting it confused with fuel, though to an extent the two can overlap. Metal on Scadrial is the 'key' that tells the magic what form to take and it just happens to be consumed in allomancy so there's sort of overlap there, though the power isn't actually coming from the metal but from Preservation directly. On Roshar while Stormlight is the Investiture 'fuel' you use to perform magic, it appears to be bonds that serve as the Focus. Without a Nahel Bond you can't Surgebind and what spren you bond with and how strong the bond is determines what Surges you have and how efficient you are at manipulating them. On Sel the Dor is the 'fuel' while it's the symbols you draw that tell that power what to do, etc.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic