Kaladin and Shallan opposites?!

Lord Meeker

I was talking to one of my friends earlier about OB characters. Specifically Shallan, Kaladin, and Adolin, and which he shipped together. He chose Shadolin. We got to talking to how much I despised Shallan for her lies. He said that Shallan and Kaladin were fundamental opposites. Kaladin being all Honorable and brooding, and Shallan with her Lies and hiding behind a bright, smiling face. Like their characters were purposely made to oppose  Tell me what you guys think about this, it blew my mind just thinking about it.

I am sorry ☻

Spoiler

Yes I know I just made two back to back posts in here and put it in a spoiler. Prepare yourself for a third.

Well, some of this is just writerly common sense. Kaladin and Shallan dominate the first two books, so they have to be different from each other to give the story some variety. It would get monotonous if they were too similar.

But you could also make the argument that they are similar. They're both Radiants with enormous responsibility, both case studies in mental illness, both broken people haunted by their traumatic past. I think that's a big reason their romance never got off the ground; they're both emotionally shaky and high-maintenance, and they both need someone a little more stable to steady them. It's a pretty realistic situation, and it explains Shadolin pretty well.

• Chaos locked this topic