Questions for Omaha Signing, 3-13-2014

Sir Jerric

That's awesome, Sir Jerric! We all eagerly await the transcription. Have an upvote!

That depends on how you kill the Mistborn. Even through the heart, the charge can vary based on the specific nerves you hit.

Very interesting. Here I thought that Hemalurgy only involved the circulatory system (i.e. the blood, from the "hema" part). Turns out the nervous system might be equally important. This makes sense to me because other transformation-based Investiture in the Cosmere involve the Cognitive realm, the realm of perceptions, and the nervous system is the one responsible for the ability to perceive in animals.

Edited by skaa

Here are my questions and answers from last night:

First, I asked if Hoid has been to Braize and he laughed, smiled, and gave me a RAFO.

Second, I asked if a Seon/Skaze could become a Shardblade or something similar. He said it is theoretically possible but it would need something else to bring it more fully into the physical realm.

Last I asked if the comet Spren was a Highspren. He was coy and said it is very important to one of the orders of Knights Radiant. 

I was also at the signing, some of his answers were pretty fascinating.

He also told someone that "the end of the entire series is already in the first two books, similar to mistborn. But this time, it isn't in the first few pages."

Did anyone gather what books are for which characters?

Book 1 - Kaladin

Book 2 - Shallan

Book 3 - Szeth

Book 5 - Dalinar

Has anyone heard about book 4, or 6-10?

Edited by Stormcrown

Two hours of three-point-five are labeled so far. Quality was better than I'd hoped, overall. Hardly something I'd want to post publicly, but, eh. Perhaps after I edit it down to a denser set of material. Is it common practice to transcribe everything, or just the questions?

There was one RAFO before I got close, and only one question that I cannot make out, and its answer is only half a sentence too.

I've got pretty good audio of paperstones' questions and answers. He has a good paraphrase of it there. And I've found Stormcrown's quote too. The flashback order has come up a couple of times, and there was a question about the state of the SA outline as well.

Brandon's favorite Cosmere question in the first part was someone asking about Alethi hair colors and the possible connection with the Royal Locks from Warbreaker. He said the similarity is deliberate. Then he said I had just gotten a juicy bit for my recording. I'm a total stealth fail. =)

Edited by Sir Jerric

Also I don't know if this is common knowledge already but one of the other guys I talked to asked where Nightblood fits in chronologically. He said that it is closer to Warbreaker than it is to Way of Kings. A lot closer. 

I didn't hear the question myself, that is just what he told me he had asked and what the answer was. 

Also I don't know if this is common knowledge already but one of the other guys I talked to asked where Nightblood fits in chronologically. He said that it is closer to Warbreaker than it is to Way of Kings. A lot closer. 

I didn't hear the question myself, that is just what he told me he had asked and what the answer was.

Here's the full transcript of that question, as a little practice run.

Q: So Nightblood, the Warbreaker sequel. Chronologically, does that come before or after the Stormlight Archive?

A: Before.

Q: Before. So in-between Warbreaker and Stormlight?

A: Yes.

Q: Okay.

A: More close to Warbreaker than to Stormlight. I've been promising people that book for years, so, I do need to write it. (continued)

The fun thing is that Vasher was in the original draft from 2002, Way of Kings. And so, he is a Stormlight character in my head, even though I wrote an entire book about him in another world. He's not from Roshar, but . . .

In other news, the entire file is now labeled, and I can start the editing and transcribing process. The downside is that there are about 138 questions to deal with, so feel free to provide encouraging comments, or topics you'd like to have text for. Anything to keep me going.

Other topics in the signing include, but are not limited to:

• other continents,
  • the sometimes land/water inversion of Shadesmar,
  • the number ten in Mistborn,
  • why Wit asked Dalinar about Adonalsium,
  • Radiants getting shardplate,
  • the missing honorblade (rough audio here, sadly),
  • bonding a spren and using an honorblade,
  • the term Babsk,
  • Soulcaster Ardents,
  • the design of Tension and Cohesion is unfinished,
  • Shallan's parents
  • and Sigzil and Hoid.
Edited by Sir Jerric

I'll consider it. Particularly for the public Q&A (10 questions) and reading, since the audio quality is much higher. After my trial run, I don't fancy transcribing ten pages of prose;at least, not until I get more practice. =)

A few more samples from the transcription, to pass the time. Ellipses mark sections where I couldn't tell who was speaking what. Parentheses are educated guesses.

Q: . . .
A: Yes, uh-huh.
Q: And . . . Dalinar . . .
A: During that period before? Both the—You'll see a lot of the Dalinar flashbacks . . . he doesn't know what's going on. You should be able to read between the lines to see what's going on with him. And I think Jasnah might go back that far, but I'd have to go look at my notes. I'm not sure I can't remember off the top of my head where the flashback sequence is. . . . You may eventually see a viewpoint from Gavilar (himself), because every prologue is the same night.
Q: Is that going to . . .
A: And that's through the first five. Yeah. And then the second five will use . . . inciting incident.
Q: Thank you very much.

WoR spoiler:

Q: Does Szeth have any Surgebinding powers . . . losing the honorblade?
A: He would not have any after losing the honorblade. However, he has been approached by a member of one of the orders. And so, it's entirely possible that you would see him going somewhere with that. He also has a very special sword, that does very special things.

As for posting the audio, I'd really like to trim it down to just the sections with questions, and possibly sort those blocks by the question categories as well (book series, cosmere, magic the gathering, writing process / advice, news items). That much will take a fair bit of work, but I don't see that many people being interested in pouring over 210 minutes of poor audio to find a few of 138 questions that interest them. Much more user-friendly in manageable chunks. And easier to avoid spoilers too. I plan to start fiddling with that tomorrow morning, but I doubt I'll be done in less than a week with my current schedule issues.

Ooh, very interesting answer, that second one.

So the Skybreakers are actually an Order with a capital 'O', are they? Very interesting...

Agreed. WoR

I thought that identifier rather interesting given that it is not the one used in the chapter

In other news, I have provided the introduction, public Q&A session, and reading as a 31 minute soundcloud file. You can find that here: http://soundcloud.co...derson-omaha-qa

I've transcribed none of this yet, so if someone wishes to play, be welcome to it. I can turn on the download option if someone prefers to work offline.

The subjects of the ten questions are:

1. Aren't you tired?
  2. Alcatraz five
  3. Interactions in Words of Radiance
  4. Hindersnap
  5. Upcoming Works
  6. Elantris 2 / Nightblood
  7. Legion Omnibus
  8. Favorite thing you've written
  9. Steampunk influence
  10. Inspirations for Books

Wiery directed me over here. I asked about Shallan's parents and another question. here were my questions:

Q. What group, if any, was Shallan's mother a part of?
B. RAFO
Q. Was Shallan's father influenced at all by Odium?
B. Yes
Q. Is it possible to bind with more than one spren of different types? I think you have this one in the opening post, I don't remember the exact words I used - I think what you put in the OP is more the words I used... unless someone else asked the same question (I was too excited to be meeting brandon).
B. I'm not going to say it's Impossible

More early release transcriptions by requests:

So he's really scared of Odium, huh.

Q: Is there anything Hoid was scared of? And if so, is it still around, and . . . (Brandon talked over the rest of the question.)

A: There are many things that Hoid is scared of. He is really scared of Odium, but there are others.

Here are my questions and answers from last night:

First, I asked if Hoid has been to Braize and he laughed, smiled, and gave me a RAFO.

Second, I asked if a Seon/Skaze could become a Shardblade or something similar. He said it is theoretically possible but it would need something else to bring it more fully into the physical realm.

Last I asked if the comet Spren was a Highspren. He was coy and said it is very important to one of the orders of Knights Radiant.

Q: Has Hoid ever visited the planet Braize?

A: (sing-song voice) RAFO. Such a big RAFO. The biggest RAFO.

Q: Could a Seon, or a Skaze, could they turn into a, some sort of Shardblade on their own planet?
A: That is theoretically possible. It's—I mean they work under the same fundamentals, but they would need to have something to pull them more into the physical realm.

Q: Do we see the highspren at all in Words of Radiance? And if so, do they look like a comet?
A: That's a good question. That's a gooood, good question. I will say this, the comet, hmm, the comet spren. The comet spren is very important to an order of Knights Radiant.
Q: Okay. Thank you.

I was also at the signing, some of his answers were pretty fascinating.

He also told someone that "the end of the entire series is already in the first two books, similar to mistborn. But this time, it isn't in the first few pages."

Did anyone gather what books are for which characters?

Book 1 - Kaladin
Book 2 - Shallan
Book 3 - Szeth

Book 5 - Dalinar

Has anyone heard about book 4, or 6-10?

Q: How far do you plan on taking the Stormlight (Archive)?

A: It is two five book arcs. So it's five books, we'll have a climax and an ending, and we will come back for book six, probably a few years later.

Q: I know you'd said earlier that each book was going to follow one main character with the back stories. Who do you plan on (doing) for the third book?
A: Third book is Szeth. Fourth book is Eshonai. Fifth book is Dalinar.
Q: Awesome. How many are you planning that it is going to be?
A: It's ten books, but there's five books and then a break and then five books.

Q: So do you know quite a bit about what the end of the series is going to be?
A: I do. I do indeed. I've actually written the epilogue to book five.
Q: Oh, yeah?
A: Just to get it in my head. I wrote it out. Peter, my assistant, sent an exclamation point after he saw that appear in the wiki and stuff. So, yes. And, actually the ending of the entire series, of the ten books, is somewhere in those two books. Just like in Mistborn, it was in the first page; it's not in the first page, but it is in those books.
Q: Huh. Awesome.

Q: If Dalinar is book three, who is book four?
A: Dalinar is book five. Book four is Eshonai. Szeth is book three.

Wiery directed me over here. I asked about Shallan's parents and another question. here were my questions:

Q. What group, if any, was Shallan's mother a part of?
B. RAFO
Q. Was Shallan's father influenced at all by Odium?
B. Yes
Q. Is it possible to bind with more than one spren of different types?
I think you have this one in the opening post, I don't remember the exact words I used - I think what you put in the OP is more the words I used... unless someone else asked the same question (I was too excited to be meeting brandon).
B. I'm not going to say it's Impossible

Q: So, questions about Shallan's mother. What secret group, if any, was she a part of?

A: (*laughs*) RAFO, but you're right, she was indeed involved.

Q: Also, is her father, was he affected by Odium at all?
A: Yes.

Q: Can you bond with more than one spren? You've already answered that one in another—You pretty much implied yes.
A: I did not say yes.
Q: You implied. (*background debate*) That is a good one—more than one type of spren?
A: Why don't you—let's see what happens. This is not impossible.
Q: Perfect. Thanks, Brandon.
A: I'll just say it's not impossible.

And because I mentioned it earlier:

Q: The hair color: is there a link between the hair color in Warbreaker and the hair color in—like with the Alethi always have black, and I can't remember the other country that always have their gold hair coloring?
A: Yes. You are noticing something very interesting which was done deliberately.
Q: Okay. I thought so.
A: He finally got something cool for his, for his—he's recording all these questions.
Q: Oh, okay.
A: You're the first one to ask a really cosmere-centric question.

How is hair color cosmere-centric? I can't really wrap my mind around it.

From what I understand, there is something very deep happening with the ethnicities on Roshar. The way hair color is passed down on Roshar is not a genetic thing; it is completely different. The only other example about hair color is the Divine Locks. Interesting that they are so related...

Q: Has Hoid ever visited the planet Braize?

A: (sing-song voice) RAFO. Such a big RAFO. The biggest RAFO.

What the heck with Hoid and Braize. I don't know why that's so significant, but that is so significant.

From what I understand, there is something very deep happening with the ethnicities on Roshar. The way hair color is passed down on Roshar is not a genetic thing; it is completely different. The only other example about hair color is the Divine Locks. Interesting that they are so related...

What the heck with Hoid and Braize. I don't know why that's so significant, but that is so significant.

And the fact that Brandon willingly attributed such significance to it makes me think that the answer is yes.  We already know that Hoid hates Rayse, and is very afraid of him and his power.  In WoR he specifically mentions his worries about what would happen if Odium found him, and that's while he's on Roshar.  So if the answer to that question was no, it wouldn't be that significant in my mind.  Hoid has plenty of reasons to avoid going to Braize, Odium's actual home.  There wouldn't be anything strange or unusual about him staying away from there.

My inference is that Hoid did go to Braize in the past, and something big went down between him and Rayse there.  Alternatively, given the mentions we've heard of Adonalsium having influenced Roshar pre-Shattering, if Hoid and the original Shardholders were capable of worldhopping pre-Shattering, might it be possible that Adonalsium wasn't shattered on Yolen, their planet of origin, as we've all assumed?  Maybe it happened on Braize.  There's a certain sort of sense in the 'personification of God's wrath' choosing the site of God's destruction as his abode, thematically speaking.  

But I definitely think now that Hoid has been to Braize, and what he did there had huge ramifications for the greater cosmere story, whatever it was.

Edit:  The more I think about it, the more I'm trying to remember...have we ever had confirmation that Yolen was the site of Adonalsium's shattering, or did we just assume it because that's the homeworld of Hoid and the other Shardholders, and the focal point of Dragonsteel?  But if Hoid and some others were capable of worldhopping before its Shattering, which, technically, there's no reason to assume they weren't....huh.  Now I really would love for someone to ask if Adonalsium was Shattered on Yolen, and/or if Hoid was worldhopping before it Shattered.

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

My inference is that Hoid did go to Braize in the past, and something big went down between him and Rayse there.  Alternatively, given the mentions we've heard of Adonalsium having influenced Roshar pre-Shattering, if Hoid and the original Shardholders were capable of worldhopping pre-Shattering, might it be possible that Adonalsium wasn't shattered on Yolen, their planet of origin, as we've all assumed?  Maybe it happened on Braize.  There's a certain sort of sense in the 'personification of God's wrath' choosing the site of God's destruction as his abode, thematically speaking.  

What if Braize was once Yolen? This fits with the theory that Braize is the respawn point for the Heralds, with Odium as a spawn camper.

EDIT: Also fits with Adonalsium visiting Roshar in the past if the Rosharan system was once the Yoleni system.

Edited by Kadrok

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone ever upload the full signing audio for this? :)

No. I hadn't.

On the other hand, that statement is now in past tense.

The audio in particular, and perhaps the question index as well, is rife with spoilers, so peruse at your own risk.

Here are Dropbox links for the signing audio, and an index for the 85 minute file.

20140313_Sanderson_Omaha_QA_Reading.mp3 (31 minutes)

20140313_Sanderson_Signing_Trimmed.mp3 (85 minutes)

20140313_Signing_Questions_Index.txt

I hope to be able to post my transcription progress soon, but I'm out of time for the moment.