Mid-Range Game 28: Knives in the Dark

Elenion

Is there any type of advertising system in place to recommend SE to anyone not familiar with it? I stumbled across it on accident a few months after I joined, so people may not know about it. But then again, maybe this has already been tried and didn't work, declared a bad idea by those who know more about the forum, or something else. I don't know, just an idea.

Hey look it's STINK what a cool guy am I right where's my guy that's supposed to introduce me with like a trumpet or something.

Aight pretend there's a trumpet guy here, going bwoot or something.

Today is the grand announcement that I'll be playing this game and stuff ya know I mean why else would you post in the sign-up thread you know what ignore this too.

RPing as Trumpet Guy

Because we only have 9 players, I'm going to extend signups to the same time on Tuesday the 20th. I've balanced for 20-ish players and we need a minimum of about 15-17 for this game to work. Here's the new timer and I've corrected the one in the OP.

red_1521579600.png

Edited by Elenion
I can count now, yay!

What if some of us play as *two* characters, hm? That would bring some more players into the player count, without having to extend signups any longer.

We could use some of the anonymous accounts to keep it a secret who has two characters.

Alright, sounds good.

If possible, I will try to RP during the wait for more signups.

Nalter sat in the streets, trying to remember the last time he had smelt such a smell. It seemed like every day in this city, the smell was different: the combinations of restaurants, paper, breath, sand, and ocean spray always seemed to mix anew.

He would have to go inside to a restaurant and ask for their most common meal, one that wasn’t already one he ate on a regular basis. He’d then have it a week later, and see if the memory was strong enough for a tastespren.

Of course, with a murderer about, that probably wasn’t the thing he should be studying. Secondly, he had to be at the library soon, so he could help some ardents and get some spheres for books.

If only I had more ability to study, I could get this experiment done more effectively, and take less time. Then, Nalter could figure out the next mystery he had on his mind: whether Kharbaranth really did have a set of metal spikes that could charge gems with Stormlight, or even act as fabrials...

Edited by Walin
Tastespren—I did a different type of spren on accident

Well, here goes. I do not promise extraordinary activity, but I do promise ordinary activity.

"Mad" Mapadonet, Kharbranth's most famous and highly renowned pig researcher.

Mad Mapadonet  is Kharbranth's only pig researcher.

Once I was a humble pig keeper, shamed and shunned by all for my hideous face, loathsome manners, and bizarre affinity for pigs. Then I realized that all I had to do was put on a fancy hat and declare myself a famous professor. Everyone still shamed and shunned me, but I felt better about myself. Plus the pigs like me just the same, and they're the only ones who count, really.

Edited by Madagascar

Oh wow. That's a lot of notifications. 

Been MIA for a bit due to life getting a 'bit' hectic. Things are calming down tho so I decided to visit and see what's been going on. Lo and behold, there's a game in desperate need of more players. I see more harm ignoring it than participating, so...

Sign me up as Ana Lyst.

An overdressed stranger walked purposefully towards the gates of Kharbranth.

City of Bells. The stranger remembered this place, every inch of it, down to the ridges of crem on the city wall. Had seen it once through a hundred pairs of eyes.

His shadow fell on a group of guards at the gate, though the sun was setting behind them. He extended a gloved hand to the watch captain, offering a small envelope.

"The name's Ev," the stranger spoke, shaking the captain's hand. "Spending some time in Kharbranth for some, ah, scholarly work."

The guardsman gave the stranger a funny look, but, after a brief perusal of the envelope's contents, he was admitted. A small, dark-feathered bird soared down from the wall, following lazily in his wake.

I suppose I can participate in this after all.

I will join this game simply to have the opportunity to play with Aman, whose reputation precedes him considerably. I’ll sign up as Nolan, who can probably be reworked into a more modern Rosharan character. Aman, it’s a pleasure to play with you after hearing so much about you.

1 hour ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I will join this game simply to have the opportunity to play with Aman, whose reputation precedes him considerably. I’ll sign up as Nolan, who can probably be reworked into a more modern Rosharan character. Aman, it’s a pleasure to play with you after hearing so much about you.

It's a pleasure to be welcomed back with so much warmth :D looking forward to playing with you as well! And everyone else, of course :P

Edit: It seems that makes 14. A couple more people and Len should be able to get this show on the road ^_^ 

Edited by Amanuensis

Sorry I'm late; I was at a scholarship competition today and I forgot all about this in the stress of it all.

Back on topic, this makes 14 official signups, and Ecth told me to hold him a spot so that makes 15. I've prepared a modification of the rules that will work for 16-19 instead of 20, so if we still don't have 20 by Friday I'll get Joe's or Wilson's approval on the revised setup and go with that.

red_1521838800.png

Hrm, yes, well, you were probably just pulled in by the porcine magnetism. Pigs are well known to be magnetic, in fact, it was my study of this that lead to my many prizes and academic accolades. I'd show you them but, ah, they're in the back. *gestures vaguely at surrounding filth*

Nalter had tried a couple of restaurants so far, but none had been particularly memorable. The "specials" were just really good versions of food he had eaten many times before. However, none of the other foods were common enough to attract tastespren. Nalter's hypothesis was that each taste had a connection to tastespren, and if it was more commonly experienced by people, it was more connected to tastespren. If you had a memory associated with a common taste, it would be more likely to attract a tastespren.

However, since he had never seen one, Nalter didn't know how accurate this information was. He didn't know how to research this further, however, so he went back to the library. No better way to spend his time, other than wandering the streets looking for death.

Stupid murderers ruining a good day's walk, he thought. Well, it's not like I would learn anything about tastespren if I weren't tasting anything, so it's still a better idea to be in the library. He flagged down an ardent and asked what kind of sorting he could do.

3 hours ago, Walin said:

Nalter had tried a couple of restaurants so far, but none had been particularly memorable. The "specials" were just really good versions of food he had eaten many times before. However, none of the other foods were common enough to attract tastespren. Nalter's hypothesis was that each taste had a connection to tastespren, and if it was more commonly experienced by people, it was more connected to tastespren. If you had a memory associated with a common taste, it would be more likely to attract a tastespren.

However, since he had never seen one, Nalter didn't know how accurate this information was. He didn't know how to research this further, however, so he went back to the library. No better way to spend his time, other than wandering the streets looking for death.

Stupid murderers ruining a good day's walk, he thought. Well, it's not like I would learn anything about tastespren if I weren't tasting anything, so it's still a better idea to be in the library. He flagged down an ardent and asked what kind of sorting he could do.

"Oi! Hey you! Yeah you! Come 'ere!"

Walin glanced around, confused for a second, before he realized that the little man with the Herdazian accent was, in fact, shouting at him. From across the street. Walin cautiously approached. The man was leaning on a strange hand cart with small wisps of steam rising up out of it. Did he have a heat fabrial in there?

"You've got the look of a man with an empty belly itching to be filled with something hot and tasty, indeed you have. I should know, I can spot the look a mile away, I can. Lucky for you I have just the thing! Here, try this. Only 2 clear chips." He held out a bundle of food that consisted of something smothered in gravy and wrapped in a piece of flatbread. It smelled... well, Walin couldn't figure out exactly what it smelled like, but it smelled edible. Probably. 

On 3/9/2018 at 0:49 PM, Elenion said:

red_1521838800.png

Less than 8 hours left. Just a friendly reminder to anyone debating joining to do so sooner rather than later so Len doesn't have to do any last minute balancing, and for those who have signed up to start hyping themselves up for a good time ^_^

Also just letting everyone know I'm driving home this evening to surprise my mom for her birthday tomorrow (they don't know I'm back in America, yet :P). So I probably won't be super active this weekend, but I'll definitely make sure to keep up and post at least twice every day. If I'm Fortunate enough to live until Monday, you can probably expect me to come in swinging ;)

Hmmmm ... *clears throat with a horrible noise* I will also have some of that chouta. One for me, and one each for my pigs, I mean, research subjects Bertha, Piggles, Sam Snout, Lord Porkinstein ... you know what, just give me 50 chouta. Look I don't have enough, uh, coin for all of these on my right now, but just put it on the university's tab. They're good for it.

I will probably also be pretty busy this weekend.