Progress Bars

I'm guessing they'll go away once he starts on his next project and W&W4 since Oathbringer and Legion are the oldest ones here. But I'm more interested in why the secret project is still 2% and we've gotten updates on Skyward

1 hour ago, Chiri-Chiri said:

Did anyone see the tweet where BS asked for a fighter pilot to give him some advise??

Maybe this is related to that 2% ^_^

Nah, that's definitely for some Skyward stuff, as its about sentient spaceships and stuff

Just now, Chiri-Chiri said:

But it's kind of weird that he asks for help during the third draft...

I don't know :unsure:

Maybe he thought that he couldn't get the fight scenes with spaceships right, or something. Or maybe it could actually be about the secret project.

4 hours ago, Angsos said:

Not saying you're wrong because it probably is for skyward but wouldn't space combat and air combat be different since atmosphere and stuff isn't pulling on you?

Unless there's a part in the story that's on a planet...

14 hours ago, Angsos said:

Not saying you're wrong because it probably is for skyward but wouldn't space combat and air combat be different since atmosphere and stuff isn't pulling on you?

They do share fighting in 3 dimensions though, which other combat doesn't have. It's better than nothing.

Yeah, that’s not unusual for Brandon. His standard practice is (as he puts it) to do a couple hours/days of research which will allow him to get to 80% proficiency in a particular topic. Then he writes the story as best as he can and then has an expert in the topic read what he wrote and offer suggestions and corrections. So it sounds to me like his fighter pilot request is in relation to Skyward. Even if it’s not specific to atmospheric flight/combat and Brandon just wants someone to give input on what it feels like to pilot a fighter plane/ship. 

Edited by Herowannabe

• 2 months later...

We like to joke about how much stuff Brandon has planned at any given time, but we need to realize that he's usually not working on four things at once.

I gotta agree with Angsos. If memory serves, the "Secret" that ended up as Skyward was 3rd on the list before. Now he's added Skyward at the top, and that secret has been pushed down one spot to 4th. Seems reasonable, no?

On the subject of Air/Space combat, there's these snippets from the Cover Reveal Article:

Brandon's Summary: It involves a girl who wants to be a starfighter pilot who finds an old broken down ship that she decides to try to repair in secret–while navigating flight school.

The Synopsis: Spensa’s world has been under attack for hundreds of years. An alien race called the Krell leads onslaught after onslaught from the sky in a never-ending campaign to destroy humankind.  [...]  which will make Spensa’s world twice as deadly… but just might take her skyward.

Combining several things from this tells us that Flight School is almost certainly on planet. You can't exactly use "from the sky" and "take her skyward" in a space setting can you? She's trying to repair a old ship she "found," which implies crashed/abandoned, rather than sitting in the mechanics bay of flight school, and you can't find a lost ship in space without being a pilot, something that she isn't since she hasn't completed flight school, forcing the ship to be on the ground. Brandon appears to imply that she gets into flight school during the time she is repairing the ship, meaning that flight school is also on the ground, since she wouldn't say the ship could take her skyward if flight school is already skyward, nor could she repair a ship on the ground while in a training academy in space.

Additionally, since the 2017 SotS implies Skyward will be a trilogy, so having the first book be predominantly air combat rather than space isn't too unreasonable.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:26 AM, Draginon said:

But I'm more interested in why the secret project is still 2% and we've gotten updates on Skyward

Sorry for the double-post, but we actually have details on this from February.

which leaves me around six or seven months to play with, and I’m hoping to finish another book in the Skyward series. However, before I dive into that, there’s a certain novella I need to write. We’re listing that as “Secret Project” and it’s not anything you’re probably guessing. I’ll reveal it when the time is right, but for now, it’s not cosmere, and is not something I’ve talked about before.

The Secret Project bar is at 75% now, so it appears to be going well.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Angsos said:

does anyone know what the secret project is because judging the progress bar, it's either done or almost finished

At this point, I'm half convinced even Brandon doesn't know what the secret project is!

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is, "Secret Project," Infinity Blade?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Secret project is not Infinity Blade. I'm sorry. Secret Project is a secret. Secret Project I cannot discuss for contractual reasons.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, Chiri-Chiri said:

But it's kind of weird that he asks for help during the third draft...

I don't know :unsure:

Evidently that's what authors do. The publishers came out with the release date for Thorn of Emberlain on September of last year (usually a release date set by publisher is pretty reliable). Of course he didn't meet it and in about March of this year Scott Lynch is going around on twitter asking for help on how to write about homosexual relationships. 

13 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Evidently that's what authors do. The publishers came out with the release date for Thorn of Emberlain on September of last year (usually a release date set by publisher is pretty reliable). Of course he didn't meet it and in about March of this year Scott Lynch is going around on twitter asking for help on how to write about homosexual relationships. 

Thank you Ammanas, I have absolutely no idea how an author works. :)

I always thought that the bigger issues were defined and fixed in the two first drafts, I supposed that the third draft was for fixing tiny details.

Edited by Chiri-Chiri
fixing tiny details (third draft)

On 6/22/2018 at 10:47 AM, Chiri-Chiri said:

Thank you Ammanas, I have absolutely no idea how an author works. :)

I always thought that the bigger issues were defined and fixed in the two first drafts, I supposed that the third draft was for fixing tiny details.

Different authors can work very differently.  In this FAQ entry Brandon summarizes his drafting process: His third draft is usually the very first "polished" one to be sent to his editor, agent, writing group, and other "alpha" readers.  Later drafts incorporate feedback from those alphas before going to beta readers.

Given the size of some of his books, Brandon does what I consider a remarkably small number of drafts.  On the other extreme, I have a vague memory of Pat Rothfuss saying he did something like 150+ drafts of The Wise Man's Fear, which is one reason it wouldn't make sense for him to set up progress bars like Brandon's.  (Another reason is that he doesn't just blast straight through each draft the way Brandon does, which makes even counting the number of drafts a bit tricky.)

On 6/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, Angsos said:

does anyone know what the secret project is because judging the progress bar, it's either done or almost finished

I had totally thought it was the final Alcatraz book. There was a post on his site https://brandonsanderson.com/alcatraz-the-big-reveal/ that said that a screenshot of his secret project got out. 

“So what does this mean for the future of the series? Well, two years ago I posted a screenshot of my folder showing all of my books in order. It hid a secret project, scribbled out. People assumed this was Secret History, and I didn’t disabuse them (as I was working on it at the time). But it’s actually Evil Librarians Six, which I’ve done a bunch of work on. I’m not sure when I’ll have it out, but it won’t be too long. (I will probably finish it sometime next year.)”

But, based on the WOB that it’s something he can’t contractually talk about, probably not...

23 hours ago, LarkinTyvell said:

I had totally thought it was the final Alcatraz book. There was a post on his site https://brandonsanderson.com/alcatraz-the-big-reveal/ that said that a screenshot of his secret project got out.

But, based on the WOB that it’s something he can’t contractually talk about, probably not...

Yeah, he's said that it's not something he's talked about before on top of not being able to talk about it, so it can't be Alcatraz on both counts. xD

38 minutes ago, Jaconis said:

The progress bars aren’t showing up for me anymore. Anybody help me out with why? I thought he just got rid of them. 

I’m on chrome on phone, I’d that matters. 

Just checked on my own and I couldn't see the bars either but a search for text confirmed that they were still there, just not visible. With a bit of poking around I found that 'clicking' on the very top of the page will get the bars to drop down.

21 hours ago, Weltall said:

Yeah, he's said that it's not something he's talked about before on top of not being able to talk about it, so it can't be Alcatraz on both counts. xD

Well, double drat then, since we know Brandon doesn’t lie! The progress bar has jumped to 100% for the second draft of it now, so here’s hoping we will be hearing more about it soon.