An introduction, and some questions

Bluth

Hello.  I am new here, but have read a good bit of Brandon's work.  I am trying to discover more about the cosmere as I go along and likely am going to re-read everything that I have read to this point. If this is not the place to ask this question, please feel free to point me to it. I want to learn as much as I can and need to know the best order to read to understand as much about the cosmere as possible. I have read, in order, Mistborn Trilogy, The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Elantris, Warbreaker, The Reckoners series (I think this has nothing to do with the cosmere), The Way of Kings (again), Words of Radiance (again), Edgedancer and Oathbringer.  I know that this is a complex question, but any information anyone else can provide will be much appreciate. For now, I am planning to re-read Mistborn, the next three Mistborn books and then I am not sure. Thanks in advance.

So the question is about the best order to read the cosmere? That's a hard one. Personally, I read them in publication order, but I don't think there's a right way, or a best way per say. Perhaps reading all the ones that happen on the same world together would help. Like reading Warbreaker and emporers soul, then switch worlds to read mistborn 

And you're right, reckoners is noncosmere. 

Thank you for the cookie. I will have to think about your request before I answer.  My favorite to this point is Way of Kings as it introduced me to Kaladin.  I am over 50 and have read tons of all kinds of books, but I believe Kaladin might be my favorite character ever.

Edit: I meant to quote Elephant Earwax but messed it up.

Edit 2: I was merely thanking you for the cookie. I did not actually eat it, or anything.

Edited by Bluth

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

So the question is about the best order to read the cosmere? That's a hard one. Personally, I read them in publication order, but I don't think there's a right way, or a best way per say. Perhaps reading all the ones that happen on the same world together would help. Like reading Warbreaker and emporers soul, then switch worlds to read mistborn 

Thank you. I will continue with my current plan.  I have not read Emperor's Soul, so will likely re-read Warbreaker and then read Emperor's Soul.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

4 hours ago, Bluth said:

Thank you. I will continue with my current plan.  I have not read Emperor's Soul, so will likely re-read Warbreaker and then read Emperor's Soul.

Just a note of warning, Warbreaker and Emperors Soul are not on the same planet. Warbreaker is on Nalthis, while Emperors Soul is on Sel. Emperors Soul and Elantris share the same world.

Edited by MacThorstenson

14 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Just a note of warning, Warbreaker and Emperors Soul are not on the same planet. Warbreaker is on Nalthis, while Emperors Soul is on Sel. Emperors Soul and Elantris share the same world.

Then I will re-read both before I read Emperors Soul.  Thank you.

I like to read them in chronological order, myself (which is roughly the same as publication order), except for MB Era 2 because it happens on the same planet as Era 1.

White Sand

Elantris, The Hope of Elantris, Emperor's Soul.

11th Metal/Mistborn Era 1+2, Secret History

Warbreaker

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

WoK, WoR, Edgedancer, OB.

Sixth of the Dusk

22 minutes ago, RShara said:

I like to read them in chronological order, myself (which is roughly the same as publication order), except for MB Era 2 because it happens on the same planet as Era 1.

White Sand

Elantris, The Hope of Elantris, Emperor's Soul.

11th Metal/Mistborn Era 1+2, Secret History

Warbreaker

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

WoK, WoR, Edgedancer, OB.

Sixth of the Dusk

Thank you.

This is (in my opinion) the best way to read to pick up on all the cosmere tidbits in the books.

-Khriss's Essay on Taldain, White Sand (prose first, then the graphic novels. Prose isn't canon, but is much better than the graphic novels, and contains the whole story. You can obtain White Sand prose by subscribing to Brandon's newsletter)

- Khriss's Essay on Sel, Elantris, Hope of Elantris, Emperor's Soul

- Khriss's Essay on Threnody, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

-The Eleventh Metal, Mistborn, the Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages

-Secret History*

-Warbreaker

- Khriss's Essay on Roshar, Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Edgedancer, Oathbringer

- Khriss's Essay on Scadrial, Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning, Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania

- Khriss's Essay on Drominad, Sixth of the Dusk

- Reread Khriss's Essays

(All stories in italics are contained in Arcanum Unbounded)

*Some may argue that Secret History should be read after Bands of Mourning. I strongly disagree, but it's up to you in the end if you want to place it at the end, after Bands of Mourning.

Welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote

I personally recommend people to read them in this order:

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Well of Ascension

Hero of Ages

Elantris

The Alloy of Law

Shadows for Self

The Bands of Mourning

Warbreaker

The Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Oathbringer

Arcanum Unbounded (I really enjoyed reading this as a collection, and would recommend it last because it bridges all the gaps from the other books on the path to greater cosmere understanding, but alternatively you can read stories within it after you read the book(s) it contains spoilers for.)

Remember, this is just my personal reading order, and you can completely ignore it if you wish. Personally, I feel that the Stormlight Archive takes a lot of trust in the author to begin (what, with a prelude, prologue, chapter one narrated by a side character who dies in five pages and is basically another prologue, and all) and should be read later when the reader has a better idea of the quality the author can deliver and does not give up on the book. (read: reader is sufficiently addicted to Sanderson) I suggest TFE first because I feel that it does a better job hooking the reader on the story than Elantris. (don't take this as criticism of Elantris, I loved that book) One thing you should definitely do, regardless of reading order, is read Warbreaker before the Stormlight Archive. WoR and OB spoilers:

Spoiler

Because Vivenna and Nightblood

Just my two cents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, Bluth said:

Thank you for the cookie. I will have to think about your request before I answer.  My favorite to this point is Way of Kings as it introduced me to Kaladin.  I am over 50 and have read tons of all kinds of books, but I believe Kaladin might be my favorite character ever.

Edit: I meant to quote Elephant Earwax but messed it up.

Edit 2: I was merely thanking you for the cookie. I did not actually eat it, or anything.

Oh good, don't eat it!  It's a trap! 

On 10/04/2018 at 7:27 AM, Bluth said:

I have just received my prose version of White Sands.  I am pretty stoked about it :)

There's another unpublished book that's also available.

Not sure how much it's permitted to talk about, but I'm sure you'll find it if you look around. :)