How DO rosharians know what a hound is ?

Zape

Hoid brought it up in one of shallan's flashbacks and he raised a good point how do they know what a hound is ? it cant be some extinct specie since dawntounge didn't survive the desolation's meaning the word was made for alethi 

The word was created in Alethi, but it's still a linguistic vestige from an earlier concept. 

Argent

In The Way of Kings, Chapter 54: Gibletish, Dalinar has a brief conversation with Brightlord Hatham, one of his ardents, and a few other people. During the conversation the ardent uses the word "soil" in a way most Rosharans wouldn’t. After the conversation he tells Dalinar of "our goodwill toward you" and that "we will speak with you again." The odd use of the word "soil" combined with what could be a vague reference to the ardent’s associated with a group other than the ardentia has led some of us to believe he might be a worldhopper. Plus, we know Nazh is around in the area, or will arrive soon. Is there truth to this idea, or are we overthinking this?

Brandon Sanderson

Alethi use the word "soil" on occasion in their language to mean "dirtied" or similar. It's a holdover from an earlier time. But they don't associate it with the ground, and if you see it used instead of stone like in this quote, it should indeed raise an eyebrow.

Argent

Sooo... I mean, my eyebrow was already raised. :D Let's not bait the RAFO too hard, and drop the worldhopper part - is there more to this particular ardent than meets the eye? :)

Wait, hold up. How can "soil" be a holdover from an earlier time if Roshar was always a rocky place? Or did you mean that it's one of those words that carried over from Yolish, or whatever other language people spoke before they migrated to Roshar (like "hound")?

Brandon Sanderson

It is similar to hound, which is one of the ones that Hoid pointed out as an oddity. But people did not migrate from Yolen to Roshar. Roshar was inhabited before the shattering of Adonalsium.

Argent

Hmm. I am rusty on my Roshar history, I'll have to review what we know the topic. I know Roshar existed before the Shattering, and it was presumably populated, but I didn't think there had been humans there. They don't feel native. I've been working under the assumption that the Parshendi were native (maybe), but the humans came from somewhere - the Tranquiline Halls myths also kind of support that.

Or have I missed something?

Brandon Sanderson

Technically, what I said doesn't actually contradict anything you just said. But just to be extra safe: RAFO. I have to keep a FEW secrets safe from you people to come out in the books. :)

Footnote: Resolved in the OB tour. It's a worldhopper but not Nazh.
source

Spoiler

Remember that the Dawnchant is the Singers' language, native to Roshar. Words like "hound" and "soil" probably come from Ashynite languages.

Slight Oathbringer spoilers. Nothing people hadn't figured out beforehand, but still technically a spoiler.

Edited by Belzedar
Spoilered. I did not realize this thread was not [OB].

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

The word was created in Alethi, but it's still a linguistic vestige from an earlier concept. 

Actually... I keep wondering: how should that sentence look like, spoken by a native Rosharan?

• Chaos locked this topic