[OB] The 3rd Bondsmith spren

Malzera

I think the 3rd spren (the first 2 being the storm father and the night watcher) is oathbringer.

The shard blade is the only blade we know the deep history of, owned by sadees the sun maker (and presumed bond smith), who was the last person to unite Alethcar under 1 banner. He also tore down the Hierarchy (likely due to his knowledge giving to him by oathbringer) much like Dalinar in the third book. He then went on to fight herdaz and the rest of Roshar. This was probably a result of failed negotiations, similar to Dalinar’s early attempts to unit the world, but when his talks failed the sun maker reverted to war likely starting the death of his spren. I also think that Dalinar will revive oathbringer as it doesn’t scream when Dalinar holds it, only whimper.

furthermore when Kaladin and company are trapped in shadesmar the spren of the oath gate says that it’s parent is dead and we have it from a WoB that dead spen naturally turn into shardblades on death and we know that nine orders failed during the recreance and with the sky breakers being so prevalent we know that the bond smith of that generation forsook his oaths killing the 3rd spren. 

Edited by Malzera

"Bondsmiths didn't have Blades"

Questioner
And there's one last question if I may: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly it is told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. I read some of the chapters from Dalinar from Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?

Brandon Sanderson
There's a backstory to every Blade and every one of them is special, that's the problem. But I will be exploring the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Questioner
As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson
Bondsmiths didn't have Blades.

Questioner
All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...

Brandon Sanderson
No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true

Bondsmith don't have blades but they could have them, it's just the spren that they bond with don't want to be blades. The Nahel bonds of bondsmithes allow for blades to form, but the spren off bondsmithes refuse to form into a blade, that's why Dalinar had a where blade of light in Oathbringer, he wanted a blade to get back to Urithru but the Stormfather refused to blade/only at second oath, so the blade was incomplete.

36 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Bondsmith don't have blades but they could have them

I'm aware that they can become Blades too(we have a WoB saying as much).

The usage of the word "didn't" though... Had he said they "normally couldn't/didn't normally have blades," then I might be less hesitant. But on its own, "didn't" implies a little more certainty to it, which is why I don't think they have had blades at all in the past.

8 minutes ago, Malzera said:

We saw that the storm father could be made to be a blade when force. I don’t remeber all the details but Dalinar did summon a blade in a panic when someone wasn’t on hand to work the oath gate 

He wasn't formed into a Blade.  Dalinar was able to sieze a chunk of the SF's power and solidify it enough to act as a key. 

Yes, the Nahel bond makes the possibility of  Blade, but it's extremely hard to do if the spren isn't willing.

Also, Dalinar is the first to bond the Stormfather since Honor died.

“You have been placed in a difficult position, my son,” Odium said. “You are the first to bond the Stormfather in his current state. Did you know that? You are deeply connected to the remnants of a god.”

I was bonded to men before. This never happened then.

“Honor was alive then. We are something different. His remnants, your soul, my will.”

Also, if the Stormfather were the Blade, he would be a deadeye, and he's very much aware and fulfilling his goals the entire time.

Edited by RShara

What confuses me the most is that I want to say the Sibling is of Odium because that’s the pattern the book seems to be setting up, but to me that also seems improbable. A high ranking member of the knights radiant sharing a bond with a spren of Odium? Seems unlikely (as Renarin proves me wrong)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

1) The Nightwatcher and Stormfather are parallel entities such that NW:Cultivation::SF:Honor2) There is sort of a parallel for Odium, but the parallel is the various Unmade instead of a single entitiy; 3) They are parallel in that they are all Splinters; 4) The Unmade are voluntary Splinters, because Odium ("like almost all of the other Shards") voluntarily splintered part of it's power5) The SF is different from the others because it's a Sliver.

source

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] The 3rd Bondsmith spren
  • Chaos locked this topic