Tentative release date for unhallowed stones/ Stormlight Archives book 3

Konn

So, I know I am in for a long wait, but after finishing WoR and loving it, I just have to know: Does anyone have any information about how the work-schedule of Mr. S looks for next few years, and when can we expect the next book in the Stormlight Archives?

As far as I'm aware, he's just about finished Firefight (Steelheart sequel), and his next book is Rithmatist 2, and after that he'll get onto Stormlight 3. He's also said he doesn't want to have a gap of more than 1.5-2 years between Stormlight books, so....not all *that* long I'd say, relatively.

Hahahaha i know how you feel!

The goodreads page says 2015 and he has finished the steelheart sequel i would say about 18 months, i read somewhere he is going to try to keep the Stormlight Archive books about 1year - 18months apart.

So i think mid/late 2015

Edited by WEZ313

I'd bet on spring 2016. Sounds like the first draft isn't starting until late fall, and there's still a bunch of things to do on the publishing end once he's been through a couple revisions and completed a final draft.

It'll probably be just my luck that Unhallowed Stones is published right around the time when The Winds of Winter is published, and I'll have to make the most difficult choice of my life.... haha

I think the publishers won't let it happen unless by 'around the same time' you mean in the same year.  But I think 2016 is way too optimistic about WoW  :P

I remember there being an estimate that seemed unrealistically soon, and I believe Peter got on and said something that ended up being no earlier than December 2015, but I'd have to find the quote. It's planned out though, and it won't take long. That was before he said he was going to lightheartedly race Rothfuss to get the book out. Firefight for sure, then I forget which one, but he was going to do Shadows of Self (Alloy of Law sequel) and then Tor asked him to get Stormlight out before that, so it is getting pushed back it looks like.

Words of Radiance took Brandon 18 months. Assuming similar writing time and adding 5 months for Rithmatist 2 I'd say 29 months from now(6 months for publishing stuff, layout, art, and getting access to printers that can fit the increased page count) Isn't Shadows of Self hitting between then too or is that right after. Because I can see that hitting 2 months after Stones Comes out.)

I think Peter said somewhere they wanted a full year, not just six months between finishing a draft and having the book actually released, so Brandon's assistants could have a little more breathing space in organising everything.

At the

Brandon said Shadows of Self has been moved till after Stormlight 3. 

In one of the recent signings he said his goal was late 2015. But it's possible that because of reasons it will be moved to spring 2016.

Hahahaha, I love "because of reasons".

According to Peter here's the release schedule:

Book 3: Fall 2016

Book 4-5: Fall 2018, and Fall 2020.

Mistborn trilogy break, and then Book 6 2025, or 2026

I'll be old by then. Nevermind, Journey before destination.

Yeah there seems to be discrepancy between Brandon, the speed writer who expects the book out fast, and Peter, the assistant who has said the assistants need more time. Hahahaha that all makes sense to me. I am going to expect it early 2016 as a compromise between the two. There is no real answer here.

• 3 weeks later...

Words of Radiance is my favorite book yet, and Stormlight is my favorite series. But I don't mind seeing the two Mistborn Adventuress, first. And, hopefully, Elantris. But most of all I'd really like to see Nightblood. Though, that is pretty far off I think. it's a shame; it could be a while before we get THOSE answers to both Warbreaker and Words of Radiance. But yeah, I read a bunch of times that Elantris 2 is suppose to be out for Elantris' 10th anniversary. Not a Stormlight book, but it's still a Cosmere work. So I count it and the Mistborn Adventures. Oh, and The Sixth of Dusk. Really can't wait for that one.

Listening to Brandon's Q&A sessions at his signings has made me realize that one reason he's so productive is that he is so good at focusing on what he personally needs to do, and finding talented people who believe in his vision that he trusts to help him manage and do other things. Like, the way that he often just leaves blanks in his manuscript, and says, "Peter, figure out how many spheres this should be", so that he can concentrate on writing. 

And I certainly understand why they need as much time as possible for the next stormlight book, considering how much editing and artwork and collaborating is needed. It really is quite ridiculous how much stuff is in that book. 

According to Peter here's the release schedule:

Book 3: Fall 2016

Book 4-5: Fall 2018, and Fall 2020.

Mistborn trilogy break, and then Book 6 2025, or 2026

I'll be old by then. Nevermind, Journey before destination.

Oh dear god, 2025? That sounds like a date from some far off sci-fi! I'll be 34 then... Dear god. I wish I had a Cadmium bubble...