[OB] Aimians and Moons

Zelly

Sorry if someone else has already brought this up, I just made the connection.

So we know that the Natan people are slightly blue skinned due to some mixed lineage from Aimians .

Chris Hansen

Are either the blue-skinned Natans or blue-veined Babatharnams human-Aimian hybrids?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

source

(Technically his answer could refer to the Babatharnams but not the Natans, but meh).

In OB, Wit relates his story of the moons to the crowd in Kholinar.  The queen of ancient Natan tricks Mishim, switches places, and mashes potatoes with the blue moon Nomon. Thus the first blue skinned Natan is born.

I always carefully crazy over-analyze read Wit's parts for something extra.  So what could be the connection here?  Any hidden truths in the story?

Could there actually be 3 races of Aimians similar to the blue moons? Probably unlikely as Brandon has mentioned 2 several times in WoB answers.  However, while 10 is a big Roshar number, there's also some 3s: the Shards, the spren Siblings & Bondsmiths, and the moons.

Could Aimians be from the moon?  (Also unlikely due to the fact that it's a moon, but then again do Aimians really need food or air?)

Other theory related to Aimians, but not moons:

In order to have enough offspring to create an entire people from hybridization, the two countries would have to interact a lot.  If this was true, it's more likely that (unlike what is seen on the world map) Aimia is actually fairly close to the Frostlands (ancient Natanatan) globally speaking. Roshar would be a supercontinent, but wrapped around the planet so that Aimia would be slightly east of  the Frostlands.  That area is called the Endless Sea, but what if it's not huge, but merely dangerous and confusing to sail? Almost like someone didn't want people being able to sail in that direction and discovering things.  Also to the East......where the mysterious Origin of highstorms is. Mmm?

Edit: Found an older thread with some similar ideas: 

Edited by Zellyia

We know the size of Roshar. They have a longitude and latitude system comparable to our own though in multiples of 10 (like everything; it's like they're anti-Americans) and we know that Roshar as continent is almost half of the planet as a whole.

Also keep in mind that they have instantaneous communication to the other side of the world via spanreed; they undoubtedly know the planet is round and that day and night are caused by the rotation of the planet, even if only because that's required to explain the differences in when day and night start.

So, yeah, there's no way they're not aware, at least to a certain degree, of the size of the planet.

2 hours ago, AngelDeath said:

Would lanceryn/larkins count as a third race? They're not humanoid, but they still might be super intelligent.  

Probably in the same vein as ryshadium might be considered a race. Humans, aimians and singers/listeners/parshendi/parshmen/voidbringers are the sentient human-like races we have on Roshar.

I like the idea with aimians being moon-people, but I don't feel like we have much fact to back it up with, as of right now.

14 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Probably in the same vein as ryshadium might be considered a race. Humans, aimians and singers/listeners/parshendi/parshmen/voidbringers are the sentient human-like races we have on Roshar.

I like the idea with aimians being moon-people, but I don't feel like we have much fact to back it up with, as of right now.

I'm curious which races are actually "native".  We  know humans aren't.  Horses and Ryshadium an oddball too, considering how everything else tends to be marine-ish. 

With as much Worldhopping that's happened, it could be the Aimians are also from a completely different place than both Roshar and whereever humans came from.  Cremlings fit the planet, so Dysian Aimians seeming fit, except they're so weird as well.  I wonder if Dysian Aimiams were different in the ancient past.  Perhaps their....uh colony life thing....is a result of symbiosis with a type of spren.

I just had this crazy idea. What if Nomon is blue because it's made out of water. (I don't know how it keep from freezing) If so; it would be land in Shadesmar. The the Siah Aimian might actually have lived on the moon, just on the Shadesmar side. Might be why their shadows point backwards; from living many generations in Shadesmar. Alternately Nomon might not be water, but some other liquid that freezes at a lower temperature.          

Edited by AngelDeath
misspelling

6 hours ago, Zellyia said:

I'm curious which races are actually "native".  We  know humans aren't.  Horses and Ryshadium an oddball too, considering how everything else tends to be marine-ish. 

With as much Worldhopping that's happened, it could be the Aimians are also from a completely different place than both Roshar and whereever humans came from.  Cremlings fit the planet, so Dysian Aimians seeming fit, except they're so weird as well.  I wonder if Dysian Aimiams were different in the ancient past.  Perhaps their....uh colony life thing....is a result of symbiosis with a type of spren.

I think the race that could most be considered "native" to Roshar would be the ancient Dawnsingers.  Everyone else seems imported.  I think Arclo says something about how he bred his horde to look like cremlings?  Which implies that they weren't that way originally.

3 hours ago, RShara said:

I think the race that could most be considered "native" to Roshar would be the ancient Dawnsingers.  Everyone else seems imported.  I think Arclo says something about how he bred his horde to look like cremlings?  Which implies that they weren't that way originally.

I don't think that's said in book, could be wrong. But there is absolutely a WoB that says that. 

Questioner

Are all Hordelings Cremlings and vise versa?

Brandon Sanderson

Cremling is a synonym in Roshar for both, insect and small crustation, right? And so you would see one and you would see that's a little crayfish. Cremling is not an exact term if that makes sense. It's like bug. The word "bug" people can use to mean a lot of different things.[...] So, yes, they look like Cremlings, because they've been bred to look like Cremlings, so they will not be noticed on Roshar, but there are Hordelings that do not look like Cremlings. But they would still be called a Cremling by the people on Roshar. The occasional people (?) used the word insect, 'cause that word does exist on Roshar. Usually make refers to like little flying bugs that you only find in the very far west of Roshar near the mountains, but yeah.

source

• Chaos locked this topic