[OB] Second Arc

Dawnshard

Hey so I've been thinking (it didn't hurt). Brandon has said that the first 5 books are an arc and then the second 5 are a slightly different arc. Crazy idea but what if the Radiants defeat Odium in the first 5 and Cultivation suddenly is the next antagonist in the second 5. It would be a huge twist right? P.S. I don't really believe this because of how much he has built Odium up as a villain in the backstory but its an interesting idea.

I think we're getting into Shyamalan territory. True, anything we'd never expect will indeed make a shocking twist. (Maybe Alrianne will be the next villain!) But the best twists aren't necessarily the most shocking ones. They're the ones make perfect sense in hindsight, and make you kick yourself for not figuring it out.

But I'm not saying this theory is completely implausible. I just don't think the "huge twist" factor is the strongest evidence. Brandon has gone out of his way to tell us that a lot of our assumptions about Cultivation might be wrong: despite appearances, she is neither helpless nor entirely benevolent. Her worldview is as warped as any Shard's, and her long-term goals are impossible to guess. She's the enemy of our enemy (Odium), but that does not necessarily make her our friend.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Second Arc

Or they could lose in the first half. Not sooo likely  but it could happen. We already now have doubts about the morality of humans fighting since they were the original Voidbringers. Maybe Arc 1 ends with humanity leaving Roshar or something, or retreating into Shinovar, and the singers get their land back. And then the second half would have a lot of different directions to go in. 

6 minutes ago, Del-light-full said:

Or they could lose in the first half. Not sooo likely  but it could happen. We already now have doubts about the morality of humans fighting since they were the original Voidbringers. Maybe Arc 1 ends with humanity leaving Roshar or something, or retreating into Shinovar, and the singers get their land back. And then the second half would have a lot of different directions to go in. 

Ya i had a similiar thought, makes sense if first arc ends in a defeat to me

Just now, IronBars said:

Ya i had a similiar thought, makes sense if first arc ends in a defeat to me

My only hesitation with that is that Brandon likes hopeful hero stories. Like I can see Kingkiller Chronicles ending in disaster but thats more Rothfuss's style and its foreshadowed. With Brandon Im not so sure that in line with the kind of stories he writes. But it would be awesome. 

57 minutes ago, Del-light-full said:

My only hesitation with that is that Brandon likes hopeful hero stories. Like I can see Kingkiller Chronicles ending in disaster but thats more Rothfuss's style and its foreshadowed. With Brandon Im not so sure that in line with the kind of stories he writes. But it would be awesome. 

Ya there's a similar thread to this one where i said i think would be good, end in a resounding defeat for the KR with a ray of hope etc.

And ya Rothfuss would, if he ever releases it....

• Chaos locked this topic