[OB] Fatalistic view point

Bendinfinities

I have to give the nod to Oathbringer just because of the size/scope of SA even though it is not a perfect book. I do love Mistborn (where I got started with the Cosmere). BoM was really good and the Cosmere implications at the end were awesome. I wouldn't say MB Era2 tops the original trilogy but it is an amazing follow up and I've enjoyed all the books a lot. It makes me excited to see two more MB eras. I think this was a really cool idea Brandon had to show the same world/magic as time and technology progresses. It's a unique approach to fantasy. 

I loved Bands. It combines the quick, tight plotting of the Era 2 books with the more epic feel and subject matter of Era 1. It opened up cosmere questions, revealed tons of hidden Scadrian worldbuilding, and it actually sold me on Steris and the romance. When I finished it, I thought it was Brandon's best book to date. In many ways, I still do. But in other ways, I enjoyed Oathbringer more.

As I've said in other threads, Oathbringer suffers a little from being the third book in a massive ten-book series. It has some structural weaknesses, and it feels a bit unfocused because there are so many plotlines. But the sheer epicness of the Stormlight saga wins me over every time. The flaws of Oathbringer as a novel are nothing compare to the achievements of Oathbringer as a chapter of the Stormlight Archive.

Tl;dr: Bands is a more skillful novel, but Oathbringer is more fun.

The and size and scope of SA is definitely a point, and I can agree with that. However, the characters in there current state are only going to extend to book five. If I were to make this post after reading WoR, I would have a completely different opinion. The character development for SA is  really going downward for me (Shallan was awful, Adolin was a fashionista?, Kaladin didn't  develop  at all really.. and Dalinar was great... also Teft and The Lopen) so maybe not all of them, BUT, I think that BoM's characters really hit home with development and actual relevance with the plot. Maybe it's because it's a later novel in that particular series that makes them more, I dunno, complete? Any ways, that's my brain on it.

This topic is very interesting because I just finished reading Oathbringer and am almost finished with Bands Of Mourning. (this is not the first time I read either of them)

So my thoughts on both, I think that OB is very grand and has a lot more revelations, but that is only because the book is wayyyyyyy longer. I really like BOM because it wraps up the battle with the Set and also introduces a lot of new data for theorizing about. Of course Brandon's books are all amazing.

I have to agree on the general consensus of both books being awesome. At the risk of being stoned for blasphemy, I would say that I might like Mistborn Era 2 better than the original trilogy. There were just some parts, particularly in WoA where the politics went on a little too long for my tastes. That being said, I still love them. Bands of Mourning was an awesome book and I am dying for the sequel. But in my mind Oathbringer still takes the cake. To use Brandon's own metaphor Mistoborn Era 2 is hamburger and fries while Stormlight is a steak dinner, and I love me some steak. Also Dalinar as been one of my favorite characters in all of fantasy since day one and he got not one, but two awesome character arcs with the flashbacks.

Agree with others, seems like a pacing and volume thing.

OB: Several "super amazing WOW 10/10" moments in an otherwise large lukewarm bath.

BoM: Pretty steady flow of "hey cool!" moments, but didn't occasionally make me freak out like OB did.

So I gotta tip my hat to OB. Plus I'm Stormlight biased. 

Edited by Zellyia

• Chaos locked this topic