Lift and Nightblood seem similar?

tenthfool

Okay, this is my first post here and maybe it's a little tinfoil. But hear me out!

I have a theory that what happened to Lift at the Nightwatcher is similar to the creation of Nightblood. Here is some 'evidence'

1. They are both always hungry. She even understands when Nightblood talks about his hunger (Admittedly this could just be her being odd)

2. They both exist in multiple realms.

3. They were created by beings who wield(ed) giant amounts of investiture

4. Stormfather says that woman went too far in creating her. This would make sense as this is a similar response of Vasher to the creation of Nightblood.

5. Both can get investiture through unconventional means.

I am not saying that she is completely like Nightblood. But the similarities between them is ... uncanny. The recent introduction of Azure's blade that's partially there to Nightblood status makes me suspect that some such thing has happened with Lift as well. She is halfway there. Like a human who's herself a Shardblade (Shardblades cut into cognitive realm too)

Could this mean she's indestructible? I don't know, it fits with not being changeable. It would be really cool if she could use investiture from food to block Shardblades with her hands or something like that.

Not a totally complete theory yet, but I would love to know what you think! Cheers!

@tenthfool, Welcome, and have an upvote! This is a great idea! I'm no theorist, but the connections are valid. I was just gonna say that they are both comedic reliefs, but you put it through it's paces! Warning, I wouldn't suggest giving away your breath or eating a cookie. Alternatively, you could have a penguin!*

Penguin.jpg
*Does not contain spikes. When adulthood is reached, likelihood of explosively imitating rocket-ships increases by a chance of 24601.0642%.

18 minutes ago, I am Witless said:

@tenthfool, Welcome, and have an upvote! This is a great idea! I'm no theorist, but the connections are valid. I was just gonna say that they are both comedic reliefs, but you put it through it's paces! Warning, I wouldn't suggest giving away your breath or eating a cookie. Alternatively, you could have a penguin!*

Penguin.jpg
*Does not contain spikes. When adulthood is reached, likelihood of explosively imitating rocket-ships increases by a chance of 24601.0642%.

Prinny-dude? 

Fun fact:  It's a King Penguin.  It's often confused with the Emperor penguin, but it's a bit smaller and lives in a different region.  You can tell the difference because on the King Penguin, the black/white plumage extends in a kind of tie all the way around the head/under the chin.  An Emperor Penguin is white up the front and sides until the head.

To get back on topic, this is an interesting set of similarities.  I have my own ideas on Lift, but there are plenty of strange things going on with her:

She converts food to stormlight (possible reference to Siri in Warbreaker growing her hair).

She causes the grain in the smugglers cart to glow and flow like water (possible reference to invested sand in White Sand).

She is able to locate Dalinar in the Stormfather's visions (possible reference to Seekers from Scadrial).

I'm certain Lift is important to the story overall.  It is just very difficult to nail down anything definitive.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:58 PM, CrazyRioter said:

the second one was just clever use of Abrasion

Yes, however that is my point.  Depending on how you choose to read the events and effects going on with Lift, one can reach almost any conclusion.  My point was to highlight just how varied opinions can be.

Let me play Devil's advocate for a moment:

On 3/15/2018 at 11:40 PM, Willshaping Crasher said:

She causes the grain in the smugglers cart to glow and flow like water (possible reference to invested sand in White Sand).

In addition: WOR I-9

"you've let yourself grow too thin." Wyndle said. "Not good. You always use up the excess......low body fat....that might be a problem."

In relation to: White Sand CH. 1

The dry mouth and eyes wer the first signs that he was getting close to doing permanent damage to himself.  The first thing a sand master learned was to keep track of his water, to pace himself so he didn't overmaster.

Are they related?  Perhaps, perhaps not.  It is up to opinion (and on a site which openly asks for theories, opinion is important).  Lift's character begs many questions and offers many blind roads as well.  To reiterate, one can attach quite a number of coincidences to her ranging from plausible to almost impossible.

In addition, her personality to the audience can range from "I love her" to "I wish she would die!"

• Chaos locked this topic