[OB] The Grand List of Characters related Questions

maxal

Throughout my time onto the 17th Shard, it has come to my notice while a lot of our discussions are character oriented, very few character related questions are being asked. I never knew if it merely were a consequence of "character oriented readers" being less numerous or less inclined to attend to one of Brandon's signing events or just pure happenstance, but I have decided to try to do something about it :)

Hence, here is the very first cohesive and coherent list of characters related questions. I wish for this thread to be a place where all readers can post any character related questions they might have. I intend to update this post with all questions being submitted in order for us to have a full list. This way, I hope, with a complete list of such questions, character oriented readers will be less shy about asking those questions to Brandon. Perhaps other readers will find one or two of those questions interesting enough to ask. Either way, my goal is propagate my love of character related discussions and to help our fandom garner more interesting answers such as to fuel or kill :ph34r: our various speculations.

Yes, I know, we have "other lists of questions to Brandon", but the greater majority of those questions aren't character related. It's also intimidating, character readers, on average, aren't likely to submit their question, thinking it is "not interesting". I know I am intimidated by it :ph34r: Hence, I thought a separate product was an interesting idea, sorry if it isn't. Maybe it'll catch on and become a big thing, maybe it'll die next week, but I thought it was worth trying.

This isn't a thread meant to discuss any theory linked to any of the questions nor to pass judgment on questions some readers might find interesting to ask. You hate Szeth and you think a question on him is wasted? Here is not the place to say so, here is the place to register the question on Rysn you feel is meaningless, but you really want to ask anyway. 

I'll start with a first list of questions based on the numerous discussions we have here. Those questions have for purpose to help our speculations and our discussions, give us additional clues and, well, satisfy my personal curiosity :ph34r: Feel free to add your own or comment on a given question's wording. Please add question with respect to other characters, this isn't the "list of Adolin related questions" :ph34r:, this is meant for all characters nor is it meant to be the "list of questions which interest Maxal".

List of Questions (Edit March 18th in Red)

Romance

1) Will Kaladin eventually have a romance arc?

2) In Oathbringer, when Kaladin states he'd rather have Shallan as a friend than a lover, was he honest with himself or was he resigning himself to her having chosen Adolin?

3) The love triangle, is it over, over?

4a) You once said the love triangle was a mimicry of something which happened in the past... Can we say Adolin is Evi and Shallan is... Dalinar? Are we on the right track or were you referring to something else entirely?

4b) You once said the love triangle was a mimicry of something which happened in the past... Is it meant to mimic the Dalinar/Navani/Gavilar former relationship? If so, how is Adolin Gavilar? They don't seem to have much in common.

5) Adolin's issues with relationships were never really broached in Oathbringer, have they disappeared simply because he met Shallan and he loves her? Or are they still existing?

6) On a scale from one to ten, how unworthy of Shallan would you rate Adolin still feels, ten being "a lot" and 0 being "not at all"?

7) Would say Shallan loves the idea of being with Adolin more than Adolin himself or would you say her love his genuine?

8) Adolin does not think about Shallan much in either WoR or OB, and he notably does not think that he loves her or tell her this (on page) before their marriage. Is Adolin in love with Shallan or is she just the "latest girl"?

9) Adolin spends a lot of time thinking and admiring Kaladin in OB. Is there any chance Adolin is gay or bisexual?

10) Is divorce permissible in Vorinism?

11) Is there birth control on Roshar?

12) Will we ever find out how Navani and Dalinar met each other? WoK says that they were friends even before Navani met Gavilar. I was sure it will be covered in flashbacks but...no.In the future books maybe? It would be nice to see actual scene.

13) Dalinar loving Navani is well explained within the narrative, but why Navani does love Dalinar isn't. If we can reason out why she may love older Dalinar, what could she possibly see into younger blood-thirsty self-centered younger Dalinar?

Unfinished Story Arcs

1) About Adolin murdering Sadeas, you once said there would be people to think what he did is totally, totally and totally wrong. However, in Oathbringer, we haven't meet anyone react negatively to either Sadeas being murdered and/or Adolin being the culprit. Is this arc over? 

2) Will Adolin ever face consequences for having murdered Sadeas or has he really gotten away with it with none?

3) You once said a character couldn't murder someone else without it leaving scars. How come Adolin has no scars for murdering Sadeas?

4) Had Dalinar really forgiven Adolin for murdering Sadeas or will this hang in between them?

5) Ialai is presented as a cunning and dangerous woman, but we have never seen her act it within the narrative. Are we going to see her again? Is she plotting revenge?

6) Did Mraize tell the truth about why he was "watching" over Ialai in Oathbringer?

7) Who will raise little Gavinor? Navani? Jasnah? Adolin/Shallan? Bridge 4?

8) Will Adolin go to Rira?

9) The Shardplace Evi stole did it belong to her family? 

10) How high ranked was Evi in Rira? 

11) Is Toh Evi's blood brother or was he acting as her brother the whole time?

11) Is the truth about how Evi died and who burned Rathalas going to be relevant to the future narrative?

12) With everyone having Kholin blood now being a Radiant, why hasn't anyone asked about Adolin being left out?

13) When Adolin starts communicating with Maya, is it because a Nahel Bond has started to form in between them or did it happen for "other reasons"?

14) You once mentioned there used to be many branched of the Kholin household, but not so much anymore. What happened to them? Did Gavilar exterminate them when he took over the princedom?

Random character questions

1) Which color are Oroden's eyes? 

2) Are we going to see Toh again?

3) Is Adolin broken? He never acts like it, but is he hiding it?

4) Had she been alive and free to bond any human of her choosing, would Maya have chosen Adolin as her knight?

5) Why did Nale decide to side with the owners of the land now instead of in the past 8 thousand years? Or even on the past 4500 years, as he has been insane for that long?

6) Why does Rock keep hiding so much of his past from Bridge 4? Its not as if they haven't all shown to have big pasts, huge things to be ashamed of and not really be who they first pretended to.

7) Rock appears very broken at the end of Oathbringer which contrasted to his state earlier within the story. Can we say he broke down when he killed Amaram or did he have a broken spirit web before?

8) How happy is Nightblood with his current holder? Why is he withholding his name? 

9a) May doesn't seem like a very Vorin name, especially for someone who is a high-ranking lighteyes. Was May Aladar's mother from a different country and if so, where? 

9b) Is there any connection between the names May Aladar and Mayalaran?

9c) How much attention should we be paying to May Aladar?

10) In Oathbringer, Elhokar died tragically. Had he survive, what would his life have looked like? Would he have learn to be a better king? Which truths would he have spoken?

11) Shallan became a Radiant at a very young age, years before she was forced to murder her mother. Knowing a broken spirit web is required to form a Nahel Bond, what caused Shallan to meet this criteria as a little girl? Is her past still hiding more tragedies than the ones we already know of?

12) Why did the Nightwatcher chose to help Dalinar? Was it because she recognize he was being groomed to become Odium's Champion and, as such, she wanted to damage his plans?

13) Can you tell us something yet untold with respect to the Dalinar/Adolin relationship?

14) Had his life evolved differently, were there any chances Adolin might have become a Blackthorn?

15) Can you spare some words on the "perfected version of himself" Adolin sees when Renarin heals his wrist?

16) Did Adolin and Elhokar have a good relationship growing up as cousins?  

17) Did Elhokar and Jasnah have a good relationship growing up?

18) We do not know much about Dalinar's parents apart from his father suffering of disillusions towards the end of his life. Can you spare some words on who they were?

19) Dalinar had two non-Stormfather visions.One at the end of WoR, in which he fees light and warmth for the first time.And second with Nohadon in Oathbringer.I'm curious if they are related?(or they come from different sources)

20) Will we learn more about the relationship between Jasnah and Amaram?

21) Will Axies play a part in the main narrative?

22) Does Mraize and Adolin read the same fashion magazines?

23) Which hand holds the needle when Aodlin sews? The right or the left?

24) What's the deal with Lin Davar's name? Dalinar thought that Renarin's name was nonsensical, but "Lin" literally means "Born into"?!

25) Maternal relatives of all prominent and some bit characters. Did Navani have siblings or cousins? Did they have children? What family is she from? Ditto first Lady Davar. Ditto Gavilar and Dalinar's mother. Ditto Hesina. Ditto Laral's mother, etc.

26) Toh - did he found a family in Herdaz? Do Adolin and Renarin have half-Herdazian cousins? Do they still have relatives in Rira?

27) Navani - how did she meet Dalinar, why was there such an age gap between her children despite the need for a male heir, what oaths did she break?

28) Gavilar - did he have mistresses? Illegitimate children? It has been implied that Gavilar exterminated a few branches of Kholins - did he also kill the women? And if not, what happened to them?

29) Aesudan - what family and Princedom did she come from, does she have any relatives, why was she considered to be a fit spouse for the heir to the throne (Elhokar indicated that he had some choice in the matter in OB), did she spend some time at the Shattered Plains in order to become pregnant? Who ruled in her absence? Or did her husband visit Kholinar at some point during the Vengeance pact?

30) Elhokar - did he have some supressed artistic inclinations as a child/youth? Did he love Aesudan, given that he didn't mind staying separated from her for years? Did he have mistresses during that time? How was his relationship with his father? His cousins?

31) Ialai's background and familial connections. What branch of scholarship or art did she specialize in?

32) Lirin - he is supposed to be from Hearthstone, why didn't he have any relatives there? Did he have (a) brother(s), who became soldier(s)? Or was it Wistiow, who used to be a soldier? How did they become friends?

33) Is Highprince Vamah the same Loredar Vamah who took over Kalanor's princedom or his son? Given that he seems to be somewhat younger than Dalinar, who was only 24 when he killed Kalanor?

34) Sebarial - how old is he? Did he inherit his position normally, unlike many of the other Highprinces? What family does he have? Is he a widower? How long has he been with Palona and do they have children?

35) Highprince Hatham - what made a Ryshadium chose him? Did he inherit his shards? His position? How old is he? Does he have children? What was the scene with the Natan noble in WoK all about? Between his wife specializing in the history of the Dawncities and his ardent very likely being a worldhopper (he used "soil" in the sense of "ground" when a Rosharan would have used "stone"), does he have some privileged knowldege? Is there any cosmeric significance to his colors being red and gold?

36) Ivis the swordmaster ardent from WoR - is she more than she seems? Why wasn't she present among the other swordmasters in OB when Dalinar visited the sparring hall?

Edited by maxal

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] The Grand List of Characters related Questions
1 hour ago, RShara said:

4 I saw it as echoing Dalinar, Gavilar, and Navani 

Yeah, this is a popular one, but I felt latest discussion geared more towards the Evi/Dalinar relationship. I'll add it though, it is a good one. 

• Why did Nale decide to side with the owners of the land now instead of in the past 8 thousand years? Or even on the past 4500 years, as he has been insane for that long?
  • Why does Rock keep hiding so much of his past from Bridge 4? Its not as if they haven't all shown to have big pasts, huge things to be ashamed of and not really be who they first pretended to.
  • How happy is Nightblood with his current holder? Why is he withholding his name? 

Guest Procrastinationspren

Love these questions. Sometimes I get frustrated with the kind of questions that people ask Brandon, specially knowing that I'll probably never have that opportunity. Don't get me wrong, realmatics is interesting and all, but I would rather know the answer to any of these questions than to know what would happen if an feruchemist stored his hair growing ability in a shardblade or something.

11 minutes ago, Procrastinationspren said:

Love these questions. Sometimes I get frustrated with the kind of questions that people ask Brandon, specially knowing that I'll probably never have that opportunity. Don't get me wrong, realmatics is interesting and all, but I would rather know the answer to any of these questions than to know what would happen if an feruchemist stored his hair growing ability in a shardblade or something.

I think the issue is that we're much more likely to get answers to how the Cosmere works, than to specific plot questions. By understanding how the Cosmere works, we can sometimes guess what's going to happen (at least in the broad sense).

14 hours ago, Song said:

Can someone put the WoB about the love triangle? I would be curious to see.

Great questions, though I suspect many would be RAFOs, given how much of the coming story rests on the answers.

I think people are too afraid of RAFO... A RAFO can sometimes be a very interesting answer. For instance, when someone asked if Shallan would eventually visit Scadrial, the RAFO Brandon gave us sounded a lot like a YES, but not so soon. So while it is true some of those questions might get a RAFO, I'd love to point out character related questions, on average, almost never get RAFO. 

Readers just don't ask them often enough, but the few we have have done wonder for our speculations. Need I recall everyone how we found out Adolin's Blade was an Edgedancer Blade throughout WoB? How we found out it was possible to revive Maya via another WoB? How Kaladin's grand-parents being lighteyed was also given away as a WoB?

One thing is certain thought, if no one asks character related questions, we will never get any answers.

10 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:
  • Why did Nale decide to side with the owners of the land now instead of in the past 8 thousand years? Or even on the past 4500 years, as he has been insane for that long?
  • Why does Rock keep hiding so much of his past from Bridge 4? Its not as if they haven't all shown to have big pasts, huge things to be ashamed of and not really be who they first pretended to.
  • How happy is Nightblood with his current holder? Why is he withholding his name? 

Good questions. It makes me think of an additional one on Rock.

4 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

May doesn't seem like a very Vorin name, especially for someone who is a high-ranking lighteyes. Was May Aladar's mother from a different country and if so, where? 

Maybe there is a glyph which says" Mam"? Good question though.

2 hours ago, Procrastinationspren said:

This is why I started this topic :) I thought if we made a great list, then readers would perhaps be more inclined to pick those questions. I personally do not find most realmatic questions to be interesting for speculation purposes, they rarely tell me something I actually cared to know. Talking to a few people, I realized others felt the same, hence the list. Hopefully it'll catch on.

2 hours ago, Govir said:

I think the issue is that we're much more likely to get answers to how the Cosmere works, than to specific plot questions. By understanding how the Cosmere works, we can sometimes guess what's going to happen (at least in the broad sense).

I don't think so... I feel there are more RAFO with realmatic questions than there are for character related questions... Often, readers ask questions so precise, Brandon does not even have an answer, but he ought to be able to tell us if Maya would have picked Adolin under normal circumstances.

As I said above, I've rarely seen character related questions getting RAFOed not to say it never happens, but it also happens for a non negligible chunk of Cosmere related questions. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:34 PM, maxal said:

9) The Shardplace Evi stole did it belong to her family? 

12) With everyone having Kholin blood now being a Radiant, why hasn't anyone asked about Adolin being left?

1) Which color are Oroden's eyes?

So many RAFOs! Most of these peak curiosity but we know we have to wait for the future books.

9) I think we know the answer here to already be a 'yes' since Navani indicated blood ties to Evi were required to make a claim to Adolins plate. 

12) Is this a question to be asked and discussed? It just means he lacks qualities that would attract a spren.

1) Too dark to matter. Brown I'm sure.

11 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

- This one is answered in story. It's because he was a champion of Honor. Odium defeated Honor and gained the right of conquest during the 4500 year period:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_conquest

Nale could ignore Odium and the Fuzed because they weren't in a position to establish new laws, and many here believe that Nale worked so hard to prevent a new Desolation because he had no desire to honor that right.

- Different strokes for different folks. Sigzil only just admitted to failing his exams in Azir and we still don't know who he attempted to murder and why.

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

So many RAFOs! Most of these peak curiosity but we know we have to wait for the future books.

Not necessarily... Everything with respect to Evi might be a Red Herring, it might not be important and, as such, it may be something Brandon will allow to slip. I agree the Plate question is probably going to be a RAFO, but a RAFO remains interesting, it means we should be asking this question. It means we may be right to theorize on that. I do agree Navani's comment seem to indicate the Plate probably belonged to family, but if this is the case, then why were Evi/Toh running away? Why is it said they stole it? So many questions here... if we ask carefully, we might get a really good answer.

I do think 12) is a very valid question to ask and I would love to hear what Brandon has to say on the matter. You say it is "obvious" because he lacks the required qualities. I strongly disagree Adolin has NO qualities ANY spren wouldn't want. Take Elhokar, what extraordinary qualities did he possess to justify his Nahel Bond? The only selfless action he ever did was when he saved his son and voiced out his first ideal, but by this time, he had already attracted a spren... Hence, he must have been deemed suitable. Why him? Why not Adolin? What makes Renarin SO suitable? He doesn't try to be good at anything until he is well advanced with his bond: what did he do so outstanding which attracted Glys? See my point, it is absolutely not obvious why anyone was picked over anyone. We get Renarin/Elhokar/Jasnah were all probably chosen because they are Kholins, so why did sprens skip Adolin? This is absolutely not self-evident nor is it explained within the narrative. I personally love this question.

About Oroden, probably dark, but the fact Hesina's parents were lighteyed makes the question interesting.

1 hour ago, digitalbusker said:

Why is Moash?

I am not sure I understand the question...

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Not necessarily... Everything with respect to Evi might be a Red Herring, it might not be important and, as such, it may be something Brandon will allow to slip. I agree the Plate question is probably going to be a RAFO, but a RAFO remains interesting, it means we should be asking this question. It means we may be right to theorize on that. I do agree Navani's comment seem to indicate the Plate probably belonged to family, but if this is the case, then why were Evi/Toh running away? Why is it said they stole it? So many questions here... if we ask carefully, we might get a really good answer.

I do think 12) is a very valid question to ask and I would love to hear what Brandon has to say on the matter. You say it is "obvious" because he lacks the required qualities. I strongly disagree Adolin has NO qualities ANY spren wouldn't want. Take Elhokar, what extraordinary qualities did he possess to justify his Nahel Bond? The only selfless action he ever did was when he saved his son and voiced out his first ideal, but by this time, he had already attracted a spren... Hence, he must have been deemed suitable. Why him? Why not Adolin? What makes Renarin SO suitable? He doesn't try to be good at anything until he is well advanced with his bond: what did he do so outstanding which attracted Glys? See my point, it is absolutely not obvious why anyone was picked over anyone. We get Renarin/Elhokar/Jasnah were all probably chosen because they are Kholins, so why did sprens skip Adolin? This is absolutely not self-evident nor is it explained within the narrative. I personally love this question.

About Oroden, probably dark, but the fact Hesina's parents were lighteyed makes the question interesting.

I am not sure I understand the question...

Lol, I meant that the vast majority of the questions asked are ones that will be answered in the future. Will this come into play later? We'll get there when we get there. Though yes you never know what Brandon will reveal during random Q/A sessions.

When Oathbringer is released (in world) I fully expect us to get more on Evi....Dalinar announcing to the world that his actions led to her death is going to generate discussion.

Do address those questions again:

- I believe we're told that Shardbearers selling shards to another nation could be considered as treason. I'm sure Evi and co are being branded criminals/traitors so Iri (or whoever) has an easier time retrieving them.

- I know that you personally care. I thought you were referring to in world chatter though the answer is the same regardless. If he hasn't become Radiant its because their aren't any spren who care to bond with him. It doesn't mean that he's boring or unimportant or what have you, it just means that he isn't the right type for those spren that are searching. It really isn't more complicated than that. Just like not every Bridge 4 original will become a Windrunner despite a large number of Honorspren actively scouting through their ranks, Adolin maynot become Radiant despite his familial ties. He might not even have the right spirit to form a proper nahel bond.

- eh, I feel like if Oroden was spontaneously born with light eyes, Kal would have noticed but sure, okay.

Edited by Nymeros

Can we add some questions about Elhokar? I feel like with maybe the exception of Jasnah's flashback, we aren't going to get more of his story. So I would love to hear Brandon's take on what his truths might have been and whether he could have been a good king.

The question id like to know the answer to is - what really "broke" or "cracked" shallan, because even in WoR, her flashback book, we didnt discover that, 

Also - is the reason it was culivation and not the nightwatcher who "helped" Dalinar because she sensed he was being groomed as odiums champion and seen the opportunity to severely damage Odiums plans, by taking away hes "ace in the hole".

Sorry if they have been asked and answered

18 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Lol, I meant that the vast majority of the questions asked are ones that will be answered in the future. Will this come into play later? We'll get there when we get there. Though yes you never know what Brandon will reveal during random Q/A sessions.

When Oathbringer is released (in world) I fully expect us to get more on Evi....Dalinar announcing to the world that his actions led to her death is going to generate discussion.

I do not expect all of these questions to be answered within the future. For instance, the Ialai question might give us an indication if Brandon has future plans for her character or if we have seen the last of her. This is definitely one I feel he would answer and would definitely steer our discussions.  

Questions on the romance should be answered as well... For instance, if the love triangle is definitely over and if Brandon believes he has written an ending for it in OB, he should be inclined to answer it. A RAFO however might mean more development. All questions with respect to how Adolin feels should also be answered because those elements have already happened: we just never got to read them in the book.

Evi's death is an event I believe could become important or a Red Herring. It might be another "Kaladin murdered Helaran" story arc where it is being made public, but forgotten immediately. An answer to this question might help us figure out which one it will be.

18 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Do address those questions again:

- I believe we're told that Shardbearers selling shards to another nation could be considered as treason. I'm sure Evi and co are being branded criminals/traitors so Iri (or whoever) has an easier time retrieving them.

- I know that you personally care. I thought you were referring to in world chatter though the answer is the same regardless. If he hasn't become Radiant its because their aren't any spren who care to bond with him. It doesn't mean that he's boring or unimportant or what have you, it just means that he isn't the right type for those spren that are searching. It really isn't more complicated than that. Just like not every Bridge 4 original will become a Windrunner despite a large number of Honorspren actively scouting through their ranks, Adolin maynot become Radiant despite his familial ties. He might not even have the right spirit to form a proper nahel bond.

- eh, I feel like if Oroden was spontaneously born with light eyes, Kal would have noticed but sure, okay.

What do you mean? Do you want me to add more questions or to rephrase the ones I have put in? I am not sure by the wording you are using... 

I do feel there is much else to say about Evi's Plate, but this too could be one of those story arcs falling into the cracks. If I am right and it does fall into the cracks, then Brandon might answer us and give us more insights.

The question about Adolin not being made a Radiant despite being a Kholin is very relevant. Readers are basically split on the question and it is not well-explained into the narrative. We are left trying to guess and it'd be nice to stop guessing. My impressions of Radiancy is it remains more a matter of luck than of being "the right type". The Kholins were picked not because they are more outstanding than others, but because they are standing at the center of events and they have a lot of agency. I wish to have more insight as to why sprens chose EVERY Kholin but Adolin. Is it a matter of all sprens not finding him suitable? Of a non-broken spirit? Brandon ought to be give better clues, if asked.

I agree Oroden's eyes are most likely dark, but it seems pointless to have Hesina's parents being lighteyed if none of her children is inheriting at least one lighteye.

9 hours ago, Song said:

Can we add some questions about Elhokar? I feel like with maybe the exception of Jasnah's flashback, we aren't going to get more of his story. So I would love to hear Brandon's take on what his truths might have been and whether he could have been a good king.

Brandon recently said his initial plans, for Elhokar, were to have him turn bad and have Dalinar being forced to kill him. He's been doomed from the start. I will however add a speculative question as to how he might have grown, had he not die in Kholinar.

I like this list.  Great idea @maxal.  A couple questions/additions of mine:

• Adolin spends a lot of time thinking about and admiring Kaladin in OB.  Is there any chance Adolin is gay or bisexual?
  • 8)  Adolin does not think about Shallan much in either WoR or OB, and he notably does not think that he loves her or tell her this (on page) before their marriage. Is Adolin in love with Shallan or is she just the "latest girl"?
  • Is divorce permissible in Vorinism?
  • Is there birth control on Roshar?
  • Following up on May question (and kind of silly): Is there any connection between the names May Aladar and Mayalaran?  They are close to identical.

I'm super curious about Kholin: The Wonder Years.  We know Dalinar's repuation and then decline must have strained things between Adolin and Elhokar.  Plus we know something sketchy happened with Jasnah as a child.

Did Adolin and Elhokar have a good relationship growing up as cousins?  

Did Elhokar and Jasnah have a good relationship growing up?

2 hours ago, Dreamstorm said:

I like this list.  Great idea @maxal.  A couple questions/additions of mine:

• Adolin spends a lot of time thinking about and admiring Kaladin in OB.  Is there any chance Adolin is gay or bisexual?
  • 8)  Adolin does not think about Shallan much in either WoR or OB, and he notably does not think that he loves her or tell her this (on page) before their marriage. Is Adolin in love with Shallan or is she just the "latest girl"?
  • Is divorce permissible in Vorinism?
  • Is there birth control on Roshar?
  • Following up on May question (and kind of silly): Is there any connection between the names May Aladar and Mayalaran?  They are close to identical.

I knew someone would ask about the sexuality question... I put it in the "romance" section :ph34r: Good update on question 8), it makes it more precise. 

I have just thought of another question about May Aladar :ph34r: How much attention should we be paying to May Aladar?

2 hours ago, Zellyia said:

I'm super curious about Kholin: The Wonder Years.  We know Dalinar's repuation and then decline must have strained things between Adolin and Elhokar.  Plus we know something sketchy happened with Jasnah as a child.

Did Adolin and Elhokar have a good relationship growing up as cousins?  

Did Elhokar and Jasnah have a good relationship growing up?

I added your two questions. I think we have somewhat of an answer about the Jasnah/Elhokar one.

cyddenid

How well do Elhokar and Jasnah get on?

Brandon Sanderson

Fine, I would say. This is a bit of a spoiler for the end of Words of Radiance, but you will eventually see that they're the sort of siblings who are both used to doing their own thing and getting their own way. They've both learned to stay out of one another's business. That said, Elhokar is also used to being surrounded by domineering people of various sorts. So having a domineering sister is really nothing different to him.

1 hour ago, Greywatch said:

You know what? I'm really curious about Dalinar's parents. I want to know anything about them. What kind of people were they?

Hmmm it makes me think of those "other branches of the Kholin families" which are "less numerous" than they were... I want to ask of Gavilar killed them all :ph34r:

Dalinar had two non-Stormfather visions.One at the end of WoR, in which he fees light and warmth for the first time.And second with Nohadon in Oathbringer.I'm curious if they are related?(or they come from different sources)

+

Will we ever find out how Navani and Dalinar met each other? WoK says that they were friends even before Navani met Gavilar. I was sure it will be covered in flashbacks but...no.In the future books maybe?It would be nice to see actual scene.

Edited by LerasiumMistborn

This thread was an excellent idea, @maxal! Let me add a heap of questions, largely about minor characters:

What's the deal with Lin Davar's name? Dalinar thought that Renarin's name was nonsensical, but "Lin" literally means "Born into"?!

Maternal relatives of all prominent and some bit characters. Did Navani have siblings or cousins? Did they have children? What family is she from? Ditto first Lady Davar. Ditto Gavilar and Dalinar's mother. Ditto Hesina. Ditto Laral's mother, etc.

Toh - did he found a family in Herdaz? Do Adolin and Renarin have half-Herdazian cousins? Do they still have relatives in Rira?

Navani - how did she meet Dalinar, why was there such an age gap between her children despite the need for a male heir, what oaths did she break?

Gavilar - did he have mistresses? Illegitimate children? It has been implied that Gavilar exterminated a few branches of Kholins - did he also kill the women? And if not, what happened to them?

Aesudan - what family and Princedom did she come from, does she have any relatives, why was she considered to be a fit spouse for the heir to the throne (Elhokar indicated that he had some choice in the matter in OB), did she spend some time at the Shattered Plains in order to become pregnant? Who ruled in her absence? Or did her husband visit Kholinar at some point during the Vengeance pact?

Elhokar - did he have some supressed artistic inclinations as a child/youth? Did he love Aesudan, given that he didn't mind staying separated from her for years? Did he have mistresses during that time? How was his relationship with his father? His cousins?

Ialai's background and familial connections. What branch of scholarship or art did she specialize in?

Lirin - he is supposed to be from Hearthstone, why didn't he have any relatives there? Did he have (a) brother(s), who became soldier(s)? Or was it Wistiow, who used to be a soldier? How did they become friends?

Is Highprince Vamah the same Loredar Vamah who took over Kalanor's princedom or his son? Given that he seems to be somewhat younger than Dalinar, who was only 24 when he killed Kalanor?

Sebarial - how old is he? Did he inherit his position normally, unlike many of the other Highprinces? What family does he have? Is he a widower? How long has he been with Palona and do they have children?

Highprince Hatham - what made a Ryshadium chose him? Did he inherit his shards? His position? How old is he? Does he have children? What was the scene with the Natan noble in WoK all about? Between his wife specializing in the history of the Dawncities and his ardent very likely being a worldhopper (he used "soil" in the sense of "ground" when a Rosharan would have used "stone"), does he have some privileged knowldege? Is there any cosmeric significance to his colors being red and gold?

Ivis the swordmaster ardent from WoR - is she more than she seems? Why wasn't she present among the other swordmasters in OB when Dalinar visited the sparring hall?