Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

42 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Does Hoids ability to target a shard only reduce the number of charges required for that night like it says or does it reduce it for longer? If it only reduces it by 1 why wouldnt he just take a charge wouldnt that do the same thing plus he actually gets something?

If hoid had three shards at once could he use the action to merge all three?

Since Hoid isn't a researcher, he can't steal investiture. His only option is his ability.

It takes one action to merge 2 shards. If Hoid had 2 actions available, he could use the first action to fuse 2 Shards and a second action to fuse the newly created Shard with his 3rd shard.

Just now, Seonid said:

Since Hoid isn't a researcher, he can't steal investiture. His only option is his ability.

It takes one action to merge 2 shards. If Hoid had 2 actions available, he could use the first action to fuse 2 Shards and a second action to fuse the newly created Shard with his 3rd shard.

gotcha thanks

I’ll just go ahead and name my character Darrel, a well-to-do merchant from Silverlight who sells Invested objects at exorbitant prices.

A few questions, after rereading the rules:

If a Shard is passed to a new Vessel, will the “overriding Intent timer” (that’s the best name I could think of) be reset?

Can Hoid’s or Khrissala’s win conditions or alignment change as a result of the Intent overriding? What about ordinary members of Adonalsium’s Chosen/Standard of Harmony?

If multiple Shards are held by the same person, could they have two win conditions if both Intents overrided simultaneously?

Will there be special win cons for the individual Fused Shards when their Intent overrides the player? Or will the effects be the same as if they held multiple Shards?

Being invested by a Shard is different than having investiture from a Shard, correct? The first gives you a new role, but the second only lets you take an action and use a power? Just want to be clear. Also, does being Invested by a Shard produce any special effect if you burn a charge of that Shard’s investiture? 

Do Hoid and Khrissala’s conversions still fail if they target a Shattered Shard?

Sorry for the long list. Probably could have simplified the first four to “describe Intent overriding in more detail,” but oh well. Thanks for running this!

Ooo.  I can never pass up a Shard game. :D I’ve been saving some RP just for this.

Somewhere, in a far away town, at the end of a road, there lay the remains of a once great mansion, a once magnificent house.  It had crumbled some time ago, and it’s ruins marred the landscape, a dark spot on the otherwise lovely hill it sat upon.  There were timbers askew, old stones and twisted iron strewn across it’s now unkempt lawn, and moss now grew upon the rotting wood and broken stone. 

But there was a stirring among the timbers.  Something was shifting in the rubble.  Crumbling stones and old wood tumbled down and broke apart, as some thing broke it’s way through the wreckage.  A pale, nearly translucent hand, flecked with bits of dust, particles of grime, remnants of the wreckage it had clawed itself from, broke through the rotting wood.  It clawed at the air, reaching about, till it found a hold.  The rubble shifted, and slowly the creature pulled itself out.  

The creature was bald, it’s whole body made of the same odd, nearly clear substance.  It was humanoid, although only in the crudest sense of the word;  It’s body was constantly shifting, twisting slightly, as though the creature was not quite stable, or was, in some way, having trouble holding itself together.  It’s back was grossly bent, almost like it’s spine had been snapped, and it’s face was like melted wax, lacking the normal distinction of human features.

The thing crawled down off the ruins of the house on the hill, making its way in the direction of a town, not too far from the house…

… several hours later, a man, in one of the houses in that town, thought he heard his door opening.  Soon, he heard what seemed like footsteps, along with an odd scraping, crawling sound.  He frowned, wondering who could be coming to see him at this hour.  It was after dark now, and the man had been getting ready for a peaceful nights sleep, after a long day.  Instead, upon turning around, he was greeted by a huge, translucent creature, it’s melted-wax face split across the middle, huge, knife-like teeth seemingly materializing in it’s mouth.  Moments later, a scream echoed out from the house.  Some time after that, the man who owned it died.

Soon, a tall, dark-skinned man, his body covered in swirling maroon tattoos, walked out of the house, adjusting his clothes, with a satisfied smile on his face.

Moro is joining the game.

Rp on how he got to Silverlight to come.  :P I feel like that’s probably important, and I made this RP before I knew we were starting on Silverlight.  :P 

1 hour ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Can Hoid’s or Khrissala’s win conditions or alignment change as a result of the Intent overriding? What about ordinary members of Adonalsium’s Chosen/Standard of Harmony?

Since both khriss and hoid have this description

As the leader of your faction, you are immune to alignment or win condition change,

I think they are immune though, I bet that their subordinates are not. Though @Seonid do Hoids and khriss's shard target abiulities have a chance of claiming a shard if it is released that turn?

@Magestarwe are starting RP already huh :) Prepare for some willie RP then haha

2 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

@Magestarwe are starting RP already huh :) Prepare for some willie RP then haha

I've just had that prepared for a while, lol.  I've known which character I wanted to use for the next shard game for quite a bit. :P 

In reality, I'm not much of an RPer, but I occasionally try to keep up. :P 

On 3/8/2018 at 4:09 PM, Fifth Scholar said:

I’ll just go ahead and name my character Darrel, a well-to-do merchant from Silverlight who sells Invested objects at exorbitant prices.

A few questions, after rereading the rules:

If a Shard is passed to a new Vessel, will the “overriding Intent timer” (that’s the best name I could think of) be reset?

If multiple Shards are held by the same person, could they have two win conditions if both Intents overrided simultaneously?

Will there be special win cons for the individual Fused Shards when their Intent overrides the player? Or will the effects be the same as if they held multiple Shards?

Being invested by a Shard is different than having investiture from a Shard, correct? The first gives you a new role, but the second only lets you take an action and use a power? Just want to be clear. Also, does being Invested by a Shard produce any special effect if you burn a charge of that Shard’s investiture? 

Do Hoid and Khrissala’s conversions still fail if they target a Shattered Shard?

Sorry for the long list. Probably could have simplified the first four to “describe Intent overriding in more detail,” but oh well. Thanks for running this!

If a Shard is passed to a new vessel, the timer is indeed reset. However, if you pass the Shard after you have changed alignments, your win con does not go back to the original one.

Hoid and Khriss are immune to conversions. Their followers are not necessarily.

If a player changes alignment as a result of overusing a Shard's power, they become immune to further alignment changes until they no longer hold the Shard that changed their alignment. If they hold 2 shards and would be overridden simultaneously, only one alignment change will happen. Which one goes through will be determined by how long they have held each Shard. If that does not suffice to distinguish, the Shard that changes the alignment will be chosen at random.

If a player holds a Fused Shard and has their alignment changed, they will gain both win cons if they do not conflict with each other. If the win cons would conflict with each other, then their alignment does not change.

You are correct about the difference between being invested by a Shard and having investiture from that Shard. There are no special effects for burning the investiture of a Shard that has invested in you.

Shattered Shards are not immune to conversions like full Shards are.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, MonsterMetroid said:

Though @Seonid do Hoids and khriss's shard target abiulities have a chance of claiming a shard if it is released that turn?

Both Hoid and Khriss's abilities put them on the list of potential recipients of a released Shard.

18 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

I'm considering joining. This would be my first shard game, and I don't know how my schedule will be over the next few weeks. 

I hope your schedule ends up working out for this! We'd love to have you.

Somewhere on a vast world, a world filled with color and light, a being named Moro was running.  He had been running for several days, stopping only briefly in the towns he passed, never for too long.  There had been a person reported missing in the first town he had stopped in, not long after he stopped there, as well as the second, though the other towns had only seen some livestock disappear; a horse, a dog, a cow.  Moro was still running.  If any had seen his face, they would have seen the face of a man on a mission, a man racing against time.  Moro had already been gone too long, if any had asked him; that house that he had become trapped in had cost him more time than he had been willing to part with.

After many days of travel, many towns which mysteriously lost portions of their animal populations, and many, many miles, Moro was nearing his destination.  He had entered a forest, filled with brilliant flowers and foliage.  If any had been watching, they might have seen him look around, cautiously, before disappearing into a deeper section of the forest.  They may have seen him enter a cave, travel down, down, to a pool deep beneath the forests surface.  And if any had been there to watch, they might have seen him leap into the pool.

And they would have seen him disappear. 

Some days later, on another planet, far from the first, where many beings gathered to learn and discuss the nature of the universe, there were many beings around to see when Moro reappeared, materializing out of another, very different pool.  Some eyed him warily, some ignored him, and most looked him over carefully, before looking away.  But none greeted him.  There was a sense of danger, of barely contained tension, thinly veiled unrest, lying thick upon the air.  One could almost taste it.

Moro stood there for a moment, before hastily departing, striding quickly through the crowd.

Bam.  Moro's on Silverlight. :P  *hits staples button*

A couple questions...

Can a Vessel of a shard use the investiture abilities of that shard?  As in, while you are the Vessel of a shard, do you have access to an infinite number of charges of investiture from that shard?  Can you burn those investiture charges while you're a Vessel?  

Can you burn charges of investiture from another shard while you're a Vessel?  

Just to clarify, a shard that is not in containment cannot have investiture stolen from it, right?

Sorry if some of these have already been asked and/or are stupid questions. :P I did try to make sure they hadn't been asked yet, and that I read the rules thoroughly before asking them. :P  

8 hours ago, Magestar said:

A couple questions...

Can a Vessel of a shard use the investiture abilities of that shard?  As in, while you are the Vessel of a shard, do you have access to an infinite number of charges of investiture from that shard?  Can you burn those investiture charges while you're a Vessel?  

Can you burn charges of investiture from another shard while you're a Vessel?  

Just to clarify, a shard that is not in containment cannot have investiture stolen from it, right?

Sorry if some of these have already been asked and/or are stupid questions. :P I did try to make sure they hadn't been asked yet, and that I read the rules thoroughly before asking them. :P  

Good questions:

No, a Vessel does not have access to charges of investiture from the Shard they hold.

While a Shard is out of containment, charges of investiture cannot be taken from it by any means except the Hemalurgist ability. The only other way to get new charges of investiture from a Shard that has been released from containment is to trade charges on Roshar.

You can always burn charges of investiture you possess, even if you are a Vessel.

Sam Taswell knew peace couldn't last. He had seen it shatter, seen his bones ripped to shreds. He had come back. His thoughts were slow now, broken, halting, stagnant. He was a lookout. He was dead. He had come back. Sam Taswell knew peace couldn't last. He had seen it shatter. His thoughts were slow, repeating, broken, halting. He was a lookout. He would keep watch. The Shards. They were all that mattered. He had seen them shatter. He was dead. He had come back. He would keep watch.

I will be signing up for my first game! I have read a good amount of previous games, so hopefully I will do okay.

Now, some strategy. I think it is in the interest of every single faction to free the shards. The village will statistically get the shard the most often, and if the village controls most of the shards, they will have a HUGE advantage. They will probably set up shard groups were they cycle around the shards to prevent corruption. As long as the village controlls one shard, Khriss and co can't win. The other two factions will go after the shards as well because they cannot win otherwise. Also, @Seonid, Have you actually come up with the powers of every single possible combination shard? Because I know that it will be my personal goal to discover as many as possible :P

EDIT: and my goal to see what happens if Ruin destroys all the planets. By the way, can Ruin even destroy Silverlight, as it isn't really a planet?

Edited by TheYoungPyromancer

20 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I will be signing up for my first game! I have read a good amount of previous games, so hopefully I will do okay.

Now, some strategy. I think it is in the interest of every single faction to free the shards. The village will statistically get the shard the most often, and if the village controls most of the shards, they will have a HUGE advantage. They will probably set up shard groups were they cycle around the shards to prevent corruption. As long as the village controlls one shard, Khriss and co can't win. The other two factions will go after the shards as well because they cannot win otherwise. Also, @Seonid, Have you actually come up with the powers of every single possible combination shard? Because I know that it will be my personal goal to discover as many as possible :P

EDIT: and my goal to see what happens if Ruin destroys all the planets. By the way, can Ruin even destroy Silverlight, as it isn't really a planet?

Let me be the first to welcome you to SE. Starting on a Shard game is certainly going to make for an interesting experience... :P

Unless I've misread the rules, this is a faction game, and therefore there is no 'village'? It's quite possible I've got this wrong, though - Seonid's changed the rules around, so I haven't quite processed all the rules yet. :P

24 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Welcome to our bloody and murderously friendly community!:P

17 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

Let me be the first to welcome you to SE. Starting on a Shard game is certainly going to make for an interesting experience... :P

Unless I've misread the rules, this is a faction game, and therefore there is no 'village'? It's quite possible I've got this wrong, though - Seonid's changed the rules around, so I haven't quite processed all the rules yet. :P

15 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Welcome to our bloody and murderously friendly community!:P

Thank you for the warm welcome. Young Bard, if I understood the rules, The 17th shard is a village faction, and the other two factions will be "eliminators".  However, since those two factions are in direct competition with each other, there will probably be a lower percentage of villagers then normal. I will reread that part.

On 3/8/2018 at 0:14 AM, Seonid said:

Shards of Adonalsium:

Hide contents

Cultivation - A player who burns a charge of Devotion’s investiture may use their action during either Turn to create a PM with another player on the same world as they are.

I found a typo! I double-posted because it wouldn't let me edit in a quote.

Edited by TheYoungPyromancer
underlined typo

59 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

By the way, can Ruin even destroy Silverlight, as it isn't really a planet?

Seonid has confirmed that Ruin can destroy Silverlight.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, Seonid said:

If Ruin destroys Silverlight, contained Shards move to random Shardworlds. They remain in containment, and any player that can target a contained Shard with an ability can use that ability to target any Shard that is on the same Shardworld they are. (So, basically, any Silverlight only abilities become "anywhere with a contained Shard" abilities.)

1 hour ago, Young Bard said:

Starting on a Shard game is certainly going to make for an interesting experience... :P

I mean, I started LG29, which was more than interesting. It was FUN!

1 hour ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Young Bard, if I understood the rules, The 17th shard is a village faction, and the other two factions will be "eliminators".  However, since those two factions are in direct competition with each other, there will probably be a lower percentage of villagers then normal. I will reread that part.

That's how I read it, and Welcome to the game!