Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

2 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

What strategy works better than bribes?

Threats, guilt, theft, logic, legal action, tricking-me-into-adopting-them-than-killing-me, or time travel. Bribes are pretty low down on the totem pole.

And feel free. I have already learned that the game is over, and i have received the names of both Hoid and Khriss.

I know that Stick is Cultivation, i was going to shatter her, but Fifth saved her.

Wow.  I leave for a day, and like, everything happens. :P  I admit, I did not expect that to be a game-ending win condition.  I can't wait to see the after game discussion on this one.

And it looks like my world doc got super active after I left too.

On another note, Preservation is mine.

Ain't nobody getting that.

Hey, now I have two. :P  Ok, one isn't mint condition, but still.

So, unlike most people thought in thread, we actually had at least 3 different holders of Ruin. I was #2. The last action Metroid sent in was to destroy Silverlight, but it was Ruin #1 who destroyed Braize. After everyone decided that Ruin was totes evil, I decided I had enough of it and passed it to Devotary. I'm really curious who Ruin #1 was. I wasn't exactly bluffing that last cycle, since I had Preservation investiture and I was no longer Ruin. Still, I couldn't blame everyone for thinking I was Ruin, since I had been the one to destroy Silverlight.

Ruin #1 was Megasif.

35 minutes ago, Magestar said:

On another note, Preservation is mine.

Ain't nobody getting that.

Hey, now I have two. :P  Ok, one isn't mint condition, but still.

You don't really need two copies of Preservation, do you? I can trade you a charge of Preservation's Investiture for the old one.

4 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

Came to vote on what would've been a night turn?:P 

:P

1 hour ago, RippleGylf said:

So, unlike most people thought in thread, we actually had at least 3 different holders of Ruin. I was #2. The last action Metroid sent in was to destroy Silverlight, but it was Ruin #1 who destroyed Braize. After everyone decided that Ruin was totes evil, I decided I had enough of it and passed it to Devotary. I'm really curious who Ruin #1 was. I wasn't exactly bluffing that last cycle, since I had Preservation investiture and I was no longer Ruin. Still, I couldn't blame everyone for thinking I was Ruin, since I had been the one to destroy Silverlight.

lol MM went all out on silverlight eh?

54 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Ruin #1 was Megasif.

You don't really need two copies of Preservation, do you? I can trade you a charge of Preservation's Investiture for the old one.

Why does DoS know everything!!??

3 minutes ago, Megasif said:

You're supposed to be the fastest man alive...

I've also been exceedingly busy and lazy! I was hoping to finally get my RP done over Easter break. darn it. 
On the upside, this does mean I could continue the RP for another day. I advanced it to a point where I could just save the narrative... hmmm

7 hours ago, Arinian said:

I think no one just expected that Shards win con will be game ending. My win con was all Shards unshattered(Joe ruined my win con :wacko:) at the end of the game, also who roleblocked me  on previous cycle? It was you HH?

I figured it was either you or Stick.

Aftermath: Freedom?

The mob formed outside of Everen’s dorm. Shovels and crowbars waved above their heads, accompanied by laser drills and plasma cutters. The crowd pulsed dangerously.

A shield of black mist flickered to life, enclosing the dorm.

“Storm you, you Ruin-holder!” someone yelled. “It’s all your fault!”

As far as rallying cries went, it wasn’t the best. But the mob was in this for blood, and they didn’t care much whose blood it was. With a roar, they surged forth and attacked the dorm with everything they got.

Shovels and crowbars slammed against the shield, while laser drills and plasma burned holes into it. A tomato sailed the mist, and disappeared. The mob fought and kicked and screamed and punched the surprisingly solid barrier of mist.

But no matter what they did, they couldn’t get through.

---------------------

A few miles away, Everen sat in a table booth, eating a bowl full of Scadrialan noodeln. It was cheap and greasy, slathered with a too-salty sauce, but he didn’t seem to mind. He shovelled it into his mouth with a greed unbecoming of his persona here, but what the hell, nobody was around to judge, and these were Scadrialan instant noodeln.

Well, there was Elaria, who sat across from him with a small, lined notebook open in front of her. Unlike Everen, she hadn’t ordered anything. “You said you had important business here, yes?”

Everen slurped his noodeln loudly. “Yup. Eating these noodles.”

“What,” Elaria said flatly. “You said you had something important to do here.”

“I did,” Everen said. “This might be one of the last opportunities to eat instant noodles here before it closes. You should order something.”

Elaria pressed her hands to her forehead and sighed. “No,” she said. “I won’t.”

Everen shook his head at her stubbornness, if she wanted to discriminate against the food here because of preconceived notions, well, that was her loss. He slurped the noodeln again. Then he pushed the bowl of noodles to the side, along with this one indulgence of childlike glee, and turned his face serious. Time for business.

“Recovering from Jeral’s death will be tricky,” he said. “We don’t really have advantages, save an assortment of miscellaneous Investiture.”

“Nope,” Elaria affirmed. She looked down at her notebook. “I got an interesting message lately, set up by Cultivation. We could use that to…” she continued speaking.

Funny, wasn’t it, how people responded so differently to different masks on the same person. The same core inside, but expressed in very different ways. Elaria was comfortable with him as employer and co-conspirator, less so with him as a lover of terrible quality noodeln. Everen smiled at the thought of how she would have dealt with some of his other identities in the past.

Another pair slid into the booth, Elereod and Willie. Willie looked uneasily at Elereod’s shadow, which pointed the wrong way.

“Khrissala, old friend, good to see you here,” Everen said.

“Hoid,” Elereod acknowledged. “Good to see you too.”

Elaria and Willie glanced at each other in surprise, then away.

“Have you thought about what I said?” asked Everen.

Elereod shook his head. “Everybody who takes up a Shard goes power-hungry at some point, Hoid. I don’t see how it would be any different with the holder of Adonalsium.” He paused, and for a moment Hoid thought he could see her wistful face under the illusion. “I wish things could be different, but no. I can’t join you.”

“A shame, then,” Everen said softly. “You’ll believe it when you see it.”

The two friends and their co-conspirators chatted late into the evening.

---------------------------------

Across a half dozen different worlds, Autonomy kicked in the door to multiple separate government offices. Golden light blazed blazed around its body, illuminating its surroundings all across the Cosmere.

On Taldain, the aspect Trell stood the a small, carpeted room that was the office of the Chancellor of Taldain. “Ais T’kalla,” he said grandly, “let us talk.”

Ais scrambled back from his desk. “Who -- who are you?”

“I am Autonomy,” it said. It noticed Ais fumbling for a button and said, “Your police will not help you here. I have taken care of them.”

“W-what do you want?” Ais asked. He tried to smooth the fear out of his face, but it was too little, too late. They both knew Autonomy had the upper hand.

“What I want, Mr. Ais, is for you to forget about your proposal of a United Interplanetary Nation Conference. Remove it from consideration, permanently.”

“No,” Sabid said, frowning. “That’s ridiculous.”

Meanwhile, on another planet 9,373,000,000 kilometers away, Prime Minister Tetalin Sebinal of Hallandren echoed the same sentiment in a ruder form.

Patji leaned forwards onto Tetalin’s desk. “You will do as I say, because you will not enjoy the consequences if you don’t.”

Tetalin stared into the Patji’s eyes, a contrast to the blubbering Prime Minister of Teod. “Whatcha you gonna with me if I don’t?” he said. “Hell if I’m gonna do what some random fu--”

Patji grabbed Tetalin by the wrist and shoved him into its pre-prepared simulation. Golden light exploded around them.

People rioted in the streets of Hallandren. Food was hard to find now, ever since those golden walls of light had shut it off from the wider world. The dye trade was practically dead now, along with a half-dozen related industries. Sure, manufacturing had returned for a short while, but then prices had caught up and destroyed that advantage. Hallandren was truly autonomous now, and was suffering for it.

---------------------------

A dozen lightyears away, President Therese Quinette of Elendel came out of the vision blinking. For someone who had just witnessed the possible economic destruction of her country, she looked surprisingly composed. “How do I know that you won’t impose these borders anyway even if I withdraw my support for UINC?”

“I can control myself,” The Sand Lord said. “Cutting off all travel between countries may increase autonomy in the short term, but it would also plunge the Cosmere into anarchy. I’ll be satisfied getting rid of UINC before it can reduce your people’s freedom even more than it currently is.”

“Why do you dislike the UINC so much?” Therese asked.

“The UINC would become a chokehold on each nation,” The Sand Lord said. Its eyes grew distant as it looked into the Spiritual Realm. “It might start out as just a free trade area and customs union, but over the years it would become a byzantine bureaucracy governed from Silverlight. Your people do not want this.”

“What if I modified the proposal?” Therese asked. “Perhaps if --”

“No!” The Sand Lord boomed. Its hands glowed ominously. “I will not allow the UINC to exist, ever!”

On the distant planet of Roshar, Jiamo looked down at the defeated looking Premier of Alethkar, Jezeriah Kholin.

“Why even give me a choice?” Jezeriah asked. “If you’re Autonomy... you could just, I don’t know, puppet our mouths to decry the UINC publically.”

Jiamo shook its head. “I cannot,” it said. “Just as my nature forces me to destroy the UINC, it forces me to give all sapient beings a choice if I wish to control them.” Its lips quirked. “It does not, however, stop me from heavily weighing the choice to one side.”

“Fine,” Jezeriah said. He held his hands up in surrender. “I’ll announce tomorrow that I think the UINC is a terrible idea. Happy?”

“Yes,” Jiamo said. It, and all of its other aspects, turned and left the offices, before disappearing in a flash of golden light. The Autonomy of future generations had been preserved. All was well in the world. It could take a well-deserved break before implementing its next plan to increase maximum freedom in the Cosmere.

---------------------------

Finn Scholz sat at the head of the conference table, watching his audience. The remains of SilverPoly’s administration. So many of the seats were empty.

“Ladies, gentlemen, and those who are neither,” he said. “Thank you for appointing me Interim Vice Chancellor.” He looked out across the weathered faces of his staff. “I mourn the losses of Ruin’s latest attack, especially the late Daton Rild. I wish we had time to properly commemorate them, but our priorities now must lie with the living, not the dead. We must reopen SilverPoly as soon as possible.”

He took a deep breath. “When we do, we will not reopen the Shard Lab.”

Raona Sheran opened her mouth in outrage. Finn silenced her with a hand.

“The power of Adonalsium is not for humans to trifle with. Ruin’s attack would never have happened if we did not open up a lab to study it. Exposure inevitably builds corruption, even in the most well-meaning of researchers.” Finn thought back to Daton, incinerated in the attack, and his face hardened. “That is why we will permanently drop the Investiture Science, Invested Physics, and Realmatics majors from our degree offering. Thank you for understanding, and let us hope this never happens again.”

---------------------

The game is over!

Autonomy (Hemalurgic Headshot) has reached their win condition of creating an aspect on every world!

Survival (TheYoungPyromancer) has reached their win condition of being the Vessel of the Shard of Survival and surviving until the end of the game.

Cultivation (Arinian) has failed to reach their win condition of ending the game with all Shards unshattered.

Odium (Joe) has failed to reach their win condition of Shattering all of the Shards.

The remaining factions have also failed to reach their win conditions!

Thanks for playing everybody. Look for a retrospective from me in the next few days meditating on what went wrong with the game, what went right, and what I thought about it all.

Player List:

1. Young Bard - Jeral Adonalsium's Chosen-aligned Researcher and the Vessel of Devotion!
  2. Arinian - Eilen Independent aligned Researcher; Vessel of Cultivation
  3. Eternum - Habrian 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Honor
  4. Fifth Scholar - Darrel 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Dominion
  5. randuir - Met 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Ambition
  6. Steeldancer - Steeldancer and Eobard Thawne Returned
  7. Straw - Straw 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Preservation
  8. Jondesu - Quintus 17th Shard aligned Researcher
  9. Droughtbringer - Ralar 17th Shard aligned Researcher!
  10. Devotary of Sponteneity - Reed Khrissala and the Vessel of Ruin
  11. livinglegend - Unnamed Character 3 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Devotion (shattered)
  12. Orlok/A Joe in the Bush - Locke Tekiel Independent aligned Researcher; Vessel of Odium
  13. MonsterMetroid/RippleGylf - Willie Standard of Harmony-aligned Researcher
  14. Magestar - Moro 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Preservation
  15. Hemalurgic_Headshot - Jiamo Independent aligned Researcher; Vessel of Autonomy
  16. Megasif - Mega 17th Shard aligned Researcher
  17. Sart - Sam Taswell 17th Shard aligned Researcher
  18. TheYoungPyromancer - Kelsier Independent aligned Researcher; Vessel of Preservation
  19. _Stick_ - Stick 17th Shard aligned Researcher; Vessel of Endowment
  20. shanerockes - Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III 17th Shard aligned Researcher
  21. Drake Marshall - Everen Hoid
  22. Elbereth - Elaria Adonalsium's Chosen-aligned Researcher

Docs

Cognitive Realm (Dead Doc)

Spiritual Realm (Spec Doc)

Adonalsium's Chosen

Standard of Harmony

Braize World Doc

Taldain World Doc

Nalthis World Doc

Roshar World Doc

Scadrial World Doc

Thought that none of the alignments might have changed from the first game! Dang, I should post some of the thoughts that go through my head, and maybe I’d actually win :P 

edit: thought isn’t accurate. Vaguely suspected is likely a better term

Joe, I’ve got a trade for you. See, I have this lovely Shard of Dominion that I know you’d just love to have, and in exchange, you give me Odium. Don’t worry, I won’t leave you without memorabilia- these now-navy-blue Odium gloves sure look like they’d fit you well, and I can Invest them as heavily as you want. Once I have the Shard, of course...

Hey, Jaimo, since you’re now ruler of the universe and all that, do you mind helping out the people who put you there, and give me those gloves back? I’ll give you fifteen emerald broams for them- you’d profit! Plus, with you now being Autonomy and all that, you probably don’t have much of a use for those gloves anyway. Is that fine with you, O Lord of the Cosmere?  

So Joe, here’s my proposed trade:

I give you

1 Shard of Dominion

1 pair of Odium-Invested gloves

1 pouch of Atium beads, from LG42 (I’ll just have Olaf pop on over to Hadrian’s secret desk compartment and retrieve them)

My undying gratitude for not finding me before I found you, because I appreciated being Unshattered and able to redirect a kill action

And you give me

1 Shard of Odium (Which, if I receive it, shall be dubbed SOdium, because I’m salty at myself for not posting the thoughts that ran through my head that could have saved us this game)

Deal, @A Joe in the Bush?

Oh, also, Seonid- why didn’t I get a win con like the other Shards did, after three cycles of holding my Shard?

Edited by Fifth Scholar

Yeah, I admit I definitely didn't see this coming.  Huh.

Well, my main three regrets are that I wasn't as active as I wanted to be, didn't leave Silverlight soon enough, and that the game ended this soon. :P It was a pretty good game, all things considered.

And DoS, I most definitely need two copies of Preservation. :P One's broken, and is acting as a container for something else.  

Humph.  And I should probably throw together some Moro RP.  -sigh-  Another thing I wish I'd done more of this game.

Congratulations to Pyro and HH for being the only winners :P

Ha, reading that player list at the end of the SoH doc made me laugh. XD Props to Joe and Arinian for trying. :P Also to Drake and Devotary and the converts. Though if one of you (Hoid/Khriss) had died in like any way, the village would have certainly noticed how similar the roles were shaping out to be to the former role distribution, and would have killed the other one of you via lynch just to see if the roles changed:P, but you did a good job anyway. 

@Devotary of Spontaneity I had a feeling you were lying about not having a Shard, so I was going to 'scan' you tonight to see whether you had a Shard. Too bad it couldn't happen. :(

Edited by _Stick_