Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

Friendly debates are a hallmark of the Shard, in my experience. :) And particularly of this forum - after all, we all have to be able to lynch each other and call each other evil while still being friends. This is one of the least competitive places to play mafia that I know of, and friendliness keeps it that way. (Join the SE Discord, if you'd like even more friendly debate. :P)

Sure, the win condition for Odium is hard. If it's anything like previous games (which honestly isn't too likely as GMs are trolls), he's a SK. SKs are nigh-impossible to win. But - they're also fun. And the idea of holding a Shard and trying to achieve its win condition is very fun, even if it's nearly impossible. (That's what makes these games work despite everything being OP - everyone has fun anyways.) Without accountability of "I have a Shard and will pass it this turn so I don't get converted", I could entirely see people holding Shards. There's also the curiosity factor of what exactly the win condition is. So I think that there's quite enough to incentivise people to keep Shards if they want to. 

Seonid, far as I know, usually balances almost entirely RNG. And you've already been active enough to show that you're probably not going to go inactive. :P Don't worry. (Though if Seonid weren't known for RNG, you might either have a great chance at Hoid or no chance at all, more likely the latter. Be careful about saying what you want publicly. :P)

(and you really didn't need to bother mentioning me :P)

I had in mind that he might decide to be super trolly. If he was super trolly, I was probably not going to get it unless I asked specifically, so I raised my chance. If he used RNG, it wouldn’t affect anything, so on average I raised my chance. Thanks for the advice though. By the way... what is with all the smiles? *gasp* You must be BrightnessRadiant in disguise!:ph34r:

Just now, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I had in mind that he might decide to be super trolly. If he was super trolly, I was probably not going to get it unless I asked specifically, so I raised my chance. If he used RNG, it wouldn’t affect anything, so on average I raised my chance. Thanks for the advice though. By the way... what is with all the smiles? *gasp* You must be BrightnessRadiant in disguise!:ph34r:

Now I'm wondering who you are...

That I am very definitely not. :P You should look at Aonar's posts sometime. But I am more used to other settings (as I haven't posted nearly anything but writeups in a few months on here, so have been talking much more in chats), and :P in particular is/was a very common emoticon here that I hadn't really seen used as extensively anywhere else. 

Just now, Elbereth said:

That I am very definitely not. :P You should look at Aonar's posts sometime. But I am more used to other settings (as I haven't posted nearly anything but writeups in a few months on here, so have been talking much more in chats), and :P in particular is/was a very common emoticon here that I hadn't really seen used as extensively anywhere else. 

":P" or ":P" has become part of my everyday language while typing... because of you people 

*Looks at everyone*

3 hours ago, Elenion said:

If you're not sure if you can make time for this LG, you could always consider joining MR28. :D

Poacher! :D

But yeah - if you're worried about the time investment, feel free to join the other game.

5 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I’ll tell you after the game.  Now your soul will burn in curiosity whether or not I am really Alv!(or someone else.)

ps. Note: I added two spaces between my sentences.

Well done. :P Not you can bother everyone who's bothered by that while Alv is gone and can't. 

(It's probably worth noting that having an alt account is a bannable offence on the Shard.)

IP address, usually, along with other factors (so, if you're sharing a computer with your brother, you won't get banned, clearly). 

It's the way he was taught in school. (As was I, in fairness, and I eventually just ignored that.) 

NO.  When the printing press was first invented, they had to make all the letter blocks the same size, or else it wouldn't work.  This made it look like an I or an L was the end of a sentence.  So, they double-spaced the ends of sentences to make it easier to distinguish. It is a holdover from then.

Elereod was born on Sel, thousands of years after its restoration. He hated the Elantrians and their powers, the way they thought their abilities justified them to meddle in the lives of others. He'd lost count of the number of times his parents had dragged him into Elantris, begging the distant gods that resided there to try one more time to heal him. A silvery being would look down at the little boy, his hands trembling uncontrollably. Without pausing to examine the boy or trying to discover what was wrong with him, the Elantrian would invariably begin to trace the familiar shape of Aon Ien. When the light faded and Elereod remained unchanged, the Elantrian would try again, adding new and different modifiers each time. All of them failed. Perhaps, Elereod wanted them to fail. Everyone had heard stories of the distant past, when Elantris fell. Ten years without their powers had forced the Elantrians and their neighbors to get along without magic. The Arelons had squandered that opportunity for technological development, and Raoden's triumph had led to further technological stagnation. Nonmagical medicine had not progressed beyond simple treatment of minor wounds. Nobody on the planet could do anything for Elereod.

It had been a traveler from Scadrial who had finally saved him. Who had looked at him not with pity or with mockery, but with scientific interest. She had been a Set Hemalurgist, endowed with a supply of pewter spikes. Yet she hadn't tried a magical solution immediately. Feruchemical gold was not her first, last, and only solution to medical problems. She was the one who had finally told him, after nearly two decades of life, why he was like this. Copper savants, she explained, often had similar symptoms. Too much copper built up in the body was toxic, and caused the hand tremors, the balance issues, the dark rings around his eyes, even his impulsive, and at times psychotic, behavior. In the end, she offered him a choice. He could accept the way he was, with the knowledge that his lifespan would be limited. He could get a liver transplant, take drugs for the rest of his life and avoid copper. Or, he could accept an aluminum spike, cleanse the copper from his system, and begin a new life as a Hemalurgist. In the end, Elereod accepted the spike, and the flakes of aluminum that came with it. He would join the ranks of the Set, but not for the abilities it offered. No, Elereod wanted only one thing, to find those with too much power, and Ruin them, casting them down to the levels of ordinary mortals.

Decades passed and Elereod became an old man. Frequent burning of aluminum had kept his disease in check, while also granting him the abilities of a savant. Having long since retired from fieldwork, Elereod spent his time researching technologies that could supplant magic and guarantee equal standing between those with power and those without. When the call came from Silverlight that Hoid and Khrissala were attempting to free the Shards from containment, Elereod knew that his days of taking an advisory role were over. The two ancient worldhoppers collectively represented the two things he hated most of all; the accumulation of power into fewer and fewer people and the tendency of the powerful to interfere in the lives of those less fortunate. Elereod packed up his aluminum fiber armor, his supply of Allomantic aluminum, and fake documentation bearing the name Reed in preparation for the trip to Silverlight. Yes, he would stop Hoid and Khrisalla, but he had another motive as well. He would destroy the Shards themselves, splintering them and scattering their Investiture throughout the Cosmere. Never again would wars be fought over their corrupting power. If he died in the process, so be it.

8 hours ago, Droughtbringer said:

I also agree that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III, must have been at least slightly confused with Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III, as Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III obviously didn't notice that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III had just broken the rule that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III had just set. I see this as being a problem for Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III who may get tired as constantly referring to Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III as Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III, no matter the situation.

Good luck, Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III, I wish Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III well.

9 hours ago, Young Bard said:

Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III must not have noticed that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III addressed Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III as 'I' (my apologies, humblest Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III) in Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III's introductory post, in which Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III let it be known that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III is to be known as Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III. Clearly, this is a travesty that Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III can not overlook. :P

This...hurt my soul just a little. Glad someone found an error so let it be known that from this moment, I shall be known to everyone as Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson III, not to get mixed up with my father, Philepe De Pedro Von Leiderhuch Johnson II. 

Experience. Hundreds of lives lived, all different but all the same. There is a certain transcendent peace in the unified multiplicity of experience.

Everen had his eyes closed, lost in the stream of memories. Images, sounds, colors, cycling through his mind at breakneck pace as he casually sifted through them. Impossible to look too closely at any single recollection, for it was soon long gone, forgotten and replaced by the next memory.

Everen located the memory he was searching for, and allowed himself a moment of satisfaction.

. . .

The scientist carefully measured out a quantity of silvery powder from a bottle marked "hathsin." He poured the powder into a small beaker, mixing the solution with a glass stirring rod. He placed the beaker in a receptacle on a large steel canister.

"I am now exposing the splinter to solution," he said, as he tweaked controls on the canister. Slowly, the solution was drained from it's beaker.

Nothing happened for a moment. Then the canister exploded.

The next few moments were impossible to track. Lights destroyed. Flashes of red emergency lights, illuminating tendrils of something large and inky black. The scientist and canister, both simply gone. Silence punctuated by rending steel and shattering glass.

"Danger," an automated voice unhelpfully announced. "Containment breach."

More destruction. Another flash of red, illuminating a spear of blackness reaching out. Pain.

"Danger. Containment breach."

Thrown through the air, a moment of free fall. Impact. Oblivion.

. . .

Everen opened his eyes, found himself seated comfortably in an armchair, observing as a scientist approached a steel canister marked "Splinter R6" holding an infused gemstone in a pair of tongs.

"I don't think you want to do that," he said dryly, taking another sip from his mug of heartroot tea.