Aluminium Mistings - actually useful off Scadrial?!

Isilel

I have been trawling through rhe WoBs and have come across this one:

https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160#100

and my mind was pretty much blown. Aluminium gnats can protect themselves against withering by shades on Threnody by burning their metal! Doesn't it also mean that they'd be able to nullify, say, Lashings used on them? Resist being soulcast by an enemy surge/void-binder in a fight? Avoid Vasher's "let's give them Breaths and incapacitate them for the crucial moment" ploy? Etc, etc. Now, if true, this would almost make Allomantic Aluminium a reasonable ability, once the metal itself becomes cheaper. Particularly, if Sanderson also decides to throw in "burning away impurities", which he has been vascillating on, as far as I could determine.

I think that what he was trying to say was alomancy in general, since the question was aluminum compared to Ferchemal gold. Do you think he was trying to say aluminum specifically? I could understand why burning metal would protect you, kind of like how it's hard to Push invested metal. Although I guess since aluminum purifies things, it might make sense that it purifies a person from Shades. I still think he was talking about alomancy in general.

6 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

I think that what he was trying to say was alomancy in general, since the question was aluminum compared to Ferchemal gold. Do you think he was trying to say aluminum specifically? I could understand why burning metal would protect you, kind of like how it's hard to Push invested metal. Although I guess since aluminum purifies things, it might make sense that it purifies a person from Shades. I still think he was talking about alomancy in general.

He said both of the two would work. 

F-gold would work by healing you as it does normally. Aluminum works by removing foreign investiture for the body. 

So yes @Isilel, I believe aluminum would be useful against anything that pushes investiture into you, like a lashing, or a stamp. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been shown to effect emotional Allomancy. 

34 minutes ago, Calderis said:

He said both of the two would work. 

F-gold would work by healing you as it does normally. Aluminum works by removing foreign investiture for the body. 

So yes @Isilel, I believe aluminum would be useful against anything that pushes investiture into you, like a lashing, or a stamp. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been shown to effect emotional Allomancy. 

Not very easy to show since most aluminum gnats are never even aware of their powers. Instinctive burning to prevent emotional allomancy using trace metals would be momentary at best as the aluminum would destroyed what little you've ingested as well. Maybe we'll get into it in the future when aluminum becomes even more widespread and people discover better ways to control it.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

3 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Not very easy to show since most aluminum gnats are never even aware of their powers. Instinctive burning to prevent emotional allomancy using trace metals would be momentary at best as the aluminum would destroyed what little you've ingested as well.

Even larger amounts of aluminium burn very quickly, if Vin's experience with it when a prisoner of the Inquisitors is any guide. It could only serve to negate foreign Investiture directly affecting a gnat right at that moment. So, yes, it would be more a detection system than an on-going protection if it worked against Emotional Allomancy - which it really should.

Concerning the discovery of Aluminium Mistings - I suspect that nobles/rich people do check for it, as having any Allomancy at all could indicate a higher chance for the children of that person to end up with an actually useful ability, and that could affect their desirability as a prospective spouse in an arranged marriage, say. But yes, the majority of them likely go unrecognized. Ditto Gold and Duralumin Mistings.

@John203:

Thanks, I am aware of the coppermind. It was the contents of this particular WoB that blew my mind, not discovery of a WoB database :P.

• Chaos locked this topic