Retro Pi ROM Recommendations?

mattig89ch

Hello all,

I only really game into gaming in the PS2 era.  Prior to that, I had a few games on the N64, but not many.  So I'm going to try and replicate my games from the N64.  Starfox, Ocorana of Time, Excite Bike, Golden Eye, Rogue Squadron, Pod Racer, and The World is Not Enough was my N64 collection.

But besides that, I'm blank on any good games from other consoles of that era.  Or other good games from the N64 for that matter.  I'm a big fan of scifi, mechs, shooters, and RPG's on consoles.

So, what games do you all recommend?

One of my favorite N64 games was Paper Mario. 

One for older for SNES was Super Mario RPG but finding that game is close to impossible, or crazy expensive. 

ps2/1 era: RPG: Any of the final Fantasy games are amazing, i would hope you have played these. racing: Need for speed underground 2 was amazing. Shooters: star wars battlefront 1/2 are great, so are the scom: navy seal games. another little treasure is "Black" which is a fps.

As much as I'd love to play them, the battlefront games were for the PS2/Xbox Original

As for paper mario...that might work.  If I can find a ROM for it.  But thanks for the suggestion!  Do you have any more?

Edit: If it helps, check out the official page.  It shows what consoles you can play roms from.

https://retropie.org.uk/

Edited by mattig89ch
Updating post with link

• 1 month later...

From N64 I remember enjoying Quest 64 (an RPG) and Jet Force Gemini (a shooter). The only RPGs I can even think of are Quest 64, Paper Mario, and Ogre Battle 64. Something in a bit of a different direction but I would also recommend Blast Corps (action/puzzle?) and Space Station Silicon Valley (platformer/puzzle?). I can't think of any recent games to compare them to though.

If you're really looking into RPGs, SNES has a decent amount of good ones: Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Earthbound, Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, the list goes on.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions all!

I'm actually having trouble powering my new Pi3 B+ atm.  Still, its good to have these games stored away in my mind for later downloading.

Unfortunately, the original playstation's graphics are a bit too much for a Rasberry pi to play atm.  Perhaps in another few iterations that'll change, but not right now at least.

Like @marles said the SNES had some of the best role-playing games of all time, and the Raspberry Pi emulates them flawlessly:

Chrono-Trigger - Time travelling, multi-character cast game that spans times from the Caveman days to the Dystopian wasteland future. One of the best games ever made, amazing graphics, amazing music and a ridiculously fun battle system.

Final Fantasy VI (also known as Final Fantasy III in the US) - Epic in scope, probably the best sprite based art and animaton of any game ever made, and the game is massive, easily requiring 40+ hrs of play time to beat. This is my favorite game of all times. The story is great, the characters are awesome, and this game has one of the best villains of all time.

Shadowrun (for the SNES) - If you are ok with the old school graphics, this hard-boiled cyber punk rpg is great. The version for the Sega genesis is pretty good too, if you like this one would be worthwhile playing that one too.

On 4/18/2018 at 0:11 PM, Ammanas said:

Super Mario 64 is a lot of fun.

I agree, my favorite mario game from is Super Mario World though (SNES). But this should probably move to the entertainment forum.

Edited by ElephantEarwax