Mistborn Awakeners

Hey everyone!

I was just thinking, if an Awakener of the Tenth Heightning placed enough Breath within some allomantic metal, and then that Invested metal was burned by a fullborn (if needed, filling a nicrosil metalmind), could we have one of the most op characters in the cosmere?

Edited by LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian

According to Brandon, they would get the metal's powers+the Breaths back.

Questioner (paraphrased)

What would happen if Allomancer was also an Awakener and Awakened metal he'd burn?”

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If he did that, he’d get allomantic power and also get back the Breaths used in Awakening the metal.

Footnote: supposedly it was around half an hour into the signing line; has not been found on the record although we may have started it after it was asked already
source

30 minutes ago, LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian said:

Here it specifies that the allomancer  is an awakener. What if a regular allomancer  tried?

If the Allomancer can place Breath into an object, wouldn't he be an Awakener?

Ohhhhhhhhh sorry.  I didn't catch that.  You meant if an Awakener put their Breath in some metal, then a separate Mistborn came along and burned it.

I think it'd be like trying to burn someone else's metalminds if it's not Breath that was keyed to you first.

Questioner

What would happen if an Allomancer burned Awakened metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh boy, we start right with the really hard ones. So, it would be very difficult to do, and other than that it's going to depend on who the Breaths are keyed to with Identity.

source

Allomancers can't burn invested metal. The exception being if that specific allomancer was the one that invested the metal. If person A invested the metal(via breaths, furuchemy, or otherwise) and person B ingested the metal, they'd be able to sense the metal and the corresponding power within it, but would not be able to burn it. Person A would be able to burn it.  Another exception would involve person A had no Identity during the creation of the invested metal, then anyone could activate the metal if they had the right abilities.

What if they're a fullborn filling a nicrosil metalmind?

Edit: is there a specific WOB on this or are you referring to when Vin tried to burn Sazed's metalmind? Because Breath doesn't seem to be as specific as feruchemical Investiture. 

@LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian Burning nicrosil will not help in this instance. Nicrosil stores investiture, for instance the abilitiy to use allomancy, but it only works for powers you currently have access to, for instance the unkeyed metalminds in the Southern Scadrial Medallions. It won't help in accessing a source of investiture that is not keyed to you. At least, that's how I understood it, the southern people store their Identity, so they have none. Then they store warmth(or whichever attribute they can) in the corresponding metalmind, and then they store the ability to access that metalmind in the nicrosil. You tap the unkeyed nicrosil, which lets you tap the unkeyed warmth. But I should note the rules surrounding this haven't been fully explored.

And yes, I was referring to when Vin tried to burn Sazed's metalmind. Breath is just as specific in terms of Identity, its just that rekeying breath to a new identity is much easier. Transferring breath rekeys the breath to the new individual. But the rekeying process must be done by the original owner, it cannot be stolen by another person. Hence torturing people to give up breath.

56 minutes ago, LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian said:

What if they're a fullborn filling a nicrosil metalmind?

Edit: is there a specific WOB on this or are you referring to when Vin tried to burn Sazed's metalmind? Because Breath doesn't seem to be as specific as feruchemical Investiture. 

The one that I pasted addresses this.  There are also several WoBs about Breath being keyed to Identity.  Which makes sense, since you can't steal someone else's Breath, and you can't retrieve Breath from an object you didn't awaken.

You make some compelling points. I currently cannot find a way to fault them, so instead I have a question that relies on us assuming this to be possible.

If a Mistborn Awakener burned aluminium, would this also dispose of their Breath?

Edit: Sorry @RShara I missed your post. That clears some things up. Thank you.

Typo

ooooo interesting....That raises the question of what Aluminum actually does. Is it just destroying other metals, or is it specifically targeting investiture. If a mistborn relocated to a subastral where metal was no longer the focus(or whatever the correct term is, that's still fuzzy), would aluminium still destroy the metal?  If a metalmind was piecing your body, would aluminium destroy the metal, or the charges within, or both? Same goes for breath. I'm honestly not sure what it would do. I don't think we have the information to answer this.

1 minute ago, Wandering Investor said:

If a mistborn relocated to a subastral where metal was no longer the focus(or whatever the correct term is, that's still fuzzy), would aluminium still destroy the metal?

Metal will always be the Focus for Allomancy, no matter where they are. So yes, the metal will still be destroyed.

But it's targeting Investiture.

Kurkistan
If you're on Threnody and you get Withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

Brandon Sanderson
They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so it's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

9 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

If a metalmind was piecing your body, would aluminium destroy the metal, or the charges within, or both?

This question is about Chromium, but it's pretty close. Make of this how you wish:

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
What it boils down to is this:

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The non-Invested metals go before the Invested ones. He said that because invested metals are harder to effect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

1 minute ago, LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian said:

I believe this is the spell that instantly summons Arcanists.

And me, since I was already here. :)

If a Mistborn Awakener burned aluminium, would this also dispose of their Breath?

I'm fairly certain that aluminum burning clears out all investiture.  So yeah, I think the Breath would be lost.

Oops, One Who Connects beat me to it.

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic