(OB) The Complete Stormlight Archive Cover Art

Ammanas

So if you have a e-reader you may of noticed you can purchase different series as one file. It will say something to the effect of , "The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen", "The Complete Wheel of Time" etc. It will also have cover art that is unique from the cover art of the other books in the series (see examples below). Each of the examples has either a scene or symbology introduced in the first book. For the Malazan example it is The Siege at Pale. A event that, in some respects, is a microcosm of the series.

So hop in your time machines and it is now the year 2090. The Stormlight Archive is now complete and they are releasing their one volume file. What do you want to see for cover art? What would best give the reader a idea of what this series is about?

51fEdoux39L._SY346_.jpg

51xSFlj0zKL._SY346_.jpg

So... initial thoughts.

• In my opinion, it's too early for us to have a good scene to use like the Malazan cover.
  • You could do the Double Eye, similar to the WoT cover.
  • I feel like WoT had to be a symbol because there was just too storming many events/characters/etc.. to find a good focal one. And I feel like SA is following this pattern too. With just the 3 we've got so far, I'm not sure whether Kaladin or Dalinar would fit better on an overall cover. And we've got seven more books.
42 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

What would best give the reader a idea of what this series is about?

When you put it that way, I've got to give it to Rebecca.

First_Ideal_poster.thumb.jpg.4e37f0dd1cd7f6544ac71434e4c1a01b.jpg

Just put "The Stormlight Archives" below the banner(across their feet) and you're good.

(So.. how does one "insert image from URL" ? Tried multiple times, failed miserably, ended up saving the image to my desktop and inserting it that way.)

Edited by The One Who Connects

Something with an hourglass.  There's a lot of "time is running out" and looking back in time with flashbacks, as well as a lot of general sand.

A Highstorm is pretty dang iconic and would make some good cover art as well.

16 hours ago, Zellyia said:

Something with an hourglass.  There's a lot of "time is running out" and looking back in time with flashbacks, as well as a lot of general sand.

A Highstorm is pretty dang iconic and would make some good cover art as well.

An hourglass is also symmetrical, so let's use an hourglass with a storm raging inside of it. 

I think it should be the ten Honorblades, all sitting in a ring on the day of Aharietiam, maybe a dead thunderclast in the background. It's how the Stormlight Archive starts, and it's looking like the whole series will be about desolations and the oathpact. I think it certainly sets the mood for the series.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I think it should be the ten Honorblades, all sitting in a ring on the day of Aharietiam, maybe a dead thunderclast in the background. It's how the Stormlight Archive starts, and it's looking like the whole series will be about desolations and the oathpact. I think it certainly sets the mood for the series.

Absolutely agree. The Circle of Blades would be the perfect image. Simple, yet powerful. The kind of still image from a movie trailer that becomes the poster image. (Even if they don't use that for the cover, it should be a poster. We need that in our lives)

The big question I'd have would be whether to have all 10 Honorblades, or only 9 to match the scene that it illustrates?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, The One Who Connects said:

The big question I'd have would be whether to have all 10 Honorblades, or only 9 to match the scene that it illustrates?

Make one of them visibly broken. Then have 9 slumped/dejected figures in the background walking in opposite directions. The image of the proud/powerful blades by the dead thunderclast would make a nice contrast with the one broken blade and the defeated figures walking away from the battle

On 3/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, The One Who Connects said:

You have a point. (no pun intended :P) Maybe have an empty slot where Taln's blade would have been? But that wouldn't make sense, because his blade was never there in the first place. I'm thinking make them angled in as if to be a ten-point star, but with only nine blades.

On 5 March 2018 at 6:59 AM, Belzedar said:

Maybe just the Shattered Plains, and a highstorm raging on the horizon. And in the foreground, just Dalinar, looking into the oncoming storm. There's your microcosm.

Thats basically the WoK cover though.

12 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

You have a point. (no pun intended :P) Maybe have an empty slot where Taln's blade would have been? But that wouldn't make sense, because his blade was never there in the first place. I'm thinking make them angled in as if to be a ten-point star, but with only nine blades.

There was room for Talns blade wasn't there? Doesn't....I've forgotten who the last Herald there was, but doesnt he glance at the place the Blade would have been and feel guilty about it?

2 hours ago, Del-light-full said:

There was room for Talns blade wasn't there? Doesn't....I've forgotten who the last Herald there was, but doesnt he glance at the place the Blade would have been and feel guilty about it?

The Prelude was from Kalak's perspective, and yes, he notes a gap in the ring where Taln's blade should be. 

And yet, he could not help glancing back at the ring of swords and the single open spot. The place where the tenth sword should have gone.

The one of them who was lost. The one they had abandoned.

Edited by Calderis

14 hours ago, Del-light-full said:

Thats basically the WoK cover though.

Yes, but that's warrior Dalinar. For the collected series, I imagine Bondsmith Dalinar. No plate, no blade, no salute to a worthy foe. Just a man alone, staring down the stormclouds.

Are you in Northern Ireland or does amazon not have a Irish division? If you are from Northern Ireland how is it nowadays? Is everything still peaceful? Its been a while since I have heard of the old troubles and violence that used to common.

Edited by Ammanas

Im in the republic, the uk amazon does here as well, theres not trouble in the north anymore since the late 80s/early 90s, but with brexit could start again if a hard boarder is put in place, its a very contentious point in the negotiations for brexit and indeed here and the north.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, Ammanas said:

So hop in your time machines and it is now the year 2090. The Stormlight Archive is now complete and they are releasing their one volume file. What do you want to see for cover art? What would best give the reader a idea of what this series is about?

Pssh, cover art. It's 2090. I'm purchasing it and downloading it straight to my brain. For my one hundred and elevendyth birthday.

11 hours ago, Bleeder said:

They'll probably do it in two volumes of front and back five, so for the front five I can see it being maybe the Battle of the Tower or a chasm view or something.

(Hi bleeder!)

Why the Battle of the Tower? Is was a major turning point in book 1 but there will be five books of drama to choose from. 

• Chaos locked this topic