[OB] Nightblood

Nvita11

Welcome to the 17th Shard!  Here is a recent thread about the subject with some good discussion.

I really doubt the dagger is anywhere near as powerful as Nightblood.  The dagger seems to be using some form of Hemalurgy. 

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

But it's there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

source

Killing him normally would just cause him to respawn on Braize.  They had to capture his soul or whatever investiture let him respawn, in order to prevent that.  And there might be other uses for whatever they took from him, that we haven't seen yet.

Also, he was likely invested enough to count as a small splinter of Honor.  Bigger than an honorspren, much smaller than the Stormfather.

Warbreaker spoilers

Spoiler

The Returned and the Heralds are pretty similar, and the Returned are stapled to their bodies with small Splinters of Endowment, aka Divine Breaths.

@Leyrann So in theory if Nightblood had enough breaths he would be able to splinter a Shard?  Or is it the case that when making a sentient object they can only reach a certain heightening? Perhaps Vivenna's sword could be an improved upon Nightblood because it seems to contain investiture and we know it isn't a shardblade. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that she learned the mystery behind Nightblood while traveling with Vasher.

Just now, Nvita11 said:

@Leyrann So in theory if Nightblood had enough breaths he would be able to splinter a Shard?  Or is it the case that when making a sentient object they can only reach a certain heightening? Perhaps Vivenna's sword could be an improved upon Nightblood because it seems to contain investiture and we know it isn't a shardblade. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that she learned the mystery behind Nightblood while traveling with Vasher.

No. Nightblood doesn't stack breaths, he consumes them. He simply doesn't have the power to destroy something that has as much Investiture as a shard.

As for Vivenna's sword, it's likely an improved version of Nightblood, which behaves more like a normal Shardblade. They probably found a better command. Maybe "cut" instead of something as rigorous as "destroy evil".

1 hour ago, Leyrann said:

As for Vivenna's sword, it's likely an improved version of Nightblood, which behaves more like a normal Shardblade. They probably found a better command. Maybe "cut" instead of something as rigorous as "destroy evil".

Yeah clearly Viv's sword seems to be a lot more efficient and onerous on the user. I'm guessing it's something like when they first discovered Lifeless, it took tons of breaths to make each one. Then subsequently they figured out the single-breath lifeless command, and then the ichor-alcohol to keep them running smoothly. Her sword was probably created and runs without nearly the investiture requirement of Nightblood.

• Chaos locked this topic