Trelagism and Avatars

thegatorgirl00

I was recently looking at the beliefs of the original Trelagism religion, and it seemed interesting in the context of shard's avatars. 

Trell had many eyes that quietly shone out, always watching them. His brother had one eye that he made shine brighter than Trell's. 

Autonomy has many Avatars throughout the Cosmere, all with less individual power than than the other shards. 

The story of Trell seems a good metaphor for Autonomy and the other shards, assuming you mean to make Autonomy the hero. Or I could just be reading too much into this in an attempt to make connections. Which do you guys think it is? 

We know Bavadin likes creating personas and has entire pantheons where every deity is actually her, so it's far from impossible that she started Trelagism. There's also a 'Trell' who appears in White Sand which is more than a little suspicious. That said, I suspect that if Bavadin created the religion, it was via a human intermediary for the purpose of having something she could later co-opt if needed, rather than doing so directly via a persona. One bit of potential evidence for this is that Brandon said that at the time of Sazed's Ascension, the only two Shards on Scadrial were Preservation and Ruin. You could wiggle around that with the argument that a Splinter of Autonomy is not technically a Shard but Brandon has also mentioned that we haven't seen Splinters on Scadrial during Era 1. It's also possible the Trell thing could be a hilarious coincidence Brandon dangled in front of our noses for a laugh and Trelagism just happened to best suit Bavadin's needs when she was looking for a local religion to co-opt, but that wouldn't be as fun. And yes, I'm firmly in the camp of 'Trell is Autonomy' too.

For the TLDR answer: At this point I don't believe it's possible to ever read too much into things, where Autonomy's possible actions are concerned. xD

• Chaos locked this topic