Nightblood OP

28 minutes ago, Ishar said:

you seem to forget that shardblades weigh practically nothing.

This is not true. They are only light in comparison to an object of similar size made of normal metal. Shardblades still have significant weight. 

32 minutes ago, Ishar said:

Shardblades are super light, so using them for anything that doesn't involve cutting would be super ineffective unless a radiant can change their shardblade's weight.

Shardblades are not super light they are just lighter than what most expect them to be, so they would be lighter than if someone made a similar sword out of iron.

5 hours ago, Ishar said:

Shardblades are super light,

The others have already said it, but have the passage from the book.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:52 PM, The One Who Connects said:

They are light for their size.

"It's heavier than I expected."
"Really?" Yake said. "Everyone says they're light."
"Those are people used to a regular sword," Zahel said. "If you've trained all your life with a longsword, then pick up something that looks like it has two or three times as much steel to it, you expect it to weight more. Not less."

They shouldn't be that different from their standard counterparts, because training with a properly weighted sword is important. Lighteyes are trained to be able to take up a Shardblade at a moments notice, and you can't do that if the weight balance is vastly different. Too much over/underswing.

So yeah... I kinda forgot about that. So let’s assume that they weigh as much as their normal counter part, does that mean when you shrink them down to a smaller size that they change weight, or does the weight remain the same, simply more dense? Also, anybody happen to know how much nightblood ways, just randomly curious.

6 minutes ago, Ishar said:

So yeah... I kinda forgot about that. So let’s assume that they weigh as much as their normal counter part, does that mean when you shrink them down to a smaller size that they change weight, or does the weight remain the same, simply more dense? Also, anybody happen to know how much nightblood ways, just randomly curious.

They are a specific form of metal, so the density should be consistent. I imagine that a smaller blade is just manifesting less in the physical realm... Just my opinion though. 

Nightblood on the other hand is heavier than his size, for exactly the opposite reason. Stormlight is light, and rises like smoke. The smoke/liquid that Nightblood puts out drips/sinks. 

Herowannabe

I noticed that shardblades are unnaturally light but Nightblood is unnaturally heavy.

Brandon Sanderson

That is correct.

Herowannabe

Care to expound on that?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is built around the same principles as shardblades, if shardblades were... broken?  I mean he is-- You'll notice dark smoke that goes down rather than light smoke that goes up, and things like this. So, yeah, they are built on the same principles but in some ways opposites.

source

• 6 months later...
On 27/02/2018 at 10:05 PM, RShara said:

The problem with coating things in aluminum is that yes, aluminum will cancel out investiture.  But it's still a thin coat of a relatively soft and weak metal.  Whereas Shardblades are hard, sharp, pointy objects meant to slice and dice.

How does aluminum cancel out investiture? Would some one be able to throw a device that latches onto the shard plate rendering it useless?

14 minutes ago, Skybreaker156 said:

How does aluminum cancel out investiture? Would some one be able to throw a device that latches onto the shard plate rendering it useless?

I'm not sure what you mean? It's known that aluminum cancels out investiture. You can't soulcast it, and the magical cutting abilities of a Shardblade is nullified. You can't push or pull on it. Why or how is something that Brandon hasn't explained yet. It doesn't suck up investiture, it's just immune to it, so throwing a chunk of aluminum onto Plate wouldn't do anything. A device might be possible once we get into the future, and there's more contact between worlds though (trying to avoid spoilers here).

Edited by RShara

On 3/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, Ishar said:

what if you don't have the shardblade take the form of a sword, as is seen multiple times in Oathbringer, but instead choose a dull object, does this completely negate the cutting effects of a shard, because as I mentioned earlier, Shardblades are super light, so using them for anything that doesn't involve cutting would be super ineffective unless a radiant can change their shardblade's weight.

Does Lift not use shardfork to eat stuff? And some kind of shard staff as she does not want to cut? It seems like it is totally possible to make shards to be dull enough to not be a danger.

So if we can use it for purposes not related for weapon, think of all the uses you could have.. 

A shard rake or a shard watering can! Wyndle will be ecstatic! 

• Chaos locked this topic