[OB] Stormlight Reread & Shallan Character Analysis

Alderant

Very much looking forward to this! I am also someone who fell in love with Shallan in the first two books, and think BS has done a fantastic job crafting such a complex character. Although I did struggle with her in OB (still love her, but she was tough to read in this one at times) and I haven't been able to jump into a reread myself (OB kind of put a damper on the series for me at the moment), it will be fantastic to get your perspective on her character after a Shallan focused reread of the series. Good luck! And can't wait to see your thoughts and analysis :)

Edited by GarrethGrey
Edit

Great start! I like the organization and your discussion definitely brought the chapter back to my mind well.

Interesting that so far all of Shallan’s lack of confidence seems to be of the kind that could be directly attributed to her isolated Vorin upbringing. From some of the examples you pointed out: not setting a price with a porter would probably be because she has no idea what is appropriate (or at least in Karbranth), disliking her own looks because they don’t fit the Alethi (dominant Vorin culture) ideal. We know later that she has far more traumatic reasons to have a lack of self confidence but none of that seems apparent yet, indicating that she is already very skilled at burying anything she doesn’t want to think about.

The line about her hating to be duplicitous is curious. Nothing else you discussed in the chapter seems to support that statement. By the end of OB this statement does not fit her at all. I wonder if it truly is an accurate statement at this point but changes over time or if even then she in fact loves being duplicitous so much that she doesn’t even realize it.

1 hour ago, BraidedRose said:

Great start! I like the organization and your discussion definitely brought the chapter back to my mind well.

Interesting that so far all of Shallan’s lack of confidence seems to be of the kind that could be directly attributed to her isolated Vorin upbringing. From some of the examples you pointed out: not setting a price with a porter would probably be because she has no idea what is appropriate (or at least in Karbranth), disliking her own looks because they don’t fit the Alethi (dominant Vorin culture) ideal. We know later that she has far more traumatic reasons to have a lack of self confidence but none of that seems apparent yet, indicating that she is already very skilled at burying anything she doesn’t want to think about.

The line about her hating to be duplicitous is curious. Nothing else you discussed in the chapter seems to support that statement. By the end of OB this statement does not fit her at all. I wonder if it truly is an accurate statement at this point but changes over time or if even then she in fact loves being duplicitous so much that she doesn’t even realize it.

Yeah, I thought that was curious as well. I'm sticking that one on my "keeping this under observation" board, for the exact reasons you pointed out. Doing this in-depth analysis really kind of brings things to the forefront I'd never really thought about before.

As to the organization, thanks! I try really hard to make my thoughts coherent. Would it be easier in your opinion to have a separate document for each chapter, or to continue on in the same document and note any changes that appear in a different color or font or something?

@Alderant Loved the first chapter.  I especially loved the foreshadowing about cracked pottery; absolutely brilliant how that gets picked up 2.5 books later!  I'll be curious to see how you tie later things in as you get to them. 

20 minutes ago, Alderant said:

Would it be easier in your opinion to have a separate document for each chapter, or to continue on in the same document and note any changes that appear in a different color or font or something?

On this, because I think some of your thoughts on later chapters may influence how you think about items in earlier chapters, maybe easier to put in one document and highlight what is new in an earlier chapter?  But honestly whatever is easiest for you.  This is a big project, and thank you for sharing with all of us.  Can't wait to read!

1 hour ago, Alderant said:

Would it be easier in your opinion to have a separate document for each chapter, or to continue on in the same document and note any changes that appear in a different color or font or something?

One point in favor of keeping it in one document (especially for you) is that it would make it easier to search, which may become helpful once it inevitably gets long. But I agree with what others said, if you find it easier another way, no complaints here!

2 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

Really good stuff Alderant!

Would you also mind posting in the forum each time? Would be easier to quote that way, for discussion. Maybe behind spoiler tag so the length is removed.

Uhh sure! Maybe I'll do both. That way I can have a document that tracks changes to her personality, as well as the ability to nest the chapters by book.

@Alderant thank you for structuring this in the way you have. I'll admit I was wary at first, but the fact that you have a detailed breakdown of the character and her motivations and foreshadowing, and have a section at the end specifically for the shipping aspects of your detail make me actually want to continue reading this. 

I'm so used to the focus being on ships here that it's very nice to see an actual character analysis in which the ship is only one of many facets. 

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

@Alderant thank you for structuring this in the way you have. I'll admit I was wary at first, but the fact that you have a detailed breakdown of the character and her motivations and foreshadowing, and have a section at the end specifically for the shipping aspects of your detail make me actually want to continue reading this. 

I'm so used to the focus being on ships here that it's very nice to see an actual character analysis in which the ship is only one of many facets. 

Thanks. I think she’s a really complex character, and deserves the time and effort, but I also think that any analysis of her without at least mentioning the shipping would be to leave something out. As I said in the OP though, I’ll try to keep it as uncontentious as possible on my part. I appreciate having you on here for the discussion!:D

Edited by Alderant

16 minutes ago, Alderant said:

Thanks. I think she’s a really complex character, and deserves the time and effort, but I also think that any analysis of her without at least mentioning the shipping would be to leave something out. As I said in the OP though, I’ll try to keep it as uncontentious as possible on my part. I appreciate having you on here for the discussion!:D

I don't disagree with that statement at all. It existing doesn't bother me. It overshadowing the character is what does. Which is why I said thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Alderant said:

Chapter 5 is up!

I agree, no direct foreshadowing in this chapter, but more mounting evidence of the mental schism she places on herself. Denial of her past is both overtly mentioned in chapter three, and with knowledge of future events to see these things in context, the lies she tells herself are already apparent. She's not the timid creature she tells herself she is, but she believes she should be. 

Mmm, lies. 

20 minutes ago, Alderant said:

Chapter 5 is up!

Good read. It's really useful to read your analysis, as I can refine my image of Shallan as a character and let it evolve. It also gives me a chance to re-read Shallan's parts in WoK and WoR! I admit I wasn't a fan of her chapters when I initially read the trilogy, so this is a good opportunity to fix that.

Edited by Vissy

@Alderant I thought your analysis was really good, I'm excited to see the categorical analysis of later chapters (I really like the categories you are analysing this by, by the way). I especially like (as others have already mentioned) the broken pottery bit. Makes me wonder if Brandon has a similar view of pottery as an extended metaphor for Spiritual Being like Philip K. Dick does. Works on a lot of levels, but really nicely put together. Excited to read the next installment!

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the analysis of her code switching in her attitude between Yalb and Jasnah/King T. At the risk of jumping ahead of you, in Chapter 8, Nearer the Flame, she starts out with a polite tone with the book Merchant, and only becomes bitingly sarcastic when the merchant sets her on edge from his assumptions. While I don't disagree that your reasoning is entirely plausible, her deference could also be due to familiarity with the crew of the Wind's Pleasure and the need to impress Jasnah as she asks for a wardship. I'll be interested to follow this thread especially to see what you dig up to really get to the bottom of her rational between the differences in her mannerisms, especially to see if those attitudes have a marked change when she needs something from the person she interacts with or not.

"Dress poor when asking for small favors, dress rich when asking for large ones." Sort of along that rationale.

4 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the analysis of her code switching in her attitude between Yalb and Jasnah/King T. At the risk of jumping ahead of you, in Chapter 8, Nearer the Flame, she starts out with a polite tone with the book Merchant, and only becomes bitingly sarcastic when the merchant sets her on edge from his assumptions. While I don't disagree that your reasoning is entirely plausible, her deference could also be due to familiarity with the crew of the Wind's Pleasure and the need to impress Jasnah as she asks for a wardship. I'll be interested to follow this thread especially to see what you dig up to really get to the bottom of her rational between the differences in her mannerisms, especially to see if those attitudes have a marked change when she needs something from the person she interacts with or not.

"Dress poor when asking for small favors, dress rich when asking for large ones." Sort of along that rationale.

Your argument is perfectly valid. It was something I noticed and wanted to mark down, but you might have a point. Ill have to see where the analysis takes me—I think 8 is the next Shallan chapter. 

3 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Considering I generally have minimal interest in Shallan I expected to skim this post and never return to it. Imagine my surprise when I ended up reading it all :P. Nice analysis, maybe I will end up viewing Shallan differently. 

I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far! Helping more people enjoy the character like I do and understand her better was the point of the analysis, after all. :D

Keep in mind that a book merchant is a part of the "middle class" - a part of the merchant caste, if you will. They would naturally be of a higher nahn, perhaps even being lighteyed, compared to Yalb who is, well, clearly quite low in the social ranking. I think her disparate treatment of Yalb and the book merchant is only further proof of her deep-seated classism.