Darkside oddity? (Volume 2 spoilers)

TruthlessofNalthis

Hey all, just got through my second read through of Volume 2, and something caught my attention the second time through. 

Spoiler

When the professor is flashbacking back to when Baon came back to camp after the captains and his Lts. were killed, they were shown to be in an area very similar to Dayside, either the Kertz or some place near there. I was under the impression from Volume 1 

Spoiler

and the prose

that it took place on Darkside, close to the Dynasty border. 

Was this something they changed or am I simply mis-remembering something? 

Other than that has anyone caught sight of our favorite trickster? Last I heard the musician from the first volume was the best suspect and I didn't sense any new contenders this volume. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the betrayal did happen Dayside, but not sure.

But to the other question, I think I did catch sight of him, but going by a different name (I left the library copy of v2 in the car, so I forget the name, but bear with me.

Khriss asks Baon about a particular figure from Darkside - someone who supposedly had magic.  The way they discuss it, and the way Khriss acts otherwise, it seems as if Investiture isn't normally a thing on Darkside.  She admits now that his "magic" may be real, when she didn't believe it before, but Baon says he believes because he's seen it from that guy.  

Also, that individual is evidently supposed to be hundreds of years old.

Whenever I run across a character who's very old and has magic that is alien to his surroundings, I bet on Hoid.

On 3/12/2018 at 6:06 PM, WalksIntoMordor said:

I thought the betrayal did happen Dayside, but not sure.

But to the other question, I think I did catch sight of him, but going by a different name (I left the library copy of v2 in the car, so I forget the name, but bear with me.

Khriss asks Baon about a particular figure from Darkside - someone who supposedly had magic.  The way they discuss it, and the way Khriss acts otherwise, it seems as if Investiture isn't normally a thing on Darkside.  She admits now that his "magic" may be real, when she didn't believe it before, but Baon says he believes because he's seen it from that guy.  

Also, that individual is evidently supposed to be hundreds of years old.

Whenever I run across a character who's very old and has magic that is alien to his surroundings, I bet on Hoid.

I remember the betrayal happening Darkside too.  Wouldn't surprise me if that's a mistake in the GN.

Sorry, I don't think that's Hoid.  Hoid would never put himself in a position of visibility and responsibility.  Plus, Bavadin isn't exactly fond of him, and I don't think he'd draw attention to himself that way.

The random bard with the giant lute is a much better candidate.

Edited by RShara

This is something that confused me, as someone who hasn't read the prose.

They didn't explicitly say that the encounter was on Darkside, but (1) I don't know what guarded Dayside border they'd be referring to and (2) no border guard on Dayside would have guns (which they seem to think was the case). 

This is probably worth  mentioning in the WS2 typos thread @TruthlessofNalthis.

From what I remember of the prose (it's been a bit) and from what's implied in the Graphic novel + map Darkside is literally on the opposite side of the planet. 

And I'm starting to believe that the musician is Hoid. I've spotted him three times in volume 2, which makes him the character with the most appearances outside of the main cast. 

14 hours ago, WalksIntoMordor said:

Spoiler

In the novel they (Baon and Khriss) talk about Sky Colors and it's implied to be their magic. 

Spoiler

In fact Khriss gets kind of upset when she can't use her Sky Colors to go with her outfit.

It seems that in the Graphic Novel they are calling them Shifting Colors instead. Either way I don't expect we'll get an answer to this one unless we get White Sand Volume 4, part 2, book 2, or what ever it's going to end up being called. 

As far as the Darkside Border, they've talked about how there's multiple countries on Darkside, with Dynasty being the largest. Khriss, her fiance, and the professors are from another country trying to Stop Dynasty from taking over theirs. 

Edited by TruthlessofNalthis
I'm a big dumb and forgot to proofread.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

I thought that Darkside and Dayside were separated by ocean, so there wouldn't be any (land-based) Dayside-Dynasty border to guard.  

Edit: Here's the Dayside map: https://coppermind.net/wiki/File:Dayside_map.jpg

Yeah, but that's a weird thing either way.

Presumably the border its referring to was some very early stage of their journey, before they boarded a ship for Dayside in the first place.

I guess... perhaps an alternate translation is that the "border guards" keep Darksiders from going to Dayside entirely. So when Khriss and her people fled they were chased all the way across the ocean to Dayside. And then Baon killed these border guards who had given them chase.

14 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

Yeah, but that's a weird thing either way.

Presumably the border its referring to was some very early stage of their journey, before they boarded a ship for Dayside in the first place.

I guess... perhaps an alternate translation is that the "border guards" keep Darksiders from going to Dayside entirely. So when Khriss and her people fled they were chased all the way across the ocean to Dayside. And then Baon killed these border guards who had given them chase.

I think the border their referring to is between different countries on Darkside.  I'll refrain from saying anything more because I don't want to accidentally reveal information from the prose.  

On 3/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, WalksIntoMordor said:

Said individual has been brought up as a possibility before in the Hoidspotting topic and it's definitely not him. First, as RShara noted Skathan is far too prominent a figure (especially given that Bavadin doesn't like Hoid) and taking that sort of role is way outside of Hoid's usual way of operating. Also, we have a WoB that Hoid's role the the prose version was an offhand reference to an old case of Ais'. As Skathan (or the equivalent prose character, the name changed) is mentioned multiple times and never in that context, there is no possible way for them to be Hoid's secret identity.

Edited by Weltall